Hi again my loves!
<3 <3 <3
(Third post of the day, not bad, right?)
I teased you with her on Insta, but now I’m back with ‘DA REAL DEAL, ‘DA FULL REVEAL. YOU READY FOR ‘DIS? Whipped her up in like 20 & WOAH, JUST WOAH!
In a nutshell, this is my sweet corn, fava bean, avocado & feta salad tossed in a homemade (DUH!) creamy-AF balsamic vinaigrette! I promise, she’s still PRETTY CLEAN-ISH, but yes, there is a bit of mayo in her… I had to, SORRY NOT SORRY. It’s Vegan mayo though… if that helps!). OH RIGHT, and I just might have thrown in some juicy cherry tomatoes, chopped radish, dill for days & diced red onion!
How gorg is she? Not only is she THIS GORG (Uh, wait till you see her in person, btw. The pics totz. do not do her justice), but she is also DELICIOUSLY-DELICIOUS, SATISFYING, CREAMY WITH JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF CRUNCH TO BALANCE THAT CREAMINESS & Best part of all?
She’ll provide you with LOADS UPON LOADS of PROTEIN, FIBRE & GOOD-FOR-YOU FATS. Ergo, I’m ready to guarantee that she will keep you full all afternoon long (BUT, I must confess that she will also have you going back to the fridge for seconds. Are you even mad bro?).
I mean… do you blame me for having like seconds & maybe even, a few bites of thirds? Like… just imagine one yummy bite after another, a nutty-flavoured bean, some naturally sweet corn, a cubed onion or two, A CUBE OR TWO OR THREE OR FOUR OF CHEESY FETA, a juicy tomato here & there, BITES UPON BITES OF AVOCADO, a crunchy radish, some chopppppped dill, OH & ALL OF THIS… LATHERED, SMOTHERED & DRENCHED in a creamy homemade balsamic… I’M GOING BACK FOR FOURTHS, YOU?
LADIES & GENTS, I present you with my Gluten-Free Sweet Corn, Fava Bean, Avocado & Feta Salad Tossed in a Homemade Creamy-AF Balsamic Vinaigrette a.k.a. Protein-Fibre-&-Good-For-You-Fats-Packed-Rainbow-Bowl-With-Just-The-Right-Amount-of-Creaminess-&-Crunch!
Anywho lovies, I took a break from the packing to whip this babe up (LIKE I SAID, A GIRL IN RECOVERY’S GOTTA EAT) & well, it’s the BEST BREAK I EVER TOOK. Not only did I devour this baby for lunch, but also, I made enough to have leftovers (because she’s totalllllllly one of those salads that is BETTER the next day!), so YEP, I KILLED TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE & WELL, THE RESULT IS THIS. THE RESULT IS PERFECTION. And now, this perfection is about to be YOURS.
BUT, before she can be yours, it’s time to rant & rave about none other than the BENEFITS & NUTRITIONAL PUNCH OF… FAVA BEANS!!! YEP, it’s that time. NUTRITION-101 WITH KELLY IN DA KITCH.
Let’s start with the stuff they DON’T CONTAIN. The babies have no saturated fat or cholesterol! Yep, ADMIT YOU JUST DID A DOUBLE TAKE. NO SATURATED FAT. NO CHOLESTEROL.
They contain a VERY HIGH concentration of thiamine, vitamin K, B-6, potassium, copper, selenium, zinc & magnesium!
THEY CONTAIN TONS OF LEAN PROTEIN (#GOALS?)
AND, as for ‘dem nutrients: They can significantly increase your intake of:
FOLATE, vital for energy metabolism, supports the function of the nervous system & aids in the synthesis of DNA & red blood cells. In fact, people who eat folate-rich foods may have a decreased risk of heart disease, cancer & depression!
IRON, necessary for the bod to produce red blood cells & not only that, but FAVA BEANS PROVIDE TONS OF ENERGY due to the iron they contain! In fact, iron is required to produce haemoglobin, which carries oxygen throughout the bod and to our cells. In other words, if you are low in iron, this will be a challenge & can leave you feeling worn out, tired & sluggggish… and can even lead to ANEMIA. BUT, THERE’S A SOLUTION. EAT FAVA BEANS!!!! They’ll eliminate fatigue & any anemic symptoms!
MANGANESE, which supports the function of the nervous, immune & endocrine systems & is required for the production of enzymes, which are also powerful antioxidants! A diet high in this nutrient can also help prevent arthritis, osteoporosis, diabetes & … the severity of PMS. Not bad, right?
& DIETARY FIBRE! (My all-time FAVE). Like all beans, fava beans contain both soluble & insoluble fibre, BUT ARE ESPECIALLY RICH IN INSOLUBLE FIBRE. Eating loads of insoluble fibre promotes digestive system health (As I’ve so often RAVED ABOUT TO YOU MUNCHKINS). And I mean… WE’RE ALL OBSESSED WITH DIGESTIVE SYSTEM HEALTH, RIGHT? Who isn’t? Like, I know, it’s TMI, but come on! OH, & the soluble fibre can help reduce blood cholesterol levels!
And well, if these benefits aren’t enough to convince you, HAVE YOU EVER TRIED THEM? THEY ARE SO DELICIOUS!!!!! They’re super-duper tender & have a wonderful “beany” flavour that legit MELTS LIKE BUTTER IN YOUR MOUTH!!!! I’ll take it, you?
OKAY, I’m done. I think I’ve just proven to you that fava beans are legit & that you have like EVERY REASON to throw them into not only this salad, BUT A CASSEROLE, A BUDDHA BOWL & EVEN TACOS! You can also just whip up a simple fava bean salad with some cilantro, diced onion & lemon juice! BUT, THAT’S NOT THE SALAD WE ARE HERE TO DISCUSS, KAY? Right now, we are here to discuss the wonderfulness I whipped up for lunch today & well… I’M ACTUALLY READY TO DO SO STAT. ARE YOU IMPRESSED? Yes. Yes. I know you are. Okay, LET’S GO!!!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
FOR THE GORG-AF SALAD:
- 1 can of organic (low-sodium) sweet corn, DRAINED & RINSED;
- 1 can of organic fava beans (low sodium), DRAINED & RINSED;
- 1 medium avocado, CUBED;
- 1 small red onion, DICED;
- 8-10 whole radishes, CHOPPED;
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, HALVED & DICED;
- ¼ cup of fresh dill, CHOPPED;
- 150g of organic feta cheese, CUBED! (THAT FETA THOUGH!!!).
FOR THE CREAMY BALSAMIC DRESSING:
- 4 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 4 tbsp. of organic balsamic vinegar;
- 3-½ tbsp. of Vegan mayonnaise (or regular mayo!);
- 2 tbsp. of water;
- 2 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 1 tsp. of dried parsley flakes;
- 1 tsp. of organic Dijon mustard (or yellow mustard, if you prefer!);
- 1 tsp. of organic brown sugar;
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste!
NOW, HOW TO WHIP THIS BABY UP? LIKE I SAID, IT’S LUCKY MONDAY. & You know what that means? It means not only is this babe everything you’ve ever wanted in a lunch, BUT SHE’S ALSO LIKE THE EASIEST & SIMPLEST THING EVER.
- Add all your veggies, beans & feta to a LARGE metal mixing bowl!
- In a separate bowl, combine all your dressing ingredients & MIX THE EFF OUT OF ‘EM UNTIL A SMOOTH & CREAMY CONSISTENCY IS OBTAINED!
- If you find it’s NOT creamy enough, add in a little more mayo & Dijon OR;
- If you find it’s TOO CREAMY (BUT, I mean… is anything ever too creamy?), add in some more balsamic or water, or a bit of both!
- NOW, THE MOMENT THIS BABY COMES TOGETHER. Pour the creamy balsamic all over ‘da veggies, beans & feta mix & MIX THE EFF OUT OF THIS BEAUTIFUL VEGGIE MIX until all your veggies are EVENLY COATED in this beautifulness (I mean, let’s be honest, it wouldn’t be fair to deprive any of these babies of this beautiful dressing… you feel me?).
- That’s it, babes! You’re done! Your lunch is ready. Your life is in order. YOUR LIFE IS PERFECT. Now, DEVOUR THE BABE!!!!
OH & FOOD PORN!!!