Hi my loves!
I hope you all had a beautiful SaturYAY & now, time to enjoy SUNDAY FUNDAY! AND, what better way to come home & unwind after a long day than to have the most perfect cookie recipe laid out for you & READY TO WHIP UP? (Let’s just pray you have all them ingredients!!).
So it’s Grand Prix weekend In Montreal & I’m chilling in my KITCH RN… & I just baked up a freaking DREAM COOKIE STORM. Well, rather, I whipped it up this morning, but yeah, you catch my drift! Call me boring, I don’t care. An awesome day for me is not spent in a day-club boozy-brunching & partying it up on like one of the most cliché summer weekends in Montreal… RATHER, IT’S SPENT IN THE KITCH, WITH MY MIXING BOWLS, SPATULAS & MEASURING CUPS & SPOONS IN HAND… Oh & a really messy high bun & a dirty-AF apron! YEP, that’s the definition of my perfect night & DO NOT JUDGE ME, KAY?
OKAY, let’s break down the sitch that went down in my kitch this morning… so I don’t know about you munchkins but THE JAMOCA ALMOND FUDGE ICE CREAM from BASKIN ROBBINS is MY ALL-TIME FAVE. & when I say FAVE, I REALLY FREAKING MEAN IT. Like… I’ve legit reached a low where I ordered THREE SCOOPS (I mean… I don’t know if I would really call it a low TBH, because it brought me on a FREAKING HIGH! LIKE… IT LEGIT TOOK ME TO ANOTHER PLACE!), but yeah, all this to say, I COULD DIE FOR THAT ICE CREAM. OVER & OVER AGAIN!
SOFT, BUT CRISPY, with a SUBTLE MOCHA FLAVOUR & STUDDED WITH TOASTED ALMONDS & CHOCOLATE CHIPS… these babes are LIFE. Basically, I’m calling all JAMOCA ALMOND FUDGE LOVERS <3 & all JAMOCA ALMOND FUDGE AMATEURS. Whether you’re a regular at Baskin Robbins & are freaking obsessed with this ice cream flavour (like I am, OBVS!) OR even if you’ve never tried her, THESE BABES ARE FOR YOU. They will take you to the most beautiful place on earth. I don’t know what it’s called. But it’s full of unicorns & pretty things & of course… THESE COOKIES!!!!!
Oh & they’re also VEGAN, HEALTHY-AF & WHOLE-WHEAT!!!! Basically, these munchkins will make me YOUR FAVOURITE PERSON EVER! And like, I really do not like to flatter myself, BUT these are an exception… THEY’RE JUST TOO FREAKING GOOD, MAN! I mean, I pretty much made a miracle go down. MAGICIAN STATUS ATTAINED!
Ladies & gents, these are my Vegan, Healthy-AF & Whole-Wheat Jamoca Soft & Crispy Almond Fudge Cookies a.k.a. That-Baskin-Robbins-Ice-Cream-You-Cannot-Stop-Scooping-In-Cookie-Form-But-Without-The-Guilt-Oh-&-I’m-a-Magician!
OKAY, so before we get to the nitty-gritty, y’all know I love to rant & YOU ALSO KNOW THAT I LOVE TO DO LOADS & LOADS OF RESEARCH ABOUT HEALTH & NUTRITION, so without further ado, it’s THAT TIME. Yes, YOU READ RIGHT. TIME FOR NUTRITION-101 WITH KELLY IN THE KITCH! And today, we discuss none other than…
Of course, you all know that almonds are effing good for you. I mean, it’s just like a known fact at this point. BUT, why is almond butter SO GOOD FOR YOU? Why should you choose it OVER PEANUT BUTTER (Sometimes… at least!)… LET ME EXPLAIN!
First & foremost, ALMOND BUTER IS GOOD FOR THE HEART! Why, you ask? It is SUPER-DUPER rich in monounsaturated fats, which, as discussed, are the type of fats that reduce levels of cholesterol & decrease the risk of heart ailments.
ALMOND BUTTER ALSO LOWERS BLOOD PRESSURE, once again, because it has the ability to decrease cholesterol levels. In fact, when cholesterol accumulates in the blood vessels, it makes it extremely hard for the blood to flow more freely to different organs. AND, in turn, when this happens, the heart will pump more strongly, which can result in high blood pressure. BUT, GET THIS! Lowering the cholesterol will also lower blood pressure.
AND, ASIDE FROM ALL THIS GOOD STUFF, almond butter is also FULL-AF of minerals that are effective in reducing blood pressure, such as calcium, potassium & magnesium, which all work hand in hand to decrease the pressure & resistance in the blood vessels to maintain the proper level of blood pressure!
ALMOND BUTTER HELPS CONTROL BLOOD SUGAR! So it’s sweet & tasty, BUT WON’T DO ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR BLOOD SUGAR… sounds too good to be true, right? IT’S NOT! In fact, not only will it not do any damage to your blood sugar, BUT IT CAN EVEN HELP CONTROL YOUR BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS by reducing the sudden increase in blood sugar & insulin, which usually happens after you eat a carb-packed meal!
BY NOW, YOU MUNCHKINS ALL KNOW I’M OBSESSSSSSED WITH ANTIOXIDANTS. Like, legit, obsessed, right? Anything packed & loaded with antioxidants, PLEASE HAND IT OVER. All this to say, ALMOND BUTTER IS RICH-AF IN ANTIOXIDANTS. Oxidative stress is a HUGE & very (all too) common problem in our society. In fact, free radicals that damage our cells are legit ALL OVA DA PLACE, which is why it is super important to have a proper intake of antioxidants, such as vitamin E & flavonoids, BOTH OF WHICH ARE FOUND IN ALMOND BUTTER! Ergo, almond butter helps protect cells from oxidative stress & reduces the risk of heart disease & other ailments associated with it.
AND LASTLY, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, YES, ALMONDS CONTAIN FAT. But, ALMOND BUTTER CAN ACTUALLY HELP WITH WEIGHT CONTROL! I SWEAR. There is actually a common misconception about nuts & weight gain. Since they are high in calories, many people on a weight loss program tend to avoid DEVOURING THEM. BUT, you munchkins need to be aware that almonds are not only high in calories, BUT ALSO IN PROTEIN, FIBER & MONOUNSATURATED FATS, all of which can help keep you energized, fuller longer, ease the digestive process & contribute to overall health!
OHHHHH WAIT. SHE’S ALSO DELISH. But you knew that! Right?
OKAY, rant over!!!!!! Now, let’s get to the nitty-gritty.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour;
- ½ tsp. of baking soda;
- ½ tsp. of table salt;
- 1 tbsp. ground flax & 2 tbsp. of water;
- ¼ cup of virgin organic coconut oil;
- 3 tbsp. of raw organic creamy almond butter (If you munchkins prefer peanut butter, GO FOR IT, but, I JUST TOLD YOU MUNCHKINS ALL ABOUT THE BENEFITS OF ALMOND BUTTER & well, let’s be honest, you won’t choose the peanut butter. NOT THIS TIME AT LEAST!);
- ½ cup of organic brown sugar;
- ½ tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- 1 ½ tsp. of instant coffee (I used vanilla flavour, but feel free to change it up for some hazelnut or some regular coffee! JUST GIVE YOUR BOD WHAT IT WANTS, LOVIES! It’s the answer to everything. Trust me!);
- 3 tbsp. of toasted sliced raw almonds;
- 3 tbsp. mini vegan chocolate chips!
NOW, HOW-TO WHIP THESE BABES UP?
Wait until you see how easy it is!
YOU ARE GOING TO FLIP YOUR STUFF!
- In a MEDIUM bowl, mix together the whole wheat flour, baking soda & salt;
- In a SMALL bowl, mix the flax & water and set aside;
- In ANOTHER LARGE bowl (I’m sorry my loves, I know, there are a lot of bowls involved in creating these babes & ergo, LOTS OF DISHES. But, I promise you, IT’S WORTH IT!), add the coconut oil, almond butter, brown sugar & vanilla. Mix the eff out of these beautiful ingredients until combined!
- Add the coffee to the bowl containing the flax & stir until dissolved. THEN, pour the contents of the flax bowl into the bowl of wet ingredients & MIX AGAIN UNTIL COMBINED!
- Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients & mix until FULLY COMBINED!
- ONCE YOUR BATTER IS READY, a.k.a. all your ingredients are fully combined & form the most beautiful crumbly batter you ever did see, THROW IN THE ALMONDS & VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIPS!
- Preheat the oven to 375F & place the bowl in the fridge to chill while it preheats for about 10 to 15 minutes!
- Once your oven is preheated, remove the batter from the fridge & roll the dough into PING-PONG SIZED BALLS (This should make about 10-12 cookies DEPENDING on how big you think a ping pong ball is, LAWLZ!);
- Place the babes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper!
- BAKE THESE BABIES ON THE MIDDLE RACK FOR 12 MINUTES then remove them & let ‘em cool! AND BY REMOVE THEM & LET THEM COOL, I totally mean devour the eff out of them as soon as they are FRESH OUT ‘DA OVEN. Sorry if I wasn’t clear, BUT NOW YOU KNOW THAT YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION!
- DEVOUR. DEVOUR. DEVOUR LIKE ‘DA COOKIE MONSTER!
OH & FOOD PORN!!!
Enjoy my loves!!! <3 xoxo