Kelly’s Asian-Inspired Sweet & Savoury Quinoa Salad Tossed in a Peanut Maple & Sesame Dressing a.k.a. Crispy-Crunchy-Protein-Packed-Goodness-Oh-&-Did-Somebody-Say-ROASTED-Peanuts?-Seconds-Please!
Hi my loves!
Happy SaturYAY yet again! 🙂
I’m back & this time, to WOW you with the sitch in my kitch this morning… I’m talking my Asian-inspired sweet, savory & crunchy quinoa salad!
So many of you munchkins messaged me asking for the recipe (I mean, let’s be honest, it’s not like I wasn’t going to post it… BUT, YOUR MESSAGES MADE ME GET IT TO YOU EVEN FASTER! AND SO, here I am, typing away frantically to make you munchkins happy!).
So what does this salad consist of, you ask? Let me explain!
The base of this gorgeous, crunchy, satisfying salad is PROTEIN-RICH quinoa & a bunch of other freaking magic. Of course, I’m going to tell you all about what that “magic” is… I mean, have you met me? Would I ever leave you guessing? Come on! You know me better than that, don’t you? ANYWHO, I’ve really gotta stop ranting.
About that magic… I’m talking:
Kale & broccoli slaw!
Fresh chopped cilantro & basil!
CRUNCHY-AF ORGANIC UNSALTED ROASTED PEANUTS!
So much freaking goodness. In so little time.
Oh & the dressing…Holy eff. How & why did I get myself started?!?
What’s in her, you ask? I’m talking…
Peanut butter. Sriracha. Maple syrup. Tamari. Lime juice. Sesame oil. Rice vinegar. CRUSHED-AF PEANUTS. Ginger powder & Garlic powder!!!!!
ARE YOU STILL THERE? Are you alive?!?! I hope so, because you’ve got a heck of a freaking salad waiting for you!!!
LADIES & GENTS, I present you with Kelly’s Asian-Inspired Sweet & Savoury Quinoa Salad Tossed in a Peanut Maple & Sesame Dressing a.k.a. Crispy-Crunchy-Protein-Packed-Goodness-Oh-&-Did-Somebody-Say-ROASTED-Peanuts?-Seconds-Please!
GUYS, basically, this salad is everything from healthy, crunchy, delicious, full of good-for-you fats, vitamins & nutrients, veggie-packed, satisfying-AF & best of all, SHE IS SO EASY TO WHIP UP!!
And although she’s FREAKING delicious when devoured FRESH TO DEATH, something magical happens when she’s chilled & enjoyed the next day for lunch!!! LEFTOVERS FTW!!!!
Before we get to the nitty-gritty, let’s talk nutrition for like… one sec! PROMISE!!! This baby is packed with good-for-you fats, CONTAINS HARDLY ANY SATURATED FAT, is loaded with fibre & IS THE DEFINITION OF FREAKING PROTEIN. Basically, why… or well, HOW ON EARTH COULD YOU SAY NO TO HER? Like… seriously!
SO WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, since you have no reason to say no… IT’S ONLY YES FROM HERE! AND THAT MEANS YOU MUNCHKINS NEED A RUNDOWN OF WHAT YOU NEED TO WHIP HER UP. SO HERE WE GO!!!!
FOR THE QUINOA:
- 1 tsp. of toasted organic sesame oil (I use Maison Orphée);
- ¾ cup of dry quinoa, RINSED & DRAINED & THEN COOKED ACCORDING TO PACKAGE DIRECTIONS;
FOR THE VEGGIES FOR DAYS:
- 1 cup of frozen organic edamame (I use MacKellar Farms);
- ½ head of cauliflower (or broccoli, if you prefer), ENDS CUT & FLORETS CRUMBLED;
- 1 bell pepper, THINLY SLICED;
- 1 ½ cups of kale/broccoli slaw (or a mix of the two!) OR very thinly sliced purple or green cabbage;
- ½ cup of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- ½ cup of fresh basil, CHOPPED;
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 tbsp. of ANY nut butter of your choosing – any variation of almond, peanut or cashew butter would work best! (I used the Coconut Peanut Butter by Earth Balance);
- 1 tsp. of Sriracha (If you don’t like spicy, sub this baby for 2 tsp. of chilli garlic sauce);
- 3 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup (plus more to taste if you find the dressing isn’t sweet enough!);
- 3 tbsp. of gluten-free Tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free!);
- 3 tbsp. of lime juice;
- 2 ½ tbsp. of toasted organic sesame oil;
- 1 tbsp. of organic natural fermented rice vinegar;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 tsp. of ginger powder;
- ¼ cup of sliced organic unsalted peanuts for topping!
Okay, tell me your mouth is not freaking watering at the sight of this beautiful list of ingredients & I’LL CALL YOU THE BIGGEST LIAR ON PLANET EARTH. Like… Come on now. Let’s be honest with each other here!
& DON’T YOU WORRY, I, TOO, WAS DYING AS I BRAINSTORMED THIS RECIPE. Tell me you know that feeling when you’re SO IN THE MOOD FOR SOMETHING that just thinking about it, you could almost taste it! YEP. That was me. Fantasizing about the creamy-AF peanut butter. OH & the roasted peanuts. OH, BUT ALSO THOSE JUICY MANDARINS!
Ahhhhh. BASICALLY, I FANTASIZED ABOUT THE ENTIRE SALAD. EACH & EVERY BEAUTIFUL INGREDIENT. & THEN, I brought her to life. I brought her to life & bettered my life. And now, I’m here to better YOURS! So let me tell you how to combine all these ingredients to create WONDERFULNESS. I’m talking “unicorn-level” wonderfulness. Here we go!
- Heat a small saucepan over MEDIUM heat. Add 1 tsp. of sesame oil & the rinsed quinoa. TOAST THE QUINOA, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes & then cook the babe according to package directions! ONCE COOKED, fluff this beautifulness with a fork & remove from heat! Set aside to cool off!
- While the quinoa is cooking, CHOP ALL YOUR VEGGIES. MULTITASKING, FTW!
- Once your veggies are ready, prepare the dressing. Simply add all the freaking beautiful ingredients to a mixing bowl & WHISK THE EFF AWAY TO COMBINE! Taste the baby & adjust the seasonings, as necessary & to your liking – add more maple syrup for sweetness, Sriracha/chili garlic sauce for heat, Tamari for saltiness or lime juice for citrus/acidity! SET ASIDE!
- By now, your quinoa should be cooled off! SO, LET’S BRING ALL THIS GORGEOUSNESS TOGETHER. Add your quinoa & all your veggies & herbs to a LARGE mixing bowl!
- NOW, pour the beautiful dressing all over your quinoa & veggie mix! TOSS THE EFF OUT OF ALL YOUR GORGEOUS INGREDIENTS until they are all COMBINED & EVENLY COATED in the beauty that is this dressing! Serve STAT!
- P.S. Honestly, I find this baby is best when served fresh, BUT she does keep well in the fridge for up to 2-3 days! SO… GUESS WHAT THAT MEANS? SHE’S MEAL-PREP-FRIENDLY!!!! Ya dig?
- DEVOUR MY LOVES!!!
OH & FOOD PORN!!!