Clean-AF Braised Tomatoes, Sautéed Onion, Zucchini & Spinach Garlicky-AF Egg White Frittata with a Side Dip of Greek Yogurt a.k.a. The-Breaky-For-Din-Sitch-That-Will-Make-You-Forget-All-About-The-Garlic-Breath-Literally!!
I know. It’s late. But, I GOT SO MANY MESSAGES ABOUT TONIGHT’S DINNER RECIPE that I JUST HAD TO REVEAL HER STAT. On a total side note, you munchkins have no idea how rewarding it is for me to receive messages like that, SO PLEASE KEEP ‘EM COMING! (& Please do submit them recipe requests and/or suggestions if you’ve got any. DO NOT BE SHY! I’m here to feed your tummies, babies & to make them SMILE & GIGGLE & DO A LIL’ DANCE).
After a super-duper busy day, it was A LAZY NIGHT IN THE KITCH (But, I bet it don’t look like it, right?). And yes, you guessed right (or already knew), tonight’s din was YET ANOTHER FRITTATA. And you all know what frittata means. Yes, yes, it means deliciousness.
BUT WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO WAS…
YET ANOTHER BREAKY FOR DIN SITCH. &
obvs, ANOTHER HEAVENLY KITCH SITCH!
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Clean-AF Braised Tomatoes, Sautéed Onion, Zucchini & Spinach Garlicky-AF Egg White Frittata with a Side Dip of Greek Yogurt a.k.a. The-Breaky-For-Din-Sitch-That-Will-Make-You-Forget-All-About-The-Garlic-Breath-Literally!!
I know I have these babies QUITE OFTEN, but I’m sure you’ve noticed that I
almost (always) make it a point of switching up the veggie mix so that I don’t get sick of this protein-packed wonderfulness that I WANT TO KEEP ENJOYING & DEVOURING & ALSOOOO because I just can’t resist trying out TONS of different NEW & FUN VEGGIE COMBINATIONS! NOW, for this one…
Braised cherry tomatoes.
Sautéed white sweet onion.
Zucchini for days.
Spinach. Spinach. Spinach. Spinach.
LOADS & LOADS of dried minced garlic! Gotta LOVE ‘dat garlic breath, LAWLZ! Kelly in the Kitch + Garlic = LOVE <3 But you knew that, right?);
Oh & you know, some fresh cilantro & basil!
& of course, a MASSIVELY-WIDE-HUGE ARRAY OF SPICES. As always.
& of course… THAT SIDE DIP. But we’ll talk about that soon!
At the sight of this ingredients tease, do you babies agree with me that whoever said that BREAKY-FOR-DINS was a bad thing was CRAY-CRAY? I know you agree. Don’t lie. Don’t try to be all nice & modest and stuff.
JUST ADMIT IT, BREAKY FOR DINS IS LIFE. HEAVEN ON EARTH. GODLY. Right?
GUYS, all this to say, I totally DEVOUREDDDDD her (oopsies) in the least polite, least ladylike way possible. OH WELL, JUDGE ME ALLLL YOU WANT. BYE! WAIT. No, not actually bye. LAWLZ. I have a few more things to say (WHEN DO I NOT?).
Would you babies believe me if I RAVED & BRAGGED & RANTED about how THIS BABE PACKS:
35 GRAMS OF PROTEIN &
17 GRAMS OF FIBRE PER SERVING?
Yep. Not lying. Totally serious-AF RN. Basically, my dinner is not only DINNER GOALS, FRITTATA GOALS, BREAKY-FOR-DIN GOALS, BUT SHE’S ALSO PROTEIN GOALS!!!!
A little birdie told me that the TEMPTATION IS REALLY GETTING TO YOU!! THAT IT’S KILLING YOU. SOFTLY. And TBH, it breaks my heart to know I’m doing that to you. So, in the spirit of keeping my heart TOGETHER & in the spirit of MAKING YOUR TEMPTATION GO AWAY, MAKING YOUR TUMTUMS HAPPY & FILLLLING ‘DEM UP, let’s get to the nitty-gritty of this baby!!!!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 8 organic egg whites;
- 1 tbsp. of organic coconut oil or organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 1 large white sweet onion, DICED;
- 180g of cherry tomatoes, HALVED;
- 200g of zucchini, CHOPPED;
- 200g of spinach;
- ½ cup of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- ½ cup of fresh basil, CHOPPED;
- Freshly ground black pepper & sea salt for seasoning!
- 1 tsp. of dried minced garlic;
- 1 tsp. of onion powder;
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder;
- ¼ tsp. of dried basil;
- ¼ tsp. of dried rosemary flakes (If you don’t got any rosemary or you ain’t down for the taste, you can sub her for some dried thyme!);
- ¼ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt for seasoning;
- 250g of 2% organic Greek yogurt (or ricotta, sour cream or cottage cheese, if you prefer!);
- OPTIONAL: ½ tsp. of dried chilli flakes for some spice &/or Sriracha OR some shredded mozzarella/cheddar or nutritional yeast for garnish!
OKAY, but how clean & healthy are these ingredients?
& Can we just discuss, for like a half a second, how amazing it feels to know EXACTLY what is going into your meals & not only to KNOW, but to ENJOY IT LIKE THERE’S NO TOMORROW & TO NOT FEEL AN INCH DEPRIVED?
Seriously, it’s amazing how creative you get in the kitch when you legit make it your day-job (You know what they say… RECOVERY IS A FULL-TIME JOB & IT’S TRUE, but it’s the best full-time job I’ve ever had, NOT TO MENTION THE MOST FREAKING REWARDING, SO YEP, GONNA KEEP DOING IT!).
Anywho, RANT OVER. BYE! Kidding, wanna know how to whip this up? I KNOW YOU DO. & YOU HAVE ME GOING & ONCE I’M GOING, I DON’T STOP, SO HERE I GO (Or should I say, HERE I CONTINUE?!):
- Heat 1 tbsp. of organic coconut oil/organic EVOO in a skillet over MEDIUM HEAT! Once heated, add your diced onion & season the babes with some freshly ground black pepper & sea salt!
- Sauté the onion for about 2-3 minutes, until it begins to brown & get fragrant (a.k.a. ONION HEAVEN, similar to GARLIC HEAVEN, which you munchkins are totz. familiar with at this point! I mean… it’s Kelly in the Kitch you’re talkin’ to here, ya feel me?).
- NOW, add your cherry tomatoes & zucchini. Season with some ‘mo salt & peppa & sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes until your tomatoes begin to look braised, wilted & browned & your zucchini becomes tender!
- NOW, ADD ‘DEM HERBS. LIKE JUST THROW ‘EM IN. I’m talkin’ ‘bout ‘dat fresh cilantro & fresh basil! Sauté for another 1-2 minutes until the herbs begin to get wilted & your veggies are all cooked through & browned!
- NOWWWW, YOU ARE ABOUT TO ADD MY BABE TO THE SKILLET. So please, I love her a lot & I need you munchkins to be very, very careful with her. Do you understand? Please say yes! OKAY, all ‘dis to say, ADD ‘DAT SPINACH TO YOUR SKILLET & combine with the rest of your veggies! Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until the spinach is wilted!
- OKAY, it’s that time. The time where this babe turns into AN ALMOST-FRITTATA. Y’all ready? LOWER YOUR HEAT TO MEDIUM-LOW. Flatten your veggie mixture so that it covers the bottom of your skillet completely (TRY NOT TO LET THERE BE ANY HOLES!). BASICALLY, you are founding the base for your frittata, so DO IT RIGHT. It’s all in ‘da foundation, right?
- Once your veggies are flattened, POUR IN ‘DEM EGG WHITES!!! Season ‘da babes with ‘dem spices. Fine. Fine. I’ll list ‘em. I’m talkin’ the minced garlic, onion powder, SMOKED (Yes, it makes all the difference. INVEST IN IT. OKAY?) PAPRIKA, garlic powder, dried basil, rosemary, peppa & organic Himalayan sea salt!
- OKAY, this is the part of the recipe where you REALLY need to PAY ATTENTION. Basically, let your egg whites cook, BUT WATCH THEM. As you see the sides of your frittata begin to turn upwards, swivel your pan around, like do a lil’ dance, so that the uncooked egg whites remaining at the top of your frittata run down the edges of your skillet & begin to cook! Do this until your egg whites are all set & cooked through & your frittata is gorg-AF. BUT, YOU’RE STILL NOT DONE. NOW, IT’S TIME FOR THE BEST PART.
- SET YOUR OVEN TO LOW BROIL. Put ‘da babe (I’m talkin’ the frittata) in the oven & BROIL HER for 2-3 minutes! (If you are planning to add cheese or nutritional yeast to the babe, DO SO BEFORE PUTTING HER IN TO BROIL SO THAT YOUR CHEESE MELTS & BROWNS – CRISPY-AF CHEESE, BAKED MAC & CHEESE STYLE, YA FEEL ME?!?!). Guys, this broiling step is freaking crucial, like it takes this frittata from 100 to 200 (No, she’s too beautiful & yummy that she did not start at zero. She started at 100, okay?).
- Once the timer beeps & you want to freaking KILL IT because it WON’T SHADDUP, remove your frittata from ‘da oven. FRESH OUT ‘DA OVEN STYLE! Let her cool for about 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, remove the babe from the skillet with a large spatula! PLATE HER. GARNISH HER WITH FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER & if adding, CHEEEESE, CHILI FLAKES &/OR SRIRACHA!
- Serve this baby with a side of GREEK YOGURT, RICOTTA, SOUR CREAM OR COTTAGE CHEESE (or a lil’ bit of all of ‘em – DEPENDS HOW YOU SWING!). Basically, dip every single bite into whichever form of creamy, smooth, rich, indulgent wonderfulness you choose et voilà!!!
OH & FOOD PORN!!!
Enjoy babies!! <3 xoxo!