Hi my loves!
Happy Monday (Yes, again!) I hope you are all having a beautiful day!
This morning, I woke you (& teased the eff out of you) to none other than something I AM FREAKING FAMOUS FOR. Lawl, just kidding. I’m totally NOT A CELEB. But, as you all know (especially if you’ve been following me for quite some time now), I ADORE ground turkey & will legit incorporate it into JUST ABOUT ANYTHING! And so, that’s why I LOVE the idea of having a container full of this yumminess meal prepped for the week.
I mean, not only is she freaking DELISH, but she makes lunches & dinners so much easier to prepare & pretty much gives me like every excuse in the world to be lazy every now & then! And I’ll admit, I’m far from being a lazy person BUT IT HITS US ALL SOMETIMES. And when it does?
THIS BABY = THE SOLUTION!
Trust me, read on & you’ll understand what I mean when I say I legit just made your day, HECK, I JUST MADE YOUR WEEK (& your life a lot EASIER). Not only does this baby give you an excuse to be lazy once she’s all prepped up, BUT SHE’S ALSO SUPER DUPER QUICK & SIMPLE TO PREPARE.
Best part? You’d never know it. The spice combination will throw the BIGGEST FREAKING PARTAY IN YOUR MOUTH (Like a huge AF “bring whoever you want” house party) & have you SERIOUSLY WOW-ed!
Ladies & gents, this is Kelly’s Go-To Gluten-Free Spiced-Up Ground Turkey a.k.a. The-Babe-Of-A-Recipe-That-Made-Me-Gain-Celeb-Status-Oh-&-Excuses-To-Be-Lazy-FTW!
But, of course, before I WOW you with the insane spice combination… it’s time for a little sesh. YEP, a sesh. YOU KNOW WHAT KIND OF SESH? A session of none other than NUTRITION-101 WITH KELLY IN THE KITCH. And today, we talk about none other than the main event of this recipe… GROUND TURKEY! Y’all ready for ‘dis? Here we go!
OKAY, first and foremost, substituting ground turkey for ground beef in burgers, tacos, spaghetti sauce & other recipes is STRONGLY SUGGESTED (Not always, but MOST OF THE TIME!). Doing so will not only reduce the saturated fat & cholesterol in your meals, but will also provide a huge boost of protein & contribute to your daily requirements for B-complex vitamins & selenium!
PROTEIN. PROTEIN. PROTEIN. A 4-ounce serving of ground turkey will provide you with 48%, yes 48 FREAKING PERCENT, of the RDV of protein required for healthy body function! And of course, you all know that protein is essential for SO MANY REASONS, some of which include ensuring maintenance of lean muscle mass, keeping insulin levels stable after meals & providing the structural materials for our cells, tissues, organs & fluid compounds, such as hormones & enzymes. HIGH PROTEIN CONTENT also means you will stay fuller longer! #winning!
Not only is she super-duper protein rich but the same serving of ground turkey will ALSO provide 50% of the RDV of niacin, which is a B-complex vitamin responsible for promoting healthy blood circulation, facilitating glucose metabolism & helping to control your cholesterol levels!
Ground turkey also contains vitamin B-6, which contributes to healthy nerve function & offers protection against heart disease!
SELENIUM! What?! Selenium is a trace mineral that supports our immune systems, controls thyroid function & protects our bods against the cellular damage that can lead to cancer or other diseases. Basically, selenium is an antioxidant!
Turkey also contains other vitamins & minerals, such as phosphorus, potassium, iron & zinc!
BASICALLY, GROUND TURKEY FTW!
(And no, this is not me telling you to never have that juicy AF beef burger). This is just me telling you that turkey is a smarter choice when it comes to saturated fat content & cholesterol, that it’s freaking delish, that it’s packed with good-for-you vitamins, minerals & nutrients and provides loads of health benefits & that it’s A GREAT EFFING IDEA TO CHANGE IT UP A BIT & incorporate this baby into your diets whenever possible!
OKAY, rant over. Now that we’ve established how freaking legit ground turkey is, if you weren’t already convinced to whip up this babe of a recipe (which would honestly really surprise me!), NOW YOU MUST BE. I mean… come on. First the food porn photos. Now that health benefit recap… WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED?
Oh right, in a perfect world, I’d come there & whip her up for you. BUT IF I DID THAT FOR ALL YOU MUNCHKINS, I’d have to make a living off making ground turkey. I mean… it doesn’t sound so bad actually. I’LL GET BACK TO YOU!
BUT, UNTIL THEN, TRY IT OUT ON YOUR OWN. You’ll be surprised at what following a recipe to a T can accomplish! SO, GO GO GO!!!
OKAY, WAIT. ALL THIS TO SAY… SHE IS:
CLEAN & HEALTHY!
Loaded with tons of vitamins, minerals & nutrients essential to your DAY-TO-DAY HEALTH
Basically, the most versatile recipe I have ever made!
OH & like I told you munchkins, she also gives you like every single excuse in the world to be LAZY AF because you can legit throw her into anything & everything not only to spice up your meals, but to give you your daily dose & fix of protein!
OK, let’s go!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- Organic virgin coconut oil cooking spray;
- 5lb of extra-lean ground turkey;
- 2 tbsp. of organic apple-cider vinegar;
- 3 tbsp. of Naked Coconuts soy-sauce substitute (or sub for gluten-free Tamari or regular soy sauce, if you prefer!);
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- 1 tsp. of ground ginger;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 1 tsp. of dried parsley flakes;
- ¼ to ½ tsp. of ground turmeric;
- ½ tsp. of chilli powder;
- ¼ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- 1/8 tsp. of organic Himalayan pink sea salt;
- OKAY, NOW YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT WHEN I SPOKE ABOUT THAT PARTY THAT THESE SPICES WOULD THROW IN YOUR MOUTH, right?!
- ¼ cup of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED!
- Heat a non-stick MEDIUM skillet over HIGH heat;
- Once heated, reduce your heat to MEDIUM & coat your skillet in the coconut oil cooking spray! Allow the oil to heat up for about 20-30 seconds, then throw in your fresh garlic! Sauté the eff out of it until browned & fragrant (A.K.A., YOUR KITCH SMELLS LIKE GARLIC HEAVEN!).
- Once the garlic is browned, lower your fire to MEDIUM-LOW.
- Add your ground turkey to the skillet & then pour the apple cider vinegar & soy-sauce substitute! Once seasoned with the ACV & the soy-sauce substitute, using a wooden spoon or spatula, start breaking the turkey apart into small chunks.
- After about a minute, ADD IN ALL ‘DEM SPICES! Once the spices are added & your skillet is legit a GORGEOUS RAINBOW (Not to mention, your kitch is slowly beginning to smell like SPICE HEAVEN!), using your wooden spoon/spatula, toss the eff out of the turkey to make sure it is all evenly coated in your beautiful spice mix! As you toss, continue breaking the turkey apart into small chunks! (If you prefer chunkier turkey meat, you can totally keep it chunkier, as opposed to breaking it apart – it’s really up to you & the texture that you prefer!).
- Cook the turkey, stirring every now & then, for about 7-9 minutes OR until no longer pink! Once cooked through, remove the skillet from the heat & allow the turkey to cool for 2-3 minutes. THEN, throw in your fresh chopped cilantro & toss again to combine!
- Once the turkey is completely cooled, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
P.S. Feel free to share any fun recipes you munchkins whip up with this baby! I may be the RECIPE QUEEN (Just kidding. I’m not that cocky), BUT I’M STILL SUPA-DUPA EXCITED TO HEAR ALL ABOUT THE MIRACLES YOU WHIP UP IN YOUR KITCHS! MUAH!
Here’s a little preview of tonight’s power bowl that I whipped up with this babe being the MAIN EVENT!