Kelly’s Clean-Eating Refined Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free & Vegan Vanilla Cinnamon Mixed Berry Jam a.k.a. It-Don’t-Get-Better-Than-This-Oh-&-Wait-Why-Do-I-Already-See-The-Bottom-Of-My-Jar-OOPSIE!
I hope you are all having a beautiful day! 🙂
I’m here to brighten your Thursday with some GORGEOUS MIXED BERRY JAM. BUT NO, not just any mixed berry jam… I’m talkin’ CLEAN-EATING & GUILT-FREE VANILLA CINNAMON GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN MIXED BERRY JAM, WITH NO REFINED SUGARS & NO PRESERVATIVES! Sounds GREAT to me, you?
In a nutshell, this recipe is:
& MOST IMPORTANTLY: 298310931908% better for you than the sugar-filled, packed with preservatives & processed store-bought stuff.
OH! What’s ALSO pretty wonderful about her is that you can legit use any berry you like! Mix blueberries, cherries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries or come up with your own combination! (I GENERALLY use all a mix of leftover berries that are about to go bad… ya know, GIVEN MY “NO-WASTE” POLICY, but really, the choice is yours munchkins!).
P.S. On a side note, if you decide to use frozen berries, please let them thaw before attacking this babe of a recipe!!!
HONESTLY, this babe is SO DELISH you’ll be tempted to eat it straight from the jar… but if the temptation doesn’t KILL YOU, she’s also great as:
a spread on sprouted toast, pancakes, French toast or crackers!
as a topping for OATS OR GREEK YOGURT PARFAITS!
or… make a delish (CLEAN-AF) PB&J SANDWICH!!! (I don’t know about you munchkins. I don’t care how old I am & how childish this makes me seem, BUT I AM ALWAYS DOWN FOR A PB&J SANDWICH!).
ALL THIS TO SAY, the possibilities are ABSOLUTELY-POSITIVELY ENDLESS.
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s Clean-Eating Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free & Vegan Vanilla Cinnamon Mixed Berry a.k.a. It-Don’t-Get-Better-Than-This-Oh-&-Wait-Why-Do-I-Already-See-The-Bottom-Of-My-Jar-OOPSIE!
One last thing!!! On a totally unrelated note to this jam. Well, sorta. Throughout my recovery thus far, I have learned that MAINTAINING A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A CHALLENGE (HECK, I already have enough with one challenge, that is battling anorexia!).
You can totally live a normal, fun & beautiful life, all while being committed-AF to your maintaining a healthy body & more importantly, a healthy mind!
You just have to let yourself be creative, make time for it, set goals, be dedicated to said goals & push yourself to keep going when it feels like things are about to go out of whack,
BUT more importantly, you must also develop the ability to LET YOURSELF GO. To have fun. To have “off” meals or (EVEN) days (sometimes) & to live an overall normal life!
This, my loves, is the definition of FINDING THAT HEALTHY BALANCE! AND I’M GLAD TO SAY THAT I HAVE.
Oh & how on earth does this relate to the jam? BASICALLY, IT DOESN’T REALLY but, this jam is an example of how:
1) A little creativity goes a long way!
2) You can ALWAYS, & I mean ALWAYS, achieve the same deliciousness (& EVEN MORE DELICIOUSNESS) as store-bought or restaurant food, BUT with clean, healthy & good-for-you ingredients – you just need to be willing to try new things (even if at first, they seem a bit weird!) & put in the time & effort! Once you’ve got that down-packed, the rest is history (& ALSO REALLY YUMMY).
3) MUCH FUN YOU WILL HAVE DEVOURING HER. BYE!
As you munchkins know (if you have me on Instagram and/or Snapchat), I make fresh batches of HOMEMADE JAM ALL THE FREAKING TIME, mostly because I love it, BUT ALSO BECAUSE I RUN OUT OF IT SO QUICKLY. You’ll understand why as soon as you whip her up (& I don’t even eat her for breakfast, lunch & dins… BUT I DO LATHER LIKE HUGE FREAKING AMOUNTS ALL OVER MY SPROUTED BREAD IN THE MORNING… Hmmm, that might explain it… Portion control problems, anyone? Yep. Yep.).
OKAY, ENOUGH RANTING. LET ME TELL YOU HOW TO WHIP HER UP!!!!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 3-4 pints of ANY & ALL berries (blueberries, raspberries or blackberries!) sitting your fridge ABOUT to go bad (or 3 pints of berries & 1 cup of chopped-AF strawberries);
- 3 tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice;
- 2 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup or raw organic honey or agave;
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- ½ – ¾ tsp. of cinnamon (This totally depends on how much of a “cinnamon person” you are!).
NOW, for that… *drumroll please!* HOW-TO?
- Add your berries, lemon juice & maple syrup to a small saucepan & bring to a boil, stirring occasionally (Basically, this is to make sure that your berries do not stick to the bottom of the saucepan as they boil away! If they stick, you’ll be left with less jam, LET ALONE, WITH BURNT JAM. Not down, you?).
- Once boiled, reduce the heat to medium-low & add in your vanilla extract & cinnamon! Stir this beautifulness into your mixed berry wonderfulness & make sure that all your babies are evenly coated in this vanilla-cinnamon-y goodness! Let the babes simmer for approximately 20-25 minutes, stirring every now & then to ensure that the jam is not sticking (yes, again!) to the sides or bottom of the saucepan. Basically, YOU MUST WATCH YOUR JAM!!!!!!
- When stirring, use your spatula or wooden spoon to kind of smoosh & mash the berries, BUT KEEP IT CHUNKY, a.k.a. don’t create “mashed berry potatoes”, okay? (Uhhhh, unless that’s how you like your jam, but I mean…
CHUNKY JAM > MUSHY JAM, BYE!
Promise, I ain’t judging you. Love you too much!).
- When the timer beeps 20-25 (depending how long you set her for!), check on your jam, YES AGAIN! If she is sticky, thick & rich, but still chunky, remove her from the heat & let her sit in the saucepan for an additional 15-20 minutes!
- If desired texture/consistency is not yet obtained, leave her on the heat for another 5-10 minutes, BUT WATCH HER. This is the crucial point at which your jam is at MAJOR BURN RISK. So, babies, PLEASE, CARE FOR YOUR JAM. You’re almost there!
- P.S. At the 20-minute mark, taste your jam too! If you find she isn’t sweet enough, you can add in ½ tsp. of vanilla extract or another ½ to 1 tbsp. of maple syrup! If you do, make sure to stir your jam & leave her on the heat for at least an additional 5 minutes!).
- Once cooled, store your jam in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week! (MUNCHKINS, don’t get mad. Did you forget that ther are zero preservatives in her? PLUS, why you frontin’? She’ll never last more than a week anyway!!!! TRUST ME!).
- ENJOY & DEVOUR BABIES!!!
OH & FOOD PORN!!!!