Kelly’s Clean-Eating Homemade Mayo-Free-But-Creamy-AF Baba-Ganoush a.k.a. The-Simplest-Most-Beautifully-Textured-Smooth-Decadent-Lush-Thick-Silky-Velvety-&-Obviously-Delish-Dip-&-Spread!
Happy SUNDAY FUNDAY!!
I hope you all had a great weekend so far!
For a lot of you, today is MEAL PREP DAY & so, I thought it would be fitting to add YET ANOTHER thing to your “to prep” list! (As if your list wasn’t long enough!)
What am I talking about, you ask?
NONE OTHER THAN HOMEMADE CLEAN-AF BABA GANOUSH!
(HINT: No mayo & just a wee-bit of extra-virgin olive oil!
Loads of grass-fed Greek yogurt!
Garlic, fresh parsley & SPICES FOR DAYS!!!
SHE WILL HAVE YOU HEAD OVER HEELS INSTANTLY!
NOW THAT YOU’VE BEEN TEASED, why is she worthy of your time & effort? UH, CAUSE SHE’S DELISH! No, but seriously loves, this baby is PERFECT for meal prep because she can act as a great side to pair with veggies, tortilla or pita chips or even as a great protein & healthy fats-rich spread for your wrap or sandwich! Ya feel me?
Basically, when this baby is ready in the fridge, you can guarantee that you will NEVER EVER be faced with a boring sandwich or wrap again – SHE’LL SPICE IT UP STAT! I mean… you know how much us Mediterranean peeps love our spices, right? (I think it’s fair to say my recipes are a trusty indication of that trend!).
ANYWHO, have you munchkins ever looked at a recipe & rolled your eyes thinking… “AS IF… There is no way I am ever putting myself to the challenge to make that… it’s WAY TOO COMPLICATED & probably takes two hours”? I know you have. We all have. WELCOME TO THE STORY OF MAH LIFE & one of the million reasons this blog exists (& why my posts are so freaking detailed & long!).
I absolutely adore simplicity & figuring out NEW, EASY, MOST-OF-THE-TIME QUICK ways to make DELISH (& OBVI, HEALTHY) EATS & well… TODAY, THAT CHALLENGE IS BABA GANOUSH! I’m taking y’all back to my roots-ish! You’ve noticed I like to do that every now & then, right?
Now, I know how hopeless it could be to look at those eggplants & ask yourself how on earth they become this beautifully-textured smooth, decadent, lush, creamy, thick, silky, velvety DELICIOUS dip… BUT WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE HOW SIMPLE IT IS. YOU’LL FREAK THE F OUT.
What’s it taste like, you ask!? Uber SILKY, creamy, decadent, VELVETY, SMOOTH, slightly sweet & the perfect balance of savory and tangy from the lemon and tahini. It’s so lush and creamy you can hardly believe it’s CLEAN, GLUTEN-FREE & GOOD-AF FOR YOU.
Oh & it doesn’t require gobs of oil. #winning! Replaced the oil with tahini & lemon juice & BAM!
Ladies & gents, this is Kelly’s Clean-Eating Homemade Mayo-Free-But-Creamy-AF Baba-Ganoush a.k.a. The-Simplest-Most-Beautifully-Textured-Smooth-Decadent-Lush-Thick-Silky-Velvety-&-Obviously-Delish-Dip-&-Spread!
P.S. Did you guys know that TAHINI is actually pretty freaking good for you?
It’s rich in tons of different minerals, some of which include phosphorus, lecithin, magnesium, potassium & iron (BUH-BYE ANEMIA!)
Amazing for liver detoxification (because of its methionine content!)
ONE OF THE BEST SOURCES OF CALCIUM THAT EXISTS!
Super-duper high in vitamin E & loads of B vitamins!
It helps promote HEALTHY CELL GROWTH!
AMAZING FOR MAINTENANCE OF HEALTHY SKIN & MUSCLE TONE! (This is because they are a good source of amino acids, vitamin E, B vitamins, trace minerals & fatty acids that all contribute to SKIN CELL REJUVENATION & PREVENTING EARLY SGINS OF AGING!). Down, you?
OKAY, THIS NEXT ONE IS PRETTY FREAKING AWESOME! It has 20% complete protein & this my loves makes it a higher protein source than most nuts. They also provide certain essential amino acids (which are the building blocks for protein!).
EASILY DIGESTIBLE BY OUR BODS, because it contains high alkaline mineral content, which is also great for weight loss, BTW! (Even though that should NOT be the ultimate goal. It’s all about healthy lifestyle choices & changes!)
GREAT SOURCE OF UNSATURATED (A.K.A. HEALTHY) FATS!
OKAY, SORRY ABOUT THAT. RANT OVER! (But admit that now you’re down for some tahini, right?)
MY LOVES, if you’ve ever had baba ganoush, I swear, this version might JUST blow you the off away. Don’t believe me? MUSTER UP THE STRENGTH (& lose the laziness) TO WHIP HER UP! There’s no going back, I swear!
In the meantime, while I wait for your POSITIVE AF FEEDBACK (because, I mean… let’s be honest, you can’t NOT love it!), I think I’ll just face plant into this entire bowl (or should I say BLENDER, lmfao!).
OKAY, let’s get to the nitty-gritty!
MY LOVES, YOU WILL NEED:
- 3 small eggplants or 1 medium eggplant, ROASTED ACCORDING TO INSTRUCTIONS BELOW;
- ¼ cup of fresh parsley;
- 2 tbsp. of organic fair-trade tahini;
- 1 tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil (If you want a thinner consistency, add a bit more olive oil after blending the first time if you find the baba ganoush too thick!);
- Juice of one lemon (If you want a more citrusy taste or if you want a thinner consistency, add another ½ or whole small lemon);
- ¼ cup of Greek yogurt (To make this baby vegan, use soy yogurt, cashew yogurt, or coconut milk yogurt!)
- ¼ cup of fresh parsley;
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 tsp. of cumin;
- 1 tsp. of dried parsley flakes;
- ¼ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- Sprinkle of organic Himalayan pink sea salt!
- If you want to add some spice: add in 1 tsp. of Sriracha, harissa or ½ tsp. of dried red pepper chilli flakes!
AND NOW, for that HOW-TO?!
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper & spray it with some coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil cooking spray!
- Cut your eggplant(s) in half & place them face down on the baking sheet. Bake the babes at 350F for 25 minutes, until softened, golden brown & ROASTED-AF!
- Allow the babes to cool on the baking sheet!
- Once cooled, using a spoon, squeeze the eggplant together to peel away most of the “eggplant flesh” & add it to your blender! It should be soft & tender & the skin should come off easy (If it doesn’t, it means you didn’t roast these babies properly!!!).
- NOW, once your eggplants have been fleshed AF & added to your blender, throw in all the rest of the ingredients & BLEND THE EFF OUT OF ‘EM UNTIL FULLY COMBINED & a beautifully-rich, silky & creamy consistency is obtained!
- Taste & adjust your seasonings, if necessary (As I’ve told you munchkins before, I am TOTALLY NOT A SALT PERSON! So you might feel like you need to add a bit more salt! Also, if you want a thinner baba ganoush, feel free to throw in some more lemon juice or olive oil or BOTH, based on preference!).
- SERVE THE BABY WITH PITA, PITA CHIPS, TORTILLA CHIPS, VEGGIES, SPREAD HER ON YOUR SANDWICH OR WRAP or DEVOUR AS IS! Basically, lather, smother & devour her on just about everything & anything!
- P.S. She will keep well in the fridge for up to 1 week… BUT LET’S BE HONEST, AS ALWAYS… who said she’s lasting that long? SHE AIN’T!