You know what that means? We’re a day away from FRIYAY & FRIYAY means WEEKEND! GET EXCITED! Since you still have to wait like two days till the weekend, I figured I’d give you a little something else to get excited about this morning (Well now… it’s the afternoon. BAKED THESE THIS MORNING THOUGH… productive mornings FTW)… y’all ready?
SO WHAT WAS THE SITCH IN MY KITCH AT 6:30AM this morning, to be precise?
FLAX-BAKED EGGPLANT CHIPS!!!!!
MY LOVES, THIS IS EPIC. Simple. But epic! Epic! Epic! Oh… & you only need 7 ingredients. Oui, c’est tout! I’m talkin’:
A MEDIUM EGGPLANT (obvs!!)
Organic extra-virgin olive oil
GROUND FLAX FOR DAYS (+ water… but water doesn’t count, okay?)
DRIED BASIL FOREVER & EVER & EVER
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper!
P.S. HOW MUCH OF A SICK IDEA IS IT TO REPLACE BREAD CRUMBS WITH FLAX? I mean… please, let’s just acknowledge that for a sec. Moment of silence? Yeah. I totally think it deserves one. What do you say?
I legit could NOT wait to share these babies with you! In fact, I thought to myself (with half a head… I mean, do you blame me, it was like 6:00AM), all these babies are missing is some clean-eating TZATZIKI… & BOOM! But wait, then I remembered, that tzatziki is totally not missing. I’VE WHIPPED ‘ER UP BEFORE. THE RECIPE’S BEEN ON THE BLOG FOR MONTHS… & well, quite frankly, now that you know (as if you didn’t already), I don’t really know what you are waiting for.
And the good part? While the babes are baking-AF, you have just the right amount of time to whip up the tzatziki.
Before we get into the nitty-gritty, ONE THING. Okay?
First off, I JUST WANT TO TELL YOU MUNCHKINS WHY THESE BABIES ARE SO AMAZING!
CRUNCHY, CRISPY & DELISH!
BASICALLY, THEY ARE CHIPS. Need I say more?
Oh & GARLIC, FTW!
They make for the PERFECT SNACK or SIDE DISH with a lean protein! (PREFERABLY DIPPED IN TZATZIKI, but my clean-eating one, OBVS!)
NOT TO MENTION, FLAX. FLAX. FLAX. & SOME ‘MO FLAX. (I’ve already discussed the benefits of flax with you babies in a previous post, BUT IN A NUTSHELL (Can you tell I like nutshells?), flax is basically one of the most powerful plant foods on the planet! Studies have shown that it can actually reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke & diabetes. Wow… that’s quite something for SUCH A TINY SEED, right?
Although I can go on & on FOR DAYS (I mean, when can I not?) about the benefits of these yummy seeds, the three main ones, IMO, are:
OMEGA-3 ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS: Basically, the “good fats”, which I’ve already discussed with you munchkins as well. These fats have been shown to have heart-healthy effects & each tbsp. of ground flaxseed has about 1.8g of plant omega-3s! Not bad, right?
LIGNANS: OKAY, I also had no idea what these were until I did my research (Research, people, research. YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO). BASICALLY, lignans contain both plant estrogen & antioxidant qualities & flaxseed contains 75 to 800 times more lignans than any other plant foods.
AND LASTLY, FLAX = FIBRE & FIBRE = LOVE. <3 & WANNA KNOW SOMETHING ELSE? Flax actually contains BOTH types of fibre, I’m talkin’ soluble & insoluble. So… TWO BIRDS. ONE STONE. Winning!
OKAY, I told you just one thing… okay wait, maybe it was a few. BUT MY MAIN GOAL WAS TO SHOW YOU WHY THESE BABIES WERE AMAZING & now that I have you DEFINITELY-MOST-CERTAINLY-POSITIVELY convinced, let’s get to the nitty-gritty!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 eggplant, SLICED THINLY & HALVED;
- ½ cup of organic ground flaxseed;
- ¾ cup of water;
- 1 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 1 tsp. of dried basil;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- ¼ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt!
NOW… FOR THAT HOW-TO… Here we go, my loves!!
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a LARGE baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the flaxseed, water, olive oil, basil, garlic powder, salt & peppa to a MEDIUM METAL MIXING BOWL & stir this beautifulness together until a batter-like consistency is obtained! (She is basically a batter, when you think about it… a.k.a. YOU WILL SOON BE DIPPING YOUR EGGPLANT SLICES IN THIS BABY. ADMIT YOU’RE FREAKING EXCITED. ZOMFG. I’M EXCITED FOR YOU! P.S. TOTZ MUNCHING on these babies as we speak. Jelly? This could be you…
- Once the batter is READY-AF, dip each eggplant slice (Individually, YES!) into the batter & make sure to coat both sides rather evenly (Do the best you can, my loves, but, the most important thing is that your babies are coated on both sides & not only one, because yes, YOU WILL BE FLIPPIN’ ‘EM HALFWAY THROUGH THE BAKING PROCESS!). Place each slide on the baking sheet separately & DO NOT LAYER THEM. OKAY? (This is why I told you babies to use a large baking sheet. LISTEN TO ME, OKAY? I only look out for your best interest, duh!).
- Once your eggplant slices are BEAUTIFULLY-PLACED ON YOUR BAKING SHEET, (I mean… the sight of them. WOAH!), place the babes in the oven & bake ‘em for 20 minutes.
- WHEN THE TIMER BEEPS 20, flip the babes!!!! Bake them for another 20-25 minutes. Once baked, they should legit resemble CHIPS. Like they should be crispy-AF & fully cooked through on both sides. If the eggplant is still soft AT ALL, it means the babes need more baking time! Bake them in additional 5-minute increments & check on ‘em after each time – EVENTUALLY, THEY WILL GET THERE, I PROMISE BABIES! For me, baking them for 20, then for 25 was PERFECT, but it really depends on your oven!
- NOW… DEVOUR. Oh & TZATZIKI ANYONE? (RECIPE HERE!).
OH & FOOOOOD PORN!
ENJOY MY LOVES! <3