Gluten-Free & Vegan Oatmeal Flax Chocolate Chip Cookies a.k.a. That-Guilt-Free-Soft-&-Chewy-Burst-Of-Chocolatey-Oaty-Wonderfulness!
Happy FriYaY & most importantly, HAPPY WEEKEND!!!! 🙂
Unfortunately, it looks like it’s going to be a rainy one for us Montrealers… BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? That’s not SO MUCH of a bad thing… Want to know why? IT’S THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU MUNCHKINS TO GET BUSY IN THE KITCH. And let me tell you, this recipe is the perfect place to start!!!
I mean, what’s better than a warm, chocolatey, oaty, crispy but chewy FREAKING COOKIE on a rainy-AF-nothing-to-do-but-pig-out day? NADA!!!
And so, without further ado, let us discuss the SITCH IN MY KITCH this afternoon! I’m talking GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN, DAIRY-FREE, PLANT BASED OATMEAL FLAX CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES. And wait… these babes are NOT JUST ANY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE. They are freaking soft, chewy oatmeal cookies bursting with oats & chocolate chips! WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR TO START YOUR WEEKEND, LITERALLY?!
These babes are not only packed with GLUTEN-FREE ROLLED OATS, but are also loaded-AF with OAT FLOUR! A.k.a. YOU’RE GETTING YOUR OAT FIX TWO-WAYS HERE BABES! And my loves, not only are you getting a massive wonderfully-delicious freaking oats fix (along with all the amazing benefits those little crumbles of deliciousness offer) with these cookies, BUT YOU ARE ALSO DEVOURING A COOKIE (COOKIE-MONSTER-STYLE) THAT YOU CAN FEEL AWESOME ABOUT EATING! (And not feel guilty about if you eat like two. Or three. Or four. OOPS!).
No but seriously, in a nutshell, these babes are:
Made with simple & whole ingredients!
They’ll be crispy the first day & then soft & deliciously chewy the next!
They are mouthwatering with chocolate goodness!
PACKED with oats in TWO FORMS!
Texture-rich & freaking DIVINE!
Dairy-free, whole grain, vegan & gluten-free!
THE MOST DELISH WAY TO ENJOY YOUR OATS & still have your COOKIE!!!!
LADIES & GENTS, these are my Gluten-Free & Vegan Oatmeal Flax Chocolate Chip Cookies a.k.a. That-Guilt-Free-Soft-&-Chewy-Burst-Of-Chocolatey-Oaty-Wonderfulness!
So basically, these cookies are EVERYTHANG! And this is why I COULD NOT wait to share this recipe with you babes! Admit you’ve been dreaming about munching, crunching, devouring on these beauties & licking your fingers clean of all that chocolatey wonderfulness! JUST ADMIT IT. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Nothing at all. I am not judging you. I never would <3.
And now, since THANKS TO ME (& NUTRITION-101 SESSIONS), you munchkins already know all about the BENEFITS OF OATS & FLAX & MAPLE SYRUP, without further ado, let’s get to the nitty-gritty!
Just kidding!!! I HAVEN’T HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO RANT ABOUT THE BENEFITS OF COCONUT SUGAR. And so… it’s that time. TIME FOR A SHORT & SWEET (No pun intended) SESH of NUTRITION-101 WITH KELLY IN THE KITCH & today, we tackle… coconut sugar!!!
Coconut sugar is A NATURAL SUGAR derived from the coconut palm tree & is touted as being MORE NUTRITIOUS & LOWER ON THE GLYCEMIC INDEX (as I’ve mentioned before, the GI index is simply a measure of how quickly foods raise blood sugar levels, i.e. glucose is given a GI of 100 & if a food has a GI of 50, this means it raises blood sugar ½ as much as pure glucose!) THAN SUGAR. REFINED SUGAR IS FREAKING BAD FOR YOU. I could go on for days about why, but in a nutshell, regular table sugar & high fructose corn syrup do not contain any vital nutrients & therefore supply “EMPTY CALORIES!”
HOWEVER, the amazing thing about coconut sugar is that it retains quite a bit of the nutrients found in the coconut palm! In fact, research has shown that coconut sugar actually contains several nutrients, such as iron, zinc, calcium & potassium ALONG WITH some short-chain fatty-acids, polyphenols & antioxidants! These phytonutrients help reduce blood sugar, inflammation & cholesterol, making coco sugar a better option than many other sweeteners!
OHHHH AND! Coconut sugar also contains a fiber called INULIN, which may slow glucose absorption & explain why coconut sugar has a lower GI index than regular sugar! This makes coconut sugar a healthier alternative to those dealing with diabetic concerns. OH & speaking of INULIN, this fiber also has the ability to stimulate the growth of intestinal bifidobacteria commonly found in probiotics, which can provide an overall boost to the immune system! BASICALLY, COCO SUGAR HELPS RESTORE GOOD BACTERIA IN THE GUT & IS THEREFORE GOOD FOR YOUR GUT!!!
OKAY, I’m done! NOW, IT’S FINALLY TIME FOR THE NITTY-GRITTY. Sorry not sorry, but I just taught you a thing or two, SO THANK ME! OKAY?
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill);
- 1 cup of gluten-free oat flour (Also Bob’s Red Mill);
- ½ tsp. of organic non-GMO baking powder;
- ½ tsp. of baking soda;
- ¼ tsp. of salt;
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp. of MELTED organic virgin coconut oil (I use Naked Coconuts!);
- ¼ cup of organic coconut sugar (I use Grace Organics);
- ¼ cup of pure organic maple syrup (I use Decacer);
- 2 tbsp. of organic ground flaxseed (I use Bob’s Red Mill!);
- 6 tbsp. of water;
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract (I use Simply Organic);
MIX-INS (Yes, they are 200% necessary!):
- ¾ – 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chocolate Chips!);
- ½ cup of gluten-free rolled oats;
- OPTIONAL: 2 EXTRA tbsp. of vegan chocolate chips for topping!
Now, how do you whip all this deliciousness into the most perfectly-perfect oatmeal cookies? LET ME EXPLAIN!
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet (or two) with parchment paper! Set aside.
- In a MEDIUM MIXING BOWL, whisk together them dry ingredients… Yep, them oats, the oat flour, the baking powder, baking soda & salt!
- In a LARGE MIXING BOWL (You need room my loves! NOBODY LIKES IT WHEN THE MIX SPLASHES LEGIT EVERYWHERE MID-MIX, right?) So listen to me & use a BIG bowl, okay?. Anywho, back to that large bowl! WHISK TOGETHER ALL THEM WET INGREDIENTS… (YES, the coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup, flax & water & vanilla extract!) until thoroughly combined & resembles CARAMEL. Yes, you read right. FREAKING CARAMEL!
- Once caramel-status is obtained, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients & whisk the eff out of this beautifulness until the wet & dry are THOROUGHLY COMBINED!
- Fold in the mix-ins – A.K.A. THEM VEGAN CHOCO CHIPS & MORE FREAKING OATS (Nope, in case you were wondering, the first batch of oats in this babe of a batter wasn’t enough. I just HAD TO add more!).
- Scoop 2-tablespoon BALLS OF COOKIE DOUGH onto the prepared baking sheets. I don’t know about you munchkins but for me, an oatmeal cookie ain’t an oatmeal cookie if she ain’t huge!!!! If you munchkins prefer small or medium-sized cookies, scoop about 1 to 1.5 tbsp. balls instead.
- IF ADDING, press the optional EXTRA CHOCO CHIPS into the tops of your babies, oops I mean cookies!!!! (But you knew that. I mean, COOKIES. BABIES. SAME DIFFERENCE, RIGHT?)
- BAKE THE BABIES FOR 10-12 MINUTES! (I baked mine for 10 then added an extra 2 minutes just to get the edges extra browned & crisp!).
- USING A FLAT SPATULA, CAREFULLY (I warned you. I said to do it carefully. IF YOU GET ALL WILD & CRAY-CRAY WITH YOUR SPATULA, I am not liable for broken oatmeal cookies, kay?) lift your babies off the baking sheet & transfer them to a cooling rack.
- ALLOW THESE MUNCHKINS TO COOL COMPLETELY BEFORE DEVOURING.
- Once again, this step is completely & utterly useless. There is no way you are waiting before tasting these. LIKE NO WAY. NO WAY EVER! Just the smell will have you devouring them the second they’re fresh out the oven. I swear, you might just burn yourself with how QUICKLY YOU GRAB ONE, OR TWO, OR THREE off the baking sheet (But, please, try not to! BURNS AREN’T FUN! Use your oven mitts, people! I know… they’re at the back of that bottom drawer. You don’t feel like bending down & reaching for them, BUT DO IT!).
- Store the babies (IF… KEYWORD: IF, you have any leftovers) in an airtight container at ROOM TEMPERATURE for up to one week!
- YOU CAN ALSO FREEZE THESE BABES. If you decide to double your batch & do so, store the babes in an airtight container in the freezer for up to one month! Allow the BABES to thaw at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before you devour them OR heat ‘em in the microwave in 20-second increments until they are warm & moist & fluffy & crispy & oatmeal-y & chocolate-y & PERFECT!!
- Enjoy babies & by enjoy, I TOTALLY MEAN DEVOUR!!!!
OH & FOOD PORN!!!