Curried-AF Clean-Eating Ground Turkey Sautéed with Onions, Garlic, Braised Cherry Tomatoes, Red Bell Peppers & Cilantro for Days a.k.a. The-Bollywood-Babe-That-You-Can’t-Stop-Dreaming-About-Oh-&-One-Skillet-Meals-FTW!
Rise & shine! Back this morning with last night’s DINNER GOALS!
I’m talking INDIAN FLAVOURS GALORE. Basically, this is what happens when KELLY IS CRAVING INDIAN FOOD (Not to mention, I’m bringing INDIA TO YOUR KITCHENS & by India, I mean the MOST BEAUTIFUL SMELL THAT YOU EVER DID INHALE! Wait for it. Woah! Honestly, the smell will have you on Expedia booking your one way ticket to India, a.k.a. never coming home, bye!).
In a nutshell, I’m talkin’:
ONE-SKILLET curried ground turkey (DUH!!!)
Sautéed with sweet white onions & minced garlic!
TOSSED WITH INDIAN SEASONINGS FOR DAYS!
NONE OTHER than my BEST EVER butternut squash
Braised cherry tomatoes,
Browned red bell peppers &…
OF COURSE, LOADS OF CILANTRO.
OKAY, so in case you munchkins haven’t noticed, ground turkey IS (& ALWAYS WILL BE) MY FAVORITE MEAT TO WORK WITH.
Takes to spices super-duper well &
It’s freaking DELISH!!!!
But, LOVIES, DO NOT DESPAIR. If you’re more of a chicken, beef or lamb person, you can totz substitute the ground turkey for one of the three! (See how I always find you munchkins a substitute or a solution?! I love you too much to have you closing the tab simply because you aren’t a fan of ground turkey!). Love me back? PLEASE SAY YES!
While brainstorming ideas for something that would USE (& ABUSE) THE EFF OUTTA’ GROUND TURKEY, butternut squash, onions & some INDIAN SPICES, this baby came to life. And well, let’s just say, I AM SO GLAD SHE ENTERED THIS WORLD. SHE IS:
DELIGHTFUL, WARMLY SPICY & SUPER-DUPER SATISFYING
(COMFORT FOOD STYLE).
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Curried-AF Clean-Eating Ground Turkey Sautéed with Onions, Garlic, Braised Cherry Tomatoes, Red Bell Peppers & Cilantro for Days a.k.a. The-Bollywood-Babe-That-You-Can’t-Stop-Dreaming-About-Oh-&-One-Skillet-Meals-FTW!
Before we get into the nitty-gritty, I just want to tell you munchkins a thing or two!!! PROMISE I WILL NOT BE LONG! KAY?
A lot of you have asked me why I LOVE, ADORE, OBSESS over cooking with COCONUT OIL. Honestly, there are quite a few reasons, but for those of you who simply do not care (& who are POURING YOUR OLIVE OIL EITHER WAY), I will be brief, SWEAR!
In a nutshell, COCONUT OIL OVER EVERYTHING BECAUSE:
Of course, for starters, it’s all about ‘dat flavour!!!! SHE IS FREAKING DELICIOUS. If you’ve never tried her, give it a shot! I was apprehensive at first too, I SWEAR. BUT ONCE I TRIED HER, THERE WAS NO GOING BACK!
THE BABE is high in NATURAL saturated fats, which NOT ONLY INCREASE THE HEALTHY “GOOD” CHOLESTEROL (HDL) in our bods, but also help to convert the “BAD” CHOLESTEROL (LDL) INTO GOOD ONES! By increasing the HDL’s in the bod, coconut oil actually helps promote HEART HEALTH & LOWER THE RISK OF HEART DISEASE. Basically, fry with coco oil because she’s HEART-HEALTHY!
SHE’S PACKED WITH ANTIOXIDANTS, ergo she can help reduce inflammation!
NOT ONLY IS SHE ANTI-INFLAMMATORY, but, she also contains LAURIC ACID, which is known to fight bacteria & create a hostile environment for viruses. In fact, many diseases today are caused by the overgrowth of bad bacteria, funguses, viruses & parasites in the bod! Coconut oil can act as an immune system boost & IS BASICALLY, ANTI-BACTERIAL, ANTI-FUNGAL & ANTI-VIRAL. Three birds, one stone! Oh, btw, this basically means that coco oil is GOOD FOR YOUR GUT!
OHHH & if all this was not enough, lauric acid also helps for hormone balance!!!
Coco oil can help improve memory & brain function. BASICALLY, SHE MAKES YOU GENIUS. BYE!
THE BABE IS EASY TO DIGEST, PRODUCES A LONGER SUSTAINED ENERGY & INCREASES METABOLISM!
She also IMPROVES DIGESTION! BASICALLY, the babe helps the bod absorb fat-soluble vitamins, calcium & magnesium! And wait for it… if she’s consumed at the same time as omega-3 rich-foods, SHE CAN MAKE THEM TWICE AS EFFECTIVE as they are readily available to be digested & used by the bod. SO, COOK YOUR FISH IN COCO OIL, KAY?
Coconut oil = free skincare!!!!! The fatty acids in coconut oil (caprylic and auric acid) reduce inflammation both INTERNALLY & EXTERNALLY! It protects the skin & has many antioxidants that make it ideal for even HEALING certain skin problems! In addition, the anti-microbial (a.k.a. anti-bacterial) properties of the baby balance out the candida & fundal sources that can be at the root of many skin conditions!
OXIDATIVE STRESS & FREE RADICALS = OSTEOPOROSIS. & Well, since coco oil is JAM-PACKED WITH ANTIOXIDANTS, which help fight free radicals, it is actually a leading natural treatment for osteoporosis, NOT TO MENTION, it increases calcium absorption in the gut!
& Last but not least, for all you munchkins being weight-conscious, BUT who do not want to eliminate all ‘dem healthy fats from your diets (GOOD ON YOU!), COCONUT OIL CAN ACTUALLY HELP WITH WEIGHT LOSS. How so? Basically, due to the energy-creating abilities of this baby, it helps to burn fat, decrease appetite & is overall beneficial to weight loss. I know… it seems counterintuitive to assume that eating a fat will contribute to fat loss, BUT IT’S ACTUALLY VERY, VERY LOGICAL. Let me explain! Basically, the medium-chain fatty-acids found in coconut oil have the ability to control a variety of physiological processes in the body. In fact, studies have shown that these fatty-acids stimulate the body’s metabolism, improve thyroid function, help lower resting heart rate & assist the body in burning fat or energy. THEREFORE, yes, coconut oil is a fat (I KNOW!), but because of the fatty-acids contained in it, YOU CAN BURN FAT WITH FAT. Cray, right? BUT IT’S TRUE. IT’S SCIENTIFIC. IT’S LOGICAL. SO YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT!
OKAY, I’m done. I know, it wasn’t brief, but whatever!!! YOU LEARNED SOMETHING, AGAIN!!!
All this to say, coconut oil is da sh*t!!!!!!!!
OKAY, now, as promised, that nitty-gritty! HERE WE GO!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 3 tbsp. of organic coconut oil;
- 1 lb. of lean ground turkey;
- 2 cups of white or brown rice, COOKED ACCORDING TO PACKAGE DIRECTIONS (If you prefer, sub the rice for noodles, but personally, I find this dish goes best with rice!)
- 1 medium-large sweet white onion, CHOPPED;
- OPTIONAL: If you like your curries SPICY, throw in 1-2 fresh red chilli peppers, CHOPPED;
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt & freshly ground black pepper for seasoning;
- 1 tsp. of ground ginger;
- 2 tsp. of dried minced garlic;
- 1 tbsp. of curry powder;
- 1 tsp. of turmeric;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika;
- LAWLZ!!! TALK ABOUT SPICES FOR DAYS, RIGHT?
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, HALVED;
- 1 large red bell pepper, CHOPPED;
- 2300g of my BEST EVER BUTTERNUT SQUASH, CUBED;
- ½ cup of cilantro or parsley (UHHHH, cilantro, FTW!!!!!), CHOPPED-AF;
- MORE cilantro for garnish & a dash of CINNAMON/NUTMEG (for sprinkle BEFORE DEVOURING!). I know… the cinnamon sounds weird. But, little do you know, every time you go to an Indian restaurant (OFTEN, RIGHT? HOPE SO!), ODDS ARE, there’s some cinnamon or nutmeg in there somewhere, SO DO IT, you’ll be reminded of all those delicious flavours you’ve devoured in them restaurants, ONLY NOW, you’re home cooking. And really, what is better than a homemade meal? NADA.
Okay, SO THE LIST OF INGREDIENTS IS DEFINITELY CLEAN, HEALTHY & BEAUTIFUL… NOT TO MENTION TEMPTING-AF. But, you’re totally sitting there wondering, “How do you whip this babe up?” (Don’t lie. I know those were your thoughts exactly). NOW, LET ME EXPLAIN!
- FOR STARTERS, get your rice goin’! Cook ‘dem grains according to the package directions.
- While your rice is COOKIN’, let’s brown the ground turkey! Munchkins, heat your coconut oil over MEDIUM-HIGH heat in a large skillet! When the oil is HAWT-AF, add the ground turkey, spreading it out & crumbling it over the pan & COOK THE EFF OUT OF IT UNTIL IT BEGINS TO BROWN! Sprinkle the turkey with some salt & freshly ground black peppa!
- Once the turkey begins to brown, throw in ‘dem chopped onions (& chilli peppers, if adding!) & stir continuously & sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until the onion begins to SLIGHTLY color! Sprinkle some ‘mo salt over everything!
- Once the garlic begins to color, add ‘da ground ginger & dried minced garlic! Mix WELL & sauté for another 3-4 minutes, until the turkey is (PRETTY MUCH) no longer pink!
- AND NOW… it’s time to turn this BLAH DISH INTO A RAINBOW. A FREAKING INDIAN GORG DELICIOUS RAINBOW! You know what that means munchkins? It means…. It’s time to add ‘dem spices! SO, go for it. Have fun with it. Throw ‘em in. Sprinkle ‘em. Drizzle ‘em. BUT DON’T ACTUALLY THROW ‘EM IN. Indian spices are very pigmented, ESPECIALLY FREAKING TURMERIC. So… if you take that risk & you start throwin’ turmeric around your kitch, well uh… your counter will turn yellow. So will your backsplash. So will your walls. & well… SO WILL YOUR HANDS (as you desperately try to scrub the eff out of this yellowness, BUT IT JUST DON’T COME OFF). OKAY, rant over. All this to say, add the curry, turmeric, cumin & smoked paprika. Stir all this beautifulness to combine & MIX VERY FREAKING WELL. (P.S. How gorg did all those spices look like piled one on top of the other? I almost did not want to stir… JUST WANTED TO STARE, but then I realized, “Kel, if you don’t stir. You don’t eat!” And so, there I was, STIRRRRRING AWAY!
- Once your turkey & onions are well coated in all ‘dem spices & your turkey is PRETTY MUCH COOKED THROUGH AT THIS POINT, throw in ‘da tomatoes, bell pepper, butternut squash & chopped cilantro! Mix freaking well. Toss to combine. Make sure all your veggies are coated EVENLY in ‘da spices! Cook for 3-5 minutes, until your peppers begin to soften, your tomatoes are braised & wilted & your butternut squash is warmed & sautéed. OH & your cilantro should be wilted too!
- Remove your BEAUTZ ONE-PAN SKILLET MEAL from the heat. At this point, YOUR RICE SHOULD BE COOKED (If it ain’t, you’re doing it wrong. Come on munchkins, all you had to do was follow a package… what on earth happened there?). Anywho, THROW ALL ‘DIS BEAUTIFULNESS INTO A MEDIUM BOWL, top her with your rice & MIX VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY well! Basically, the rice should become an integral part of your dish & should be mixed the eff in with all the other beautifulness! SO TOSS, TOSS, TOSS & TOSS SOME ‘MO! Ya dig?
- Once the rice is fully mixed in with the rest of your dish, PLATE THE BABE. Garnish her with some more freshly chopped cilantro, a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg OR BOTH & sprinkle ‘er with some freshly ground black pepper!
- NOW… DRUMROLL PLEASE. DEVOUR!!!! (Did you really need a drumroll though… for me to tell you that you had permission to devour? DIDN’T THINK SO! But whatevz! Drumrolls are fun, so why the eff not?!).
OH & FOOD PORN!!!
Enjoy babies!! xoxo
<3 <3 <3 <3