Gluten-Free Spaghetti Tossed with Fresh Herbs, Roasted Butternut Squash & Flakey AF Salmon Smothered in a Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce a.k.a. Flavour-Combination-Level-100-Oh-&-The-Perfect-Balance-Between-Carbs-Proteins-&-Healthy-Fats!
I hope you all had a great day!
MONTREAL SUMMER WAS FOR THE MOST PART, ON POINT TODAY, so I’m a happy camper! (For now… a.k.a. until it rains all weekend, weh!!!!!).
Tonight for dinner, MY TUMMY WAS CRAVING PASTA & y’all know my mentality when it comes to cravings… & SO PASTA IT GOT!
I whipped up this quick & easy super savoury PROTEIN-PACKED pasta dish in like 15 MINUTES… not even joking or exaggerating! What is it, you ask?! LET ME EXPLAIN.
Gluten-free spaghetti made with brown rice, amaranth & quinoa (P.S. there’s only one way to eat pasta & it’s AL DENTÉ, ALWAYS!), tossed in…
An organic roasted garlic pasta sauce (which is made with 100% organic ingredients & contains zero added sugars, salts or preservatives!!!)
Fresh parsley & basil!
Crushed fresh garlic!
SOME OF MY FAMOUS-AF BEST-EVER ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH (which yes, was already meal-prepped & ready to be devoured by yours truly – MEAL PREP, FTW!)!
& some Wild Alaskan Pink Salmon (which contains no-added salt & a great source of omega-3 fatty acids!!!)
AND, all this beautifulness seasoned with garlic powder, smoked paprika & black pepper & a sprinkle of organic Himalayan pink sea salt!
This flavour combo is simply a dream, guys!
I swear, like, the way the butternut squash pairs SO PERFECTLY with the flakey AF salmon is magically marvellous! It’s the perfect combination of natural sweetness & savouriness.
AND THEN, we have those beautiful fresh green herbs to complement that sweetness…
Oh & that beautiful garlic sauce… oh don’t get me started… I MEAN… now that you already did… WOAH. JUST WOAH! AND OF COURSE I HAD TO THROW IN MORE FRESH GARLIC (Can you tell I don’t really give a hoot about garlic breath? Oh well!).
AND ALSO… PASTA. PASTA. PASTA & MORE PASTA. I don’t know about you babies but when I hear pasta, I RUN. And by “RUN”, I mean, in the direction of said pasta, NOT RUN AWAY FROM IT. NOT NOW. NOT EVER. NEVER!
IT REALLY DOES NOT GET ANY CLEANER THAN THIS, GUYS!!! Not only is she super-duper-deliciously clean but she’s also the perfect balance between carbs, protein & healthy fats! So basically, I’m providing you with YET ANOTHER winning sitch dins & YOU LOVE ME FOREVER & EVER, RIGHT? Kay, me too!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Anyways babies, although she’s simple & NOT SO FANCY, I was still SUPER excited to share her with you!!! I know you’ve been DROOLING AF since I teased you with this baby & you tots had some other mediocre pasta for dins, BUT WORRY NOT, THIS BABY IS NOW YOURS! WELL, I MEAN… you still have to prep her but like, EVERYTHING YOU NEED IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU THANKS TO MOI!
OKAY, but first, although I don’t think I need to go on a whole rant about how good salmon is for you BECAUSE YOU MUNCHKINS HAVE PROBABLY HEARD IT OVER & OVER AGAIN (& I don’t want to sound like a broken record!).
But in a nutshell? Not only is canned salmon a very low source of mercury contamination, BUT IT’S ALSO SUPER RICH IN PROTEIN, VITAMIN D, POTASSIUM, SELENIUM, B12 CALCIUM & healthy omega-3 fats (HELLO HEART HEALTH!). I could go on for days about all the benefits, JUST LIKE I COULD ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE! But, I will stop here. WOAH, WHEN DID I DEVELOP SO MUCH SELF-CONTROL?! Lawlz!
Kay, but wait, there is just ONE THING I want to tell you munchkins! Salmon is FREAKING GREAT FOR YOU & ALL, but… unfortunately, salmon is often mislabelled. In fact, studies have indicated that as much as 70-80% of the fish marked “wild” is actually farmed… SO HOW CAN YOU TELL, RIGHT?
Basically, I’m tots aware of the reality that you munchkins are going to spend your grocery runs investigating the color & marks on salmon flesh. BUT, if the fish is pale pink (& not bright red) with wide fat marks, IT’S FARMED, SO STRAY AWAY FROM IT! & to make your lives even easier, ALWAYS AVOID ATLANTIC SALMON because typically, salmon labeled “Atlantic” comes from fish farms.
The main two designations you want to keep your eye out for (& feed your bod with!) are Alaskan Salmon & Sockeye Salmon! In fact, Alaskan sockeye is not allowed to be farmed & is bound to be wild! THIS IS WHY CANNED SALMON LABELED “ALASKAN” is your best bet! So go get the one by Earth’s Choice that I
used (DEVOURED) – It’s delish, it has no added salt & it’s LABELED ALASKAN! You’re tots winning with this baby!
OKAY, rant(s) over. NOW, LET’S GET TO THE NITTY-GRITTY.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- Your fave gluten-free spaghetti OR fettuccine, BOILED ACCORDING TO PACKAGE DIRECTIONS, a.k.a. AL DENTÉ! (I use the one by Simple Truth made from brown rice, amaranth & quinoa!);
- 1 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil (I use the one by Chuck Hughs!);
- 1 cup of organic tomato sauce (I used the Neal Brother’s Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce);
- 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar (SNUCK IT IN THERE FOR THE ADDED HEALTH BENEFITS, plus you won’t even taste it, SO DO IT!);
- 1 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup (CALL ME CRAZY. BUT DO IT! My mom’s go-to trick for her DELICIOUS PASTA SAUCE was always to add a little bit of sugar to counter the acidity of the tomato sauce. And well, since I am trying my ABSOLUTE HARDEST to avoid refined sugars at all costs, I replaced the sugar with some pure organic maple syrup & IT DID THE TRICK! THANKS MOM, love ya! <3).
- ¼ cup of fresh basil;
- ¼ cup of fresh parsley;
- 2 cloves of garlic, CRUSHED;
- 100g of my Roasted Butternut Squash (RECIPE HERE!);
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- ¼ tsp. of black pepper;
- A sprinkle of organic Himalayan pink sea salt!
- ½ to 1 can of NO-SALT ADDED Wild Alaskan Pink Salmon (OR tuna, if you prefer!);
- OPTIONAL: Parm/Romano or nutritional yeast & dried parsley flakes or red pepper chilli flakes for garnish!
SO NOW THAT WE’VE GOT THEM INGREDIENTS DOWN-PACKED, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of how to whip this baby up! Y’all ready for ‘dis? I don’t think so, BUT TOO BAD. IT’S THAT TIME!
- Boil your spaghetti according to package directions (& IF YOUR PACKAGE DON’T SAY AL DENTÉ, YOUR PACKAGE IS CRAY-CRAY & DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT LISTEN TO IT!).
- Once boiled, drain your spaghetti & rinse with cold water!
- NOW, heat 1 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive-oil in a MEDIUM skillet over MEDIUM HEAT!
- Once heated, throw (NO, DON’T ACTUALLY THROW IT!) your spaghetti, tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, basil, parsley, garlic & butternut squash the skillet & toss to combine!
- Once all these beautz ingredients are combined & the herbs begin to wilt & turn dark green, season this beautifulness with the smoked paprika, garlic powder, black pepper & pink sea salt! Toss again to combine & make sure your entire dish is evenly coated in all these gorg spices!
- Once everything is combined & YOU WANT TO DEVOUR YOUR SKILLET, remove it from the heat & throw in your flakey AF salmon/tuna. TOSS ONCE MORE TO COMBINE!
- OKAY, now… PLATE THE BABE! Top her with some Parm/Romano or nutritional yeast & some dried parsley flakes &/or red pepper chilli flakes for some spice!