I am not understanding this Montreal weather, seriously. WTF IS GOING ON? Excuse my language… but like… it’s supposed to be July, ergo it’s supposed to be MID-SUMMER & OUR TANS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ON FLEEK RIGHT NOW! But they ain’t!
ANYWHO, in other news, I’m FINALLY bringing you munchkins my MOMMA’S FAMOUS CHICKEN SALAD (But the healthier version!). In fact, those of you who knew my mom know she was legit famous for this shredded chicken salad that she would make EVERY TIME we had leftover chicken in the fridge! (BUT DON’T WORRY IF YOU DON’T – I’LL TELL YOU EXACTLY HOW TO MAKE SHREDDED CHICKEN!).
It was almost a tradition to have loads of this stuff spread on two perfectly toasted slices of bread (It wasn’t sprouted at the time BUT NOW IT WILL BE! Ezekiel FTW!) every Sunday for lunch!
Before I get into the nitty-gritty of this baby, I just want to go on a little rant, LIKE A REALLY SMALL ONE, I SWEAR! I don’t know about you babies but just like my mom was, I’m a firm believer in tradition & keeping it alive! And so, you can imagine that having spent so much time in the kitch watching my mom cook up storms (since she was like THE BEST HOSTESS EVER, no joke, THE HOSTESS WITH THE MOSTEST), I just so happened to memorize a couple of her recipes & little recipe hacks & tricks!
I absolutely adore adding a little hint of something I learned from her to my recipes or using her recipes as inspiration to create one of my own slightly modified versions!
For one, SHE WAS THE BEST COOK EVER SO I KNOW THAT WHEN THE RECIPE IS INSPIRED BY HER, IT’LL BE DELISH.
Second, this is me keeping tradition alive, IN THE SAME WAY I KNOW SHE WOULD WANT ME TO!
And third, it’s a beautiful way for me to keep her legacy alive & to reminisce about all the long & late days & nights I spent in the kitch with her! (Little did she know I was taking TONS OF MENTAL NOTES!).
All this to say, MY MOM IS & WAS AWESOME & she inspired me IN SO MANY WAYS, SHAPES & FORMS.
I miss & love her like hell. & Adding her special touch to my recipes WARMS MY HEART & TUMMY SO MUCH & makes them THAT MUCH BETTER! <3
Anywho lovies, even though I call this the “HEALTHIER” VERSION, this chicken salad is still tots inspired by her. In fact, all that really changes is that instead of using real Mayo, I subbed it for some vegan Mayo by Earth Island & replaced the olive oil with freshly squeezed lemon juice!
NOW, not only is this babe clean, healthy, quick, simple & easy to whip up, but she’s also YET ANOTHER PERFECT MEAL PREP SOLUTION for all you busy bodies, ambitious professionals & social butterflies who simply do not have hours upon hours to spend in the kitch! (I totally understand. Trust me. That’s why I AM HERE!).
What’s also great about this baby (I mean, WHAT ISN’T?!?!… that’s the real question!) is how versatile she is! You can eat her & devour her & lick your fingers post-devouring sesh IN SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS – I’m talking in a sandwich, a pita pocket, a burrito or wrap, as a salad topper, in a Buddha bowl, on crackers or flatbread, in a lettuce wrap, stuffed in a red pepper or zucchini OR EVEN AS IS!
Basically, THIS BABY WILL PAIR WELL WITH ALMOST ANYTHING! & this is why it’s so freaking useful (& need I mention, AMAZING) to prep her on a Sunday & have her ready for the week! You can seriously DEVOUR HER IN A DIFFERENT WAY EACH DAY (& you will never get sick of her anyways!).
OKAY, now without further ado, WANNA KNOW JUST HOW F-AMAZING THE COMBINATION OF SHREDDED CHICKEN, ONION, GARLIC, VEGAN MAYO, LEMON JUICE & LOADS OF SPICES IS?! I know. I would wanna know too… & so… HERE WE GO LOVIES! (P.S. Admit you love me that much more because of the simplicity of these ingredients… like I seriously cannot make your lives ANY easier at this point).
OKAY, I’m seriously about to start now. SORRY! (Not sorry).
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 3-4 cups of shredded chicken;
- 1 medium red onion, DICED TINY-AF;
- 2-3 stalks of celery, DICED TINY-AF;
- 2 cloves of garlic, CRUSHED;
- 1/2 cup of vegan mayo (I use Vegenaise);
- The juice of two small/medium lemons;
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1/2 tsp. of onion powder;
- 1/4 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- Organic pink Himalayan sea salt for seasoning!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?!?
- For starters, place your chicken breasts into a saucepan & pour in enough water to make sure they are COVERED!
- Place the saucepan over MEDIUM HEAT, bring to a boil & simmer until the chicken meat is no longer pink! This should take about 10-12 minutes BUT I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DO 18310830242 OTHER THINGS INSTEAD OF FOCUSING ON YOUR CHICKEN, MY LOVES! And let me tell you, nobody likes overcooked chicken, SO ALL THIS TO SAY, WATCH YOUR CHICKEN, BABIES!
- Once the chicken breasts are cooked (a.k.a. it is no longer pink!), transfer them to a bowl, allow the babes to cool & shred the chicken with two forks UNTIL IT’S SHREDDED-AF!
- NOW, add all your sauce ingredients to a bowl & MIX THE EFF OUT OF ‘EM until fully combined & a beautifully-rich white & creamy sauce is born! (P.S. In case you munchkins need EXTRA instructions, the sauce ingredients are EVERYTHING, except the chicken, onion & celery!).
- NOW that you have a GORG-AF SAUCE, throw in your shredded chicken, onion & celery & STIR THE EFF OUT OF ALL THIS BEAUTIFULNESS TO COMBINE!
- P.S. This babe of a salad will stay well if refrigerated in an airtight container for up to one week!