Hi again my loves!
Can we all just take a second, or like, a moment of silence, to acknowledge how ON TOP OF MY GAME I’VE BEEN THESE DAYS?
BACK, yes, again! Now, with TONIGHT’S DINNER GOALS.
This one rendered me absolutely-positively speechless, guys. It is absolutely nuts. As I was putting her together, with every step, I just kept thinking to myself how on earth such a beautiful recipe could come together in such a short amount of time, YET… SHE IS SO FREAKING BURSTING WITH FLAVOUR THAT YOU WON’T EVEN NOTICE THE NOODLES ARE GONE!!!
Wait, what noodles?
Basically, the logic behind this BABE is that by replacing the lasagna noodles with THIN-SLICED ZUCCHINI, you create a delish, lower-carb, gluten-free & (possibly vegan) lasagna that is LOADED WITH VEGGIES… & she’s so freaking good, you will not miss the pasta.
P.S. When I say possibly vegan, what I mean is, JUST REMOVE ‘DA GOAT CHEESE & SOUR CREAM & substitute her with some cashew-based cheese or some ‘mo nutritional yeast… and just like MAGIC, you’ve got yourself a vegan dish!
I swear, she’ll give you all the feels of traditional lasagna, without making you feel weighed down when you’re done, A.K.A. NO FAT PANTS FOR YOU TONIGHT! And wait for it… BECAUSE THE LASAGNA NOODLES ARE REPLACED & YOUR DISH IS NOW LOWER IN CARBS, this gives you ULTIMATE PERMISSION TO JUST ADD MORE CHEESE. And when I say, “add more cheese”, I totally mean, LOAD UP ON CHEEEESE, without feeling bad about doing so! I MEAN, YOUR NOODLES ARE ZUCCHINI, SO YOU’RE BEING ÜBER-HEALTHY & STUFF, so why not, TREAT YO’SELF?
Babes, I swear. I tried to keep this babe AS HEALTHY AS POSSIBLE, but still packed her full of flavour & well… CHEESE & SOUR CREAM. Sorry, not sorry. A girl’s gotta indulge every now & then!!!!! PLUS, WHAT IS LASAGNA WITHOUT CHEESE OR A CHEESE SUBSTITUTE? She ain’t lasagna, that’s for sure!!!!!
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Gluten-Free Jam-Packed Veggie, Herbed Goat Cheese & Sour Cream Zucchini Lasagna a.k.a. So-Effing-Flavourful-You-Won’t-Even-Notice-The-Noodles-Are-Gone-Wait-What-Noodles?
In case you munchkins haven’t noticed, zucchini is ONE OF MY FAVE (I did say “one of”… I DO HAVE A LOT OF FAVES, GOTTA ADMIT IT!) VEGGIES to use in recipes because its mild flavah & light texture work perfectly in both SWEET & SAVOURY DISHES, all while adding substance & moisture, with tons of nutritional benefits!!!! (In a nutshell, those nutritional benefits? Vitamin A, magnesium, folate, potassium, copper, phosphorus, omega-3s, such as zinc, niacin & protein. OH, & vitamins B1, B6, B2 & calcium. WOAH!!!! Right?).
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of this BABE OF A DISH, I just want to tease you munchkins a bit about her FLAVOUR!!!! Sorry… it’s just… UGH, I JUST HAVE TO! I apologize in advance, I really, genuinely do.
Sautéed-AF onions, mushrooms & bell peppers.
Fine herb & garlic GOAT CHEESE.
Strained tomatoes (organic ones, OBVS!).
Cheeeesy cheeeesiness (or nutritional yeast!).
Kay, but how am I still standing? Heck, how on earth am I still alive? The thought of her… AFTER I HAVE ALREADY DEVOURED HER still weakens me!!!! To the bones!!! SWEAR. I need her again.
AND, well, if the description of her flavours is not enough to convince you & to tempt you, WHAT IF I TOLD YOU THAT THE SMELL IN MY KITCH WHILE SHE WAS BAKING TOOK ME TO LASAGNA HEAVEN? Would you believe me? Would you agree? (LAWLZ!). No, but seriously, you know when something smells so good you could LEGIT taste it (even though you aren’t ACTUALLY)? Yep. That feeling. FOR A WHOLE FREAKING 25 MINUTES. DYING. Like I’ve told you munchkins in the past, my recipes are totz (subconsciously) helping you build tons of self-control & resistance!! Once again: Two birds. One stone. KILLING IT!
OKAY, but does my ranting ever end? NOPE. NEVER. Not until someone tells me to shaddup. So, who wants to be the bearer of bad news ce soir? Fine. Fine. For once in my life, I’ll admit it to myself. IT’S TIME TO SHADDUP. You munchkins are dying to know how to whip this babe up & it’s totally unfair for me to continue to keep it from you. YOU’VE BEEN WAITING LONG ENOUGH & I FINALLY ACKNOWLEDGE IT. YEP, ALL BY MYSELF! #BIGGIRLTINGS
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 1 large onion, CHOPPED;
- 150g of white mushrooms, THINLY SLICED;
- 150g of bell peppers, CUBED;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 1 tsp. chilli powder;
- Organic Himalayan sea salt & freshly ground black pepper for seasoning;
- 1 cup of organic FINE HERB & GARLIC GOAT CHEESE or organic ricotta cheese;
- ¾ cup of organic SOURRRR CREAM;
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 ½ cups of organic strained tomatoes;
- 3 large zucchinis, THINLY SLICED LENGTHWISE;
- ¼ cup of nutritional yeast, shredded cheddar or mozzarella;
- Fresh cilantro & freshly ground black pepper, for garnish!
- OPTIONAL: Red pepper chilli flakes OR Sriracha OR BOTH for some spice & EXTRA sour cream or shredded cheese for drizzle!
P.S. If you guys want to take “vegetarian” out of the title & make this baby into a MEAT-Y & HEARTY LASAGNA, you can totally throw in some lean ground beef, chicken or turkey right before you season ‘dem veggies (a.k.a. the onions, mushrooms & bell peppers) with ‘dem spices!!!! If you do add meat/chicken, cook until no longer pink, for approximately 8-10 minutes!!
NOW, for ‘dat HOW-TO?
- Preheat your oven to 350F!
- In a LARGE skillet over MEDIUM heat, heat ‘dat olive oil! Add the onion, mushrooms & bell peppers & cook until TENDER-AF, about 5 minutes! Once the babes are getting tender-AF, season them with cumin, chilli powder, sea salt & peppa!
- While the veggies are sautéing & YOUR KITCHEN BEGINS TO SMELL LIKE HEAVEN, try to resist devouring the skillet & in the meantime, in a small bowl, STIR TOGETHER ‘DAT GOAT CHEESE & SOUR CREAM! Season the beautiful, creamy, smooth & CHEEEEESY mixture with ‘dat garlic powder!
- In a large baking or casserole dish, spread a thin layer of strained tomatoes. TOP ‘DA SAUCE WITH A LAYER OF ZUCCHINI NOODLES, THE CHEESE MIXTURE, ‘dem veggies & some nutritional yeast/cheese!!!! Repeat ‘da process until all ‘dem ingredients are used up!!!!! (It’s a sad moment when you have no more ingredients, right? BUT, DO NOT DESPAIR BABIES, IT JUST MEANS THEY ARE ALL INTEGRATED & INCORPORATED INTO YOUR BAKING DISH & you know what else that means? IT MEANS YOU’LL BE DEVOURING ‘EM STAT!
- BAKE THE BEAUTY until the noodles (A.K.A. THE ZUCCHINI) are tender, about 25 minutes!!!
- Once BAKED-AF, GARNISH her with fresh cilantro & freshly ground black peppa (AND sour cream/chilli flakes/Sriracha, if adding!) If you’re adding more cheese, I totally suggest drizzling the cheese & putting the babe back in the oven for 4-5 minutes to melt the cheese & let it crisp around the edges, MAC & CHEESE STYLE, YA DIG?! NOMZ!
- DEVOUR IMMEDIATELY. ASAP. STAT. PRONTO. NOW!!!! BYE!
OH & FOOD PORN!!
ENJOY BABIES!!! <3 XOXO!
OH, & in case you babies were wondering how I’m doing PROGRESS-WISE, HERE ARE SOME PICS, A.K.A. ‘DAT EVIDENCE!
Not bad, right!?! 🙂