Hi my loves!!
MID-WEEK CELEBRATIONS? Yes. ALMOST THE WEEKEND? Sorta!
But until the weekend, ERGO until your happiness comes naturally, I whipped up a lil’ something special this morning that will MAKE YOU, OR AT LEAST, YOUR TUMMY HAPPY. Are you ready for ‘dis?
SITCH IN MY KITCH THIS MORNING? Me counting down the hours until it’s appropriate to use my food processor without waking up the entire neighbourhood, let alone my fam. AH, THE JOYS OF WKAING UP AT 5:30 AM!!!!
No, but seriously, this morning, I whipped up freaking masterpieces… I’M TALKIN’:
VEGAN QUINOA BURGERS!!!!!
My goodness guys, I don’t know how I did this. How I came up with this. Where I get these ideas. But MAN, OH MAN, ARE THESE FREAKING DELICIOUS!!!!!
AND, OF COURSE, not only are these babes delish-AF, THEY ARE ALSO SUPER SIMPLE TO MAKE! They contain ONLY 12 ingredients (all of which you most certainly have, a.k.a. no need to run to the grocery store!!!!) (& NOPE, water doesn’t count!) & can be made completely in your food processor!!!!
AND, they have the most beautiful flavour profile – Spice-wise (of course!)
Sea salt & black pepper!
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s Clean-Eating Vegan Quinoa Burgers a.k.a. Deliciously-Perfect-But-Not-So-Perfectly-Round-Crispy-On-The-Outside-But-Soft-ish-On-The-Inside-Guilt-Free-Burgers-Oh-&-Seconds-Please! (+ My Lunch Bowl Goals With These Babes!)
These babes also go well with like EVERYTHING! You can serve ‘em as a LEGIT BURGER (BURGER BUN, ketchup, relish, mustard, pickles, onions & sliced tomatoes style) or even to top off a Buddha bowl or a salad!! And get this, you can even make these munchkins MINI so they become kind of like “QUINOA MEATBALLS!!!!” HOW CUTE? Right?
BY THE WAY, SPEAKING OF BUNS, if you munchkins are wondering what my fave gluten-free burger buns are, here we go!
I am OBSESSSSSSED WITH THE UDI’S ones! They are whole-grain & freaking AIRY-AF!! They are packed with fibre & have a very neutral flavour, which means… YOU CAN FLAVOUR THEM YOURSELVES WITH YOUR FAVE VEGGIES, BURGERS & INGREDIENT COMBOS & all this, without compromising flavour!!!
I’ve also tried the O’Dough’s FLAX BUNS… & WOAH. FREAKING DELISH. They are also an AMAZING SOURCE OF FIBRE, FAT-FREE & CHOLESTEROL FREE. They are definitely richer in terms of calories & fat (BUT NOT BY THAT MUCH) than Udi’s, but it’s fun to change it up again sometimes!
PLUS… IF YOU ARE HAVING A BURGER, HAVE A FREAKING BURGER (YES, EVEN A QUINOA ONE!)… Basically, if you’re having a burger, LET YOURSELF ENJOY IT & INDULGE! KAY?
The base of these babies is made from JUST CHICKPEAS, GLUTEN-FREE ROLLED OATS & QUINOA! Of course, as you all know, MY RECIPES DO NOT HAVE SIMPLE FLAVOUR PROFILES. AND SO, of course, I THREW IN some white onion, garlic, nutritional yeast & ALL ‘DEM SPICES!
If you’re more of a “simple flava profile” person… BYE! No, just kidding, I love ya! But, seriously, if you’re into simpler stuff, you could totally swap some of the spices in & out. They’d be delish with an Indian-type vibe going on or even just plain curry powder! OR, you could add some chilli powder to make these babes MEXICANO-INSPIRED! Basically, what I’m ranting on & on about is that THE POSSIBILITIES ARE FREAKING ENDLESS. So have fun with them!!!
NUTRITION-WISE? THESE BABIES PACK A WHOLE… wait for it… keep waiting… be patient….
8 GRAMS OF PROTEIN PER PATTY & let’s be honest, YOU ARE NOT JUST HAVING ONE. LIKE COME ON! THEY WILL LEGIT HAVE YOU BEGGING FOR FREAKING SECONDS! So… basically, what that implies is if you devour two of these babes, you’re getting a whole 16 GRAMS OF PROTEIN, just from the burgers, not to mention whatever else you’re having with ‘em! Not bad, right?
OH & I love my PROTEIN, but I also ADORE MY FIBRE. And so… would you believe me if I told you that each one of these babes packs a whole 6 grams of fibre?! MULTIPLY THAT BY TWO ONCE AGAIN & BAM. 12 GRAMS OF FIBRE. JUST FROM YOUR BURGERS!!!!
BTW, convenience-wise, these babes will stay well in the fridge for a few days so they are A PERFECT MEAL PREP SOLUTION & the best part about them is their versatility!!!! You can do so much with them that you will not feel like you’re eating the same thing EVERY SINGLE DAY (which is like one of the biggest problems that I have with things that are meal prepped but that cannot be transformed into different beautiful dishes!). You can chop these babes up in a Buddha bowl or salad, or eat them the real way, in a freaking gorgeously toasted burger bun with all the toppings in the world or you can devour ‘em alone as patties & garnish them in all types of dips & sauces!!
AND EVEN BETTER? These babes are totally freezable!!!! (Kay, not sure if that’s not a word, but you know what I mean! You can freeze them!!!). This means you can totally double the batch & freeze half of it for when the craving hits & TRUST ME, ONCE YOU TASTE THESE FOR THE FIRST TIME, THE CRAVINGS WILL START COMING UNEXPECTEDLY! So be prepared. Double your batch & freeze these babies! You’ll thank me later, PROMISE!
AND NOW (FINALLY), without further ado, let me tell you how to make these babes ALL YOURS!!! Forever & ever. For better or for worse. Until death do you part.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 small white onion, CHOPPED;
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- 1 15-oz. can of chickpeas (I use Bioitalia Organic!), DRAINED & RINSED;
- 1-½ cups of cooked whole-grain quinoa (a.k.a. about ½ cup of dry quinoa!);
- ¼ cup of gluten-free rolled oats (I use Only Oats brand!)
- 2 tbsp. of nutritional yeast (If you don’t like the taste of nutritional yeast or simply prefer REAL CHEESE, feel free to sub her for 2 tbsp. of Parmesan or Romano cheese or ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella or cheddar!);
- 1 tbsp. of Italian seasoning;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1/2 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- ALL SIMPLY ORGANIC! DUH!
- 1/2 tsp. of sea salt;
- 2 tbsp. of water;
And how does ALL THAT BEAUTIFULNESS become these gorgeously-perfect-not-so-perfectly-round-though VEGAN QUINOA BURGERS? LET ME EXPLAIN!!!!!
- Cook your quinoa according to package directions!
- Preheat your oven to 375F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper! Set aside!
- Place the onions & garlic in a food processor & PULSE THE EFF OUT OF ‘EM until they are FINELY CHOPPED!
- Add your chickpeas & continue to pulse!!! Do not puree the mixture – YOU WANT IT TO BE A LITTLE CHUNKY, KAY?
- Add all the remaining ingredients (EXCEPT THE WATER) & process until a dough begins to form! Add the water while the food processor is running & the dough comes together! You want the mix to be sticky, NOT RUNNY OR DRY!
- Once your BABE OF A DOUGH COMES TOGETHER, place the bowl in the fridge & let it cool for about 15-20 minutes!
- Once chilled, separate the mix into equal-ISH-sized patties!
- PLACE THEM PATTIES ON YOUR BAKING SHEET & BAKE THE BABES FOR 20-22 MINUTES! (Took a whole 22 minutes for me to get them baked to perfection!) Flip ‘em halfway through & finish them off with a QUICK 2-4 MINUTE LOW BROIL to get ‘em NICE, CRISP & BROWNED! (I broiled mine for 3 minutes & it was perfect, but it totally depends on your oven!).
- P.S. I had a hard time flipping mine!!! FML. They were a bit too soft, so let me know how they turn out for you! I was able to flip most of them in the end, but left two unflipped & they still turned out perfectly, SO DO NOT PANIC IF YOU CANNOT FLIP ‘EM! BETTER THAN BREAKING THEM!!!
OH & FOOD PORN!!!
OH WAIT, I’m not done!!! OBVS. When am I ever? I have a freaking beauty of a bowl to share with you munchkins, yes, one that will allow you to devour NOT ONE, BUT TWO FREAKING BURGERS!!!!! Are you ready? Here we go! (P.S. She took me not even ten minutes!).
BASICALLY, IN A NUTSHELL, she is the definition of quick, simple, easy & delicious LUNCH BOWL GOALS!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 of my VEGAN QUINOA BURGERS, CHOPPED-AF;
- 85-100g of kale, broccoli or beet slaw!
- 100g of asparagus, CHOPPED-AF;
- 60g of broccoli florets, ENDS CUT;
- 80g of cherry tomatoes; CHOPPED;
- 2 tbsp. of fresh dill, CHOPPED;
THEN… I WHIPPED UP THE SIMPLEST BUT YUMMIEST LEMON, APPLE CIDER & HONEY DRESSING. Ahhhhh, this babe of a dressing turned this masterpiece INTO A WORK OF FREAKING ART… Wait, what’s more of a big deal? MASTERPIECES OR WORKS OF ART? Gah, not sure! But, all this to say, I AM AN ARTIST. A CHEF & AN ARTIST (OH & A LAWYER TOO!).
NOW, to whip up the dressing, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 1 tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice;
- 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar;
- 1 tsp. of organic yellow mustard;
- 1 tsp. of raw organic honey;
- Sprinkle some dried parsley flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & freshly ground black pepper! (I didn’t measure the quantities, but just play it by ear my loves! I BELIEVE IN YOUR ABILITIES!).
So basically, all you gotta do is combine all this beautifulness in a medium-sized bowl, WHISK UP THE DRESSING, drench the beautiful ingredients in said dressing, TOSS TO COMBINE & DEVOUR!