Hi my loves!!!!
Happy SaturYAY! It’s LEGIT summer in Montreal today, I’m such a happy camper RN!!!!! FINE. Maybe I don’t have to brighten your day (like I had to last week, given all ‘dat rain!!!), BUT, I do have the absolute MOST PERFECT WAY FOR YOU TO START YOUR WEEKEND!!! Wanna know? Yes you do. Of course you do.
Babies, these are my PECAN DRIED FRUIT QUINOA & OAT COOKIES. WTF? How the heck did I come up with this? I HAVE NO EFFING CLUE. All I know is these are going to be a freaking classic for me. I know, quinoa in a cookie might sound a bit weird, BUT THESE BABIES WILL TURN YOU INTO A BELIEBER. Oops, I mean a BELIEVER!!! (Don’t worry, I still love you even if you’re into the BIEBZ, I mean… DESPACITO, you?)
Made with gluten-free flour, LOADS OF DRIED FRUIT (I’m talkin’ dried mango, pineapple, dates & apricots) & PECANS. PECANS. PECANS, these tasty treats are the PERF. healthy, clean-AF, nutrient-packed, delish, sweet & nutty SNACK!!!!!! Legit, so excited to share these babies with you. I mean I know you’ve been SALIVATING, DROOLING, DREAMING, FANTASIZING & ALL ‘DAT GOOD STUFF ABOUT ‘EM.
I did not even tell you munchkins about the texture…
WOAH. Crumbly & oat-y with just the right amount of chewy. I CANNOT. I CANNOT.
Like… then you have the crunchy BAKED-AF nuts with their roasted & toasted flavour… & then the chewy, tarty dried fruit… BAKED!
AHHH. It’s like the perfect balance between sweet & nutty & savoury.
GUYS, I legit pondered all morning about how I could concoct something this beautiful. A combination like this is so rare; it’s heavenly. And honestly, I do not have an answer. Sometimes, my mind gets to work & it’s legit, can’t stop, won’t stop. I’m throwin’ things into the bowl, then throwin’ something else in & then OH WAIT, ONE LAST THING & suddenly, a beautiful recipe like this is born.
And just like that, I’m filling your tummies!!!
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Clean-Eating Pecan & Dried Fruit Quinoa & Oat Cookies a.k.a. The-Heavenly-QUINOA-Babes-With-The-Perfect-Amount-of-Crunch-Roast-Toast-Chewiness-Tartiness-Crumble-a.k.a.-The-Mother-Of-All-Cookies!
Oh & UH… CAN WE JUST DISCUSS THE TASTE OF FREAKING BAKED PECANS FOR A SEC? Yeah… ugh…
That ZOMFG FLAVOUR CAN’T WAIT TO DEVOUR YOU & OMFG… that combined with the taste of sweet & tarty BAKED DRIED FRUIT. I’m dying.
OH & QUINOA. KAY, I CAN GO ON FOR DAYS, CLEARLY. But, RANT OVER, for now… I did say for now, SO DON’T EXPECT ME TO SHADDUP ALL DAY. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN.
Sorry I lied. The rant is never over. Not until SOME NUTRITION-101 WITH KELLY IN ‘DA KITCH. Y’ALL READY FOR ‘DIS? Today, we talk about… NONE OTHER THAN QUINOA!!!!!
P.S. BEFORE ANOREXIA, I had a legit obsession with all things quinoa, like QUINOA SALADS WERE A DAILY OCCURRENCE FOR ME. But then, anorexia tried to KILL ME & she took quinoa away in the process. NOW, QUINOA IS BACK IN MY LIFE & WE ARE BEST FRIENDS FOREVER & EVER. THIS TIME, NOBODY IS GETTING IN OUR WAY. Nope, not even you, Anorexia! Bye! Bye Felicia! Bye!
OKAY, so why is quinoa so freaking GOOD-FOR-YOU?
First & foremost, in a nutshell, quinoa is non-GMO, gluten-free, high in PROTEIN & one of the few plant food that contain all 9 essential amino acids!!!! (BTW, these are basically acids that the bod cannot synthesize on its own, so they must be obtained from a balanced diet!!! AND, most plant foods are deficient in certain essential amino acids. BUT GUESS WHAT? QUINOA ISN’T. & THAT MAKES HER A “COMPLETE” PROTEIN!).
NOT ONLY IS SHE SUPER HIGH IN PROTEIN, but also, THIS BABY is HIGH IN FIBER, MAGNESIUM, B-VITAMINS, FOLATE, COPPER, ZINC, IRON, POTASSIUM, CALCIUM, PHOSPHORUS, and VITAMIN E & contains TONS OF BENEFICIAL ANTIOXIDANTS! She also contains a small amount of omega-3 fatty acids!
NOW, let’s get to the nitty-gritty.
Quinoa is actually a seed, which is prepared & eaten similarly to a grain! In historic times, she was actually referred to as “the mother of all grains”. TODAY, IT HAS REACHED… WAIT FOR IT… SUPERFOOD STATUS!
The health effects of REAL FOOD, one of which is quinoa, go way beyond the vitamins & minerals it contains! In fact, there are TONS of nutrients in there, some of which are extremely HEALTHY-AF. I’m talkin’ about molecules like flavonoids, which are PLANT ANTIOXIDANTS that have tons of beneficial effects on the health! What kind, you ask? I’m talking anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-cancer & anti-depressant effects. BASICALLY, ANTI-EVERYTHING-BAD-FOR-YOU!
So I told you munchkins that quinoa is high in fibre, BUT, NOT ONLY IS SHE HIGH IN FIBRE, BUT SHE IS MUCH HIGER IN THIS ESSENTIAL NUTRIENT THAN MOST OTHER GRAINS! Most of the fibre is insoluble, BUT, IT ALSO CONTAINS SOME SOLUBLE FIBRE & as I’ve told you munchkins before, studies have shown that soluble fibre can help reduce blood sugar levels, lower cholesterol, increase fullness & help with weight loss! COOL, RIGHT?
IF ALL THIS AIN’T ENOUGH, quinoa also has a very low glycemic index, which is GOOD & ESSENTIAL FOR BLOOD SUGAR CONTROL. In a nutshell, the glycemic index is basically a measure of how quickly a food will raise blood sugar levels. Eating foods high on the glycemic index can stimulate hunger & lead to obesity, diabetes &heart disease. BUT, QUINOA HAS A LOW GI!!! So load up, people!
I mentioned it earlier, BUT IT’S WORTH A SECOND MENTION. This baby is SUPER-DUPER-UBER high in antioxidants, which are substances that neutralize free radicals, help fight aging & many diseases (I’ve told you babies this like 100 times!). Basically, antioixdants are freaking awesome for you & quinoa is packed with them… so like, BAKE THESE COOKIES STAT. Kay?
OHHHH, btw, did you munchkins know that quinoa’s high rotein content can increase metabolism?!
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, QUINOA GOES WELLLL WITH EVERYTHING! & you know what, munchkins?
SHE GOES ESPECIALLY WELL WITH THESE COOKIES.
Actually, especially is an understatement.
OKAY, now that you are convinced not only about the DELICIOUSNESS OF THESE BABIES, BUT ALSO ABOUT THEIR NUTRITIOUSNESS, LET’S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 ½ cups of gluten-free all-purpose flour;
- 1 tsp. of sea salt;
- ½ tsp. of organic non-GMO baking powder;
- ½ tsp. of baking soda;
- ½ cup of unsalted butter OR vegan butter OR margarine, AT ROOM TEMPERATURE;
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar;
- ¼ cup of organic coconut sugar or brown sugar;
- ¼ cup of raw organic honey;
- 2 large organic eggs;
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- ½ tsp. of pure organic almond extract;
- 1 cup of organic quinoa, COOLED;
- 1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats;
- 1 cup of varied organic dried fruit (I used dried pineapple, mango, dates & apricots, but feel free to throw in some cranberries, raisins or prunes!);
- ½ – ¾ cup of PECANS. PECANS. PECANS, CRUMBLED-AF (Feel free to sub the pecans, BUT YOU’RE INSANE, for slivered unsalted almonds, walnuts, peanuts or CRUMBLED CASHEWS!).
OKAY, NOW THAT YOU HAVE ALL THESE INGREDIENTS LAID OUT IN FRONT OF YOUR BEAUTIFUL FACES, let’s get to the HOW-TO?!?!
P.S. This recipe will yield ABOUT 20-24 cookies, DEPENDING HOW BIG YOU WANT ‘EM! I prefer mine bigger, so a batch of these ingredients usually gives me about 20 cookies!
- PREHEAT your oven to 375F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper!
- Whisk ‘DA FLOUR, SALT, BAKING POWDER & BAKING SODA IN A MEDIUM metal mixing bowl;
- Using an electric mixer, BEAT ‘DA BUTTER (or substitute), both SUGAS & HONEY in a LARGE bowl, until LIGHT & FLUFFY-AF, about 3 minutes!
- Add ‘dem EGGS & EXTRACTS! Beat this baby until PALE & FLUFFY-AF, about 2 minutes!
- NOW, BLEND IN ‘DAT FLOUR MIXTURE!
- MAKE SURE YOUR QUINOA IS COOLED. IF IT IS, STIR IN ‘DA QUINOA, OATS, DRIED FRUIT & NUTS!
- Spoon ‘da beautiful dough in 2 tbsp. portions onto ‘da prepared sheets, spacing ‘em about 1 inch apart (If you want smaller cookies, go for it! Spoon ‘da dough in 1 or 1.5 tbsp. portions, according to your preferences, my loves! I mean, it is kinda smart to make smaller cookies, BECAUSE THEN YOU CAN JUSTIFY EATING MORE THAN JUST ONE AT A TIME! #winning!).
- Bake ‘dem babies until they are golden, 12 to 15 minutes (Baked mine for 14, precisely & well, lez be honest, they turned out PERF!!!! NOT TO MENTION, THEY TASTE LIKE FREAKING HEAVEN, MAN!).
- Let the babes cool on the baking sheets for about 10-15 minutes, then transfer ‘em to a wire rack & let ‘em cool! BUT PLEASE, TASTE THEM. RIGHT AWAY. LIKE I GIVE YOU FULL & COMPLETE PERMISSION TO DO SO. LIKE A FREAKING PERMISSION SLIP!
- STORE THE BABES at room temperature for MAX. A WEEK, or freeze ‘em for up 1 month! (Basically, this is totally permission & even, AN ORDER, for you munchkins to double the batch & FREEZE SOME OF THESE BABES FOR WHEN A CRAVING HITS! They’ll be ready in a jiffy & your craving will be satisfied STAT. A.k.a. EVERYONE IS HAPPY & LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL. AND QUINOA COOOOKIES! YUM!
OH & FOOD PORN!!!
Enjoy my loves!!! <3 <3