Rise & shine!
Happy WEDNESDAY, a.k.a. HAPPY MID-WEEK! You did it again, munchkins! You made it through half the week & you’re still alive & well.
MAZALZ (OR CONGRATZ!).
AS YOU ALL KNOW, I have a “No-Waste” Policy. Said policy is ALWAYS IN EFFECT & MUST ALWAYS BE ENFORCED. What does said policy entail, you ask?
It means that whenever I have a lil’ extra fruit, veggie or ANY PERISHABLE FOOD that is on the verge of going bad because it sat looking pretty for too long in my fridge, I PUT MY BRAIN UP TO THE CHALLENGE & CONCOCT A FUN, SIMPLE, EASY & (MOST OF THE TIME) RECIPE TO USE IT!
This, my loves, is one of those times. You know when you go to the grocery store & the cherry tomato pints are on sale 3 for $5? It’s like… HOW DO YOU EVEN RESIST THAT DEAL, RIGHT? But then, you end up leaving two of them at the back of the fridge, while you’re using up the first one & WELL, A PERSON CAN ONLY EAT SO MANY CHERRY TOMATOES. And low & behold, before you know it, YOU DO THAT FRIDGE CLEAN-UP… & THEY’RE GETTING ALL WRINKLY. They getting old. Does anyone else think that cherry tomatoes grow up too fast? I MEAN, COME ON, GIVE ME A CHANCE TO EAT YOU!
ANYWHO MUNCHKINS, ALL THIS TO SAY, I DON’T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I LOVE CHERRY TOMATOES (HEY, this is most probably the reason I always fall for that 3 for $5 deal). They work great for snacking, in salads & in pasta dishes, BUT WHAT ABOUT TOMATO SAUCE? I know, cherry tomatoes aren’t usually the first choice to use for homemade tomato sauce, BUT:
- “NO-WASTE” POLICY. BYE!
- I’m about to change that. We all know how much I LOVE MAKING THINGS THAT AREN’T THINGS “THINGS”. So hey, why not do that with cherry tomatoes? I’m down with it. You?
MY LOVES, THE KEY TO THIS RECIPE IS OVEN ROASTING THE BABES. Oh yeah… that roast though.
WHO ELSE IS LIKE, IN LOVE, OBSESSED WITH, ADORES, THAT OVEN-ROASTED TASTE? It’s like the best of both worlds – you get the BBQ flava without having to stand in front of a BBQ (IN THIS HORRIBLE MONTREAL WEATHER) as your eyelashes BURN THE EFF OFF, one by one. Please tell me you feel me. At least you LADIES!
And well, once roasted, we throw ‘em into a food processor with some dried basil, garlic powder, EVOO, A SECRET INGREDIENT (which we will discuss very shortly) & some salt & peppa!!!! Are you slightly teased by this ingredients list? I know you’re DYING to know what that secret ingredient is. ANY WILD GUESSES? Some of you might actually call me weird or crazy for throwing it in, but then, once you listen to me & do the same, YOU WILL NOT GO BACK & YOU WILL REGRET THE DAY YOU CALLED ME (OR THOUGHT I WAS) CRAY!
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s Healthy-AF Oven-Roasted Chunky & Creamy Cherry Tomato Sauce a.k.a. Once-You-Go-Homemade-Marinara-You’ll-Never-Go-Back!
What’s awesome about this recipe is that it does not require you to (STAND OVER THE BBQ) OR TO SIMMER OVER THE STOVE FOR TWO HOURS (LIKE MOST MARINARA SAUCES WOULD). In fact, she actually gives you PERMISSION to be absolutely-positively LAZY-AF. The only effort you must put in is lifting the baking sheet to put it in ‘da oven & then putting all the ingredients into the bowl of your food processor & PRESSING PULSE to get this baby going. I do not think I am asking much of you, now, am I?
Aside from the fact that the babe gives you permission to be lazy-AF, WHAT ELSE MAKES HER SO AWESOME?
SHE CONTAINS HARDLY ANY SODIUM. I mean, you cannot even compare her to that store-bought stuff, which is full of preservatives, sodium & all them other ingredients that you cannot even SAY or PRONOUNCE, LET ALONE SPELL OR UNDERSTAND (BTW, when I say “hardly any sodium“, I mean… only 15mg per 1 CUP SERVING!!!! That’s insane. Honestly, compare this to some of your store-bought stuff & it’ll be in the garbage STAT!.
SHE’S LOADED-JAM-PACKED WITH VITAMINS A & C.
SHE’S MAGICALLY FREAKING DELICIOUS.
Versatility is an understatement when it comes to her!!! Use this baby in pasta, lasagne, and stuffed shells, OR AS PIZZA SAUCE! She’ll do the trick for just about ANY of these alternatives… I MEAN, WHO DOESN’T DIE OVER A CREAMY-AF HOMEMADE MARINARA? Yeah… that’s what I thought.
Oh & MARINARA SAUCE. ‘NUFF SAID. Bye!
OHHHHH & you can totally make a HUGE batch of this sauce & FREEZE IT! Basically, I’m giving you a ticket to always having the best ever marinara sauce stocked in your freezer for those nights when that pasta and/or pizza (I’M D FOR BOTH, YOU?) craving hits & you are LAZY-AF… JUST OPEN YOUR FREEZER. TAKE OUT THE SAUCE. BOIL YOUR NOODLES. THROW IN SOME VEGGIES & DONE. Easy peasy, right? EASY AS 1-2-3!
Kay, by now, YOU SHOULD BE CONVINCED. YOU MUST BE CONVINCED. COME ON. COME ON. JUST SAY SO. I know so. So why deny it? You know you’re about to whip ‘er up!!!! And so, in the spirit of you whipping her up, it’s time to get to that nitty gritty.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 400g of cherry tomatoes (approximately 1 ½ – 2 pintsu6m
- ½ tsp. of onion powder;
- 2 tbsp. of dried basil (or 1/3 cup of fresh basil);
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 2 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 1 tsp. of granulated sugar a.k.a. THE SECRET MYSTERY INGREDIENT!!!!! I know my loves, for any marinara, adding a bit of sugar to the sauce may seem WEIRD-AF. But truth be told, sometimes the sauce just NEEDS a bit of sugar! A delish sauce defs. relies on a tomato’s INHERENT sweetness, which is released when the babe is cooked down & concentrated. BUT, SOMETIMES THE TOMATOES JUST AREN’T SWEET ENOUGH. Basically, you’re adding the sugar to counterbalance the acidity of the tomatoes. You can totally add it just like you would add salt: a bit at a time (start with ½ tsp. and then taste & adjust until you obtain the flavour you want – AND PLEASE, DO SO WITHOUT ANY GUILT. Guys, it’s nothing, it’s a freaking teaspoon.
- A pinch of cayenne!
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste!
NOW, I did tell you munchkins this was going to be easy. And you trusted me if you got this far (Thank you, thank you very much!). For that, I LOVE YOU MUNCHKINS. And for that, I WILL NOW TELL YOU HOW TO MAKE THIS BABE, WITHOUT GOING ON A “PRE-REVEAL-HOW-TO-MAKE-HER” RANT. Here we go!!!
- Preheat your oven to 425F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread your cherry tomatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the babes with your onion powder!
- BAKE THE BABES FOR 35 MINUTES. Once baked, the tomatoes should be wrinkly-AF. If they ain’t, put ‘em back in for another 5-10 minutes. WATCH YOUR BABIES. YOU DON’T WANT THEM TO BURN (P.S. How hilarious is it that I’m calling them babies when the goal is to get them wrinkly? AREN’T THEY LIKE GRANNIES INSTEAD OF BABIES AT THIS POINT?)
- Once baked, let them cool for a few minutes & then… TAKE OUT ‘DAT TRUSTY FOOD PROCESSOR.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, garlic powder, olive oil, sugar, salt & peppa to the bowl of your food processor & PULSE THE EFF OUT OF THIS BEAUTIFULNESS UNTIL SMOOTH & CREAMY!!!!
- C’est tout. That’s it. IT’S READY. Now, it’s up to you. What will you lather her on? What will you smother her on? Will you just spoon her & devour her? THE CHOICE IS REALLY YOURS BABES. I’VE DONE MY JOB. I’ve given you the opportunity to create & DEVOUR something absolutely-positively-beautiful-that-will-have-you-head-over-heels-in-love-with-TOMATOES! NOT BAD. NOT BAD. I mean, at least tomatoes will NEVER LET YOU DOWN, right? Yep. Yep.
All this to say, ONCE YOU GO HOMEMADE MARINARA, YOU’LL NEVER GO BACK!
OKAY, ENJOY BABIES!!!!!
OH & FOOD PORN: