Happy SaturYAY yet again! I hope you all had a beautiful day & HAPPY ST-JEAN TO ALL MY FELLOW QUÉBECOIS! Long weekend, FTW!
Let me tell you a bit about the SITCH in my KITCH this Thursday morning! Sorry it took me so long to get this baby to you munchkins! But I promise, they were WORTH THE WAIT! In case you forget what I am referring to (Because I mean… let’s be honest, I cooked & baked up quite a few things since then #sorrynotsorry!), I’m talking about my:
VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT RAISIN OATMEAL LOG BARS!
They’re everything from:
Perfectly soft, yet crunchy!
COCONUT SUGAR SWEETENED!
Freakin’ coconut & cinnamon infused!
SUPER DUPER ÜBER EASY!
As HEARTY & DELISH as they look!
AND THEY ARE FREAKING CLEAN & HEALTHY!!
You down? I KNOW I AM! Then again… when am I not? LAWLZ!
Guys, you seriously would NEVER EVER KNOW THAT THESE BABIES DO NOT CONTAIN AN OUNCE OF DAIRY. It’s nuts. Vegan butter can literally accomplish EVERYTHING BUTTER CAN & THEN SOME!!!! I am not even kidding. These bars are seriously the perfect amount of moist on the inside but crispy & crunchy on the outside. I legit cannot put into words the perfection that they are, WHICH IS WHY I AM HERE TYPING AWAY LIKE A CRAY-CRAY PERSON so I can get these munchkins to you STAT & you can try them FIRST HAND. You know what they say, YOU ONLY KNOW ONCE YOU TRY! So get tryin’ lovies!!!
BUT WAIT. My loves, IT’S NOT A KELLY IN THE KITCH post without an ingredients tease…
Unsweetened organic coconut flakes!
Vegan butttahhhhhh (@earthbalance, LOVE YOU!) <3 <3 <3
Organic & pure maple syrup (@decacer_erable, you da bomb!)!
Pure organic vanilla extract
A touch of organic unsweetened almond milk!
HOW FREAKIN’ DELISH DOES THAT SOUND?!
I know, right?
Ladies & gents, this is Kelly’s Vegan & Gluten-Free Coconut Raisin Oatmeal Log Bars a.k.a. The-(Easiest)-Most-Perfectly-Soft-&-Moist-Yet-Crispy-&-Crunchy-Versatile-Snack-Oh-&-Hello-Fibre!
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of this baby, I just want to talk about VEGAN BUTTER FOR A SECOND! It’s got the creamiest & smoothest texture, all while having that rich buttery taste that legit MAKES any baking recipe go from ZERO TO 100 REAL QUICK. THE BEST EFFING PART? She’s got all of this, while being:
Vegan & plant-based!
Dairy & lactose-free!
Free of trans fats, MSGs & non-GMO!
An excellent source of ALA OMEGA-3s (In fact, it contains 25% of the RDV of ALA fatty acids per serving!). P.S. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the whole “omega-3 fatty acids” thing, ALA fatty acids are alpha-linolenic acids found in seeds, plants & certain vegetable oils, such as flaxseed oil, canola oil, soy, perilla & walnut oils! They are similar to the omega-3s in fish oil (EPA & DHA fatty acids). These omega-3s are beneficial for cardiovascular health, neuro-protection, inflammation response & autoimmune disease!
Made from expeller pressed oils & pea protein!
(P.S. Earth Balance makes a few other variations of the Original Vegan Butter Spread, which is the one I used! They make a soy-free version & they also make an olive-oil flavoured one, a coconut-flavoured one or an Omega-3 one, which contains added EPA/DHA & ALA fatty acids!)
Basically, YOU’RE GETTING BUTTER. LEGIT BUTTER. NO JOKE. I SWEAR. But, without all the bad stuff that comes with it!!!!! Best of both worlds sitch, TOTALLY!
OKAY, now that you munchkins are more “in the loop” about what exactly I’m talking about when it comes to VEGAN BUTTER, I think it’s time to get to the nitty-gritty! You ready for ‘dis?
WAIT! WAIT! (Yep, again, sorry!!!). I just want to tell you munchkins how freaking versatile these babes are, as well!! I mean… once they’re cut up into PERFECT (Kidding, they won’t be perfect, but who cares!) rectangular bars, these babes are super-transportable so take ’em with you to work as a side to have with your breaky, as a mid-morning snack or as an afternoon-pick me up! OR, nosh on one PRE-GYM to give yourself that extra boost of carbs & energy before going to work that bod!
OKAY, now, let’s finally get right to it!!!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 ½ cups of gluten-free rolled oats;
- 1 cup of gluten-free all purpose flour;
- 1 cup of dried unsweetened organic coconut;
- 1 tsp. of baking soda;
- ½ tsp. of sea salt;
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon;
- 1 cup of COCONUT SUGAR <3 (THIS STUFF IS FREAKING DELISH THOUGH!);
- ½ cup of vegan butter;
- 3 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup;
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- 1 tbsp. of organic unsweetened almond milk (Feel free to change it up & sub with regular milk, skim milk, soy milk, cashew milk or macadamia nut milk!)
- ¼ cup of unsweetened dried organic raisins!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?!
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a loaf pan (Is that what they’re called? I’m not even sure but I’m totz talking about that baking pan that you would make banana bread in!! You feel me?) with parchment paper!
- Add the rolled oats, flour, coconut, baking soda, sea salt & cinnamon to a LARGE mixing bowl & STIR TO COMBINE!
- CREAM the vegan butter & the coconut sugar together & then add the maple syrup & vanilla! OKAY, BUT HOW GORG IS THIS SIGHT RN? I know, right?
P.S. Here are my two fave-EVER brands of coconut sugar!
- NOW, add in the almond milk & MIX AGAIN!
- MIX THE DRY INGREDIENTS INTO THE WET ONES BY HAND! Stir until the mix is VERY, VERY, EXTREMELY CRUMBLY AF!
- Once crumbly, check if you can roll this mix into a ball – It should be sticky enough for you to be able to do so! BUT, BUT, BUT, it will still be crumbly & look almost as if it’s still too dry. However, when you try and make a ball, you’ll find it’s also very sticky! If the babe is still too crumbly, add a tiny bit more milk until it’s sticking enough to be rolled into balls!
- NOW, throw in ‘dem raisins!!!
BUT WAIT. YOU’RE NOT ACTUALLY ROLLING HER INTO BALLS. (WELL, YOU CAN IF YOU WANT TO MAKE COOKIES), BUT, this recipe is actually for AN OATMEAL LOG that will later be cut into perfect (LAWL, JK, defs not perfect) square-ish bars!
- All this to say, once your mixture is ready, flatten it into your bread pan using a wooden or rubber spatula, making sure to press it in firmly (Especially on the corners & around the edges).
- BAKE THE BABE FOR 15 MINUTES. Once baked, the edges should be firm & the top should be lightly browned. DO NOT PANIC if she is still soft – She is supposed to be & she will FIRM THE EFF UP AS SHE COOLS!
- Remove the babe from the oven & allow her to cool for a few minutes before transferring her to a wire rack to cool completely (WHO AM I KIDDING? I TOTALLY MEAN BEFORE TRANSFERRING HER TO YOUR MOUTH & ERGO, TO YOUR TUMMIES!).
- Once cooled, cut her into rectangular or square bars! IF YOU HAVE ANY LEFTOVERS, store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to ONE WEEK!
- OKAY, NOW, if you haven’t already started… DEVOUR!!