Kelly’s Clean-Eating Kale, Avocado & Steak Salad Topped with Cranberries & Toasted Almonds & Tossed in a Maple Dijon Balsamic Dressing a.k.a. Salad-For-Dinner-&-I-Ain’t-Even-Mad-Bro!
HAPPY SUNDAY FUNDAY! 🙂
HAPPY FATHER’S DAY TO ALL THE DADS OUT THERE!
OKAY, before we get down to the dirty deets of this recipe, let me first begin this post by telling you munchkins that yes, I acknowledge that I am cheating on Spinach with Kale. I am fully aware & conscious of said fact but I legit couldn’t help it. When given the choice between what goes better with steak, KALE OR SPINACH?, the obvious answer was Kale.
And so, here I am, admitting my unfaithfulness, BUT ALSO JUSTIFYING IT BECAUSE I KNOW YOU MUNCHKINS WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME!!! OKAY? P.S. I spoke to Spinach & he (somehow) forgave me. I told him I might see him (devour him) tonight, so it’s all good in the hood!
Now that we’ve established that my unfaithfulness has been excused, let’s discuss this babe of a salad!!! This is my take on…
A pepper-crusted Dijon-marinated STEAK, KALE & AVOCADO salad tossed with cucumber, purple endives, unsweetened organic dried cranberries & organic roasted almonds & SMOTHERED in a beautifully rich, creamy, clean-AF MAPLE DIJON BALSAMIC DRESSING!
HOW FREAKING DELISH THOUGH – FLAVOURFUL & DECADENT-AF!
WHAT’S WONDERFUL ABOUT THIS SALAD IS THAT IT HAS A RAW & COLD SALAD BASE BUT IS TOPPED WITH WARM GRILLED STEAK, so you get the best of BOTH WORLDS! PICTURE THAT BEAUTIFUL FIRST BITE – a perfectly crunchy piece of kale, some other deliciousness lathered in maple syrup, Dijon & balsamic AND a piece of warm-AF perfectly-pan-seared steak! WOAH.
Ladies & gents, this is Kelly’s Clean-Eating Kale, Avocado & Steak Salad Topped with Cranberries & Toasted Almonds & Tossed in a Maple Dijon Balsamic Dressing a.k.a. Salad-For-Dinner-&-I-Ain’t-Even-Mad-Bro! (YES. This salad is the answer to all your SALAD FOR DINNER PRAYERS & YES. She will actually fill you up!).
Now, aside from the ingredients, let’s talk nutrition for a sec! THIS BABE IS BURSTING WITH SATISFYING PROTEIN, NUTRIENT-RICH VEGGIES & LOADS OF HEALTHY FATS (Thanks avocado. Thanks almonds. Love you both eternally! <3).
For two BIG-AF PORTIONS (á la Kelly-in-the-Kitch!):
FOR THE STEAK:
- 1 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 2 14-16 oz. skirt, flank or hangar steaks;
- 3 tbsp. of cracked black peppercorn;
- 2 tsp. coarse salt;
- Coconut oil OR olive oil non-stick cooking spray (I use Spectrum Organics)!
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 LARGE bunch of kale, STEMS REMOVED & CHOPPED-AF;
- 1 avocado, HALVED & DICED TINY-AF;
- 1 cucumber, DICED;
- 2 purple endives, CHOPPED;
- ½ cup of organic unsweetened dried cranberries;
- ½ cup of toasted organic almonds;
- Balsamic glaze for garnish!
- OPTIONAL: ½ cup of Parmesan, nutritional yeast, Romano, shredded mozzarella, feta or goat cheese for garnish!
FOR THE DRESSING:
- ¼ cup of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- ½ cup of organic balsamic vinegar;
- 3 tsp. of organic Dijon mustard;
- 3 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup;
- 2 tbsp. of lemon juice;
- ¼ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- ½ – 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt for seasoning!
OKAY, WOW. ADMIT THOSE INGREDIENTS HAVE YOUR MIND GOING A LITTLE CRAY RN!
- Grease the circumference of your steaks with the organic extra-virgin olive oil! Salt your steaks & then press the cracked black peppercorns around the circumference! Let the babes stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, grease a MEDIUM-sized skillet with coconut or extra-virgin olive oil non-stick cooking spray. Once heated, add your steaks to the skillet & sear them until they are cooked to your desired doneness. I don’t know about you munchkins, but I’m a medium-rare girl! If you are too, cook the babes about 5 minutes per side! Otherwise, increase cooking time based on how you like your steak! BUT MUNCHKINS, if I can suggest one thing, it’s WATCH YOUR STEAK! CARE FOR YOUR STEAK! NOBODY LIKES AN OVERCOOKED DRY STEAK, okay?
- While the steaks are cookin’ & sizzlin’ (& YOU ARE KEEPING A VERY CAREFUL EYE ON THEM), chop & dice all your veggies & combine them with the cranberries & almonds in a LARGE MIXING BOWL!
- Once the babes are ready, remove them from the heat & set them aside to cool off a bit!
- Once all your veggies, cranberries & almonds are combined, whisk up your dressing! Simply add all these beautiful (but simple-AF) ingredients to a small mason jar or any small glass container with a tight fitting lid, CLOSE THE FREAKING CONTAINER (CRUCIAL – Unless you munchkins want to be covered & lathered in balsamic vinegar. WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOATS, MY LOVES!) & MIX THE EFF out of it, legit, shake it like cray! Do a little dance, make a little love, and get down tonight. KAY SORRY, I got carried away there! BUT YOU CATCH MY DRIFT – Basically, shake the container until a beautifully rich & creamy dressing consistency is obtained!
- Once the steaks have cooled off, DICE THE EFF OUT OF ‘EM! LIKE, INTO TINY LITTLE CUBES, MY LOVES! Sorry not sorry, but this is a steak salad, NOT A STEAK PLATE, so yes, you’ve got some dicing to do! Once diced, throw the steak into your veggie/cranberries & almond mix & TOSS ALL THIS GORGEOUSNESS UNTIL FULLY COMBINED!
- Once combined, season your babe of a salad with the dressing & TOSS AGAIN TO COMBINE. AS ALWAYS, make sure all your veggies are EVENLY COATED in the dressing!
- Before serving, drizzle some balsamic glaze & sprinkle on whatever cheese (or nutritional yeast) you decided to add (Because let’s be honest, the cheese should never have been optional in the first place, right?).
OH & FOOD PORN!!!
Enjoy my loves!!