Yes, yes, it is ME, KELLY IN THE KITCH, yet again!!!! “Can’t stop, won’t stop” mode in full force RN.
I just couldn’t leave you munchkins fantasizing about tonight’s din any longer. I genuinely did not believe it was fair & plus, tonight’s dins also makes for a great lunch idea & in anticipation of your lunch prep tomorrow morning, I figured, HEY, WHY NOT GIVE MY BEAUTIFUL FOLLOWERS A QUICK & SIMPLE RECIPE TO WHIP UP? Basically, I just solved your “I don’t know what to have for lunch” issues, that you were totz having STAT. Do not lie. I know you were wondering.
Tonight, I was craving-AF something indulgent, cheesy & COMFORT-FOOD-ISH, so I accepted the challenge & put my little brain to work & THIS BABE WAS BORN. I mean, my love for goat cheese definitely helped with this one... it’s NEVER really a debate when it comes to goat cheese… ONCE THE IDEA OF HER POPS INTO MY HEAD, IT’S OVER. She becomes the main event of my recipe concoction & well, there is no going back.
WHAT I’M TRYING TO SAY IS, basically, NOTHING BEATS oven-roasted veggies on toasted sprouted grains bread LOVINGLY SMEARED & SMOTHERED IN FINE HERB & GARLIC GOAT CHEESE. It’s a REALLY, REALLY SIMPLE, BUT REALLY, REALLY OVERWHELMINGLY DELICIOUS combination! Literally, all there is to this delish sandwich is ROASTING ‘DEM VEGGIES, smothering some mustard & goat cheese, toasting the bread & finally, BUILDING THIS BEAUTIFUL MASTERPIECE!!!!!
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s Clean-Eating Oven-Roasted Veggies & Organic Fine Herb & Garlic Goat Cheese Sprouted Grains Sandwich a.k.a. That-Flawless-Sandwich-That-Is-So-Pretty-You-Won’t-Want-To-Ruin-Her-But-The-Temptation-Killed-You-&-Just-Like-That-She’s-Gone!
I’m about to go on a little rant. DON’T SAY I DIDN’T WARN YOU. But, what I want to tell you munchkins is one of the reasons I started this blog was because I wanted to turn your average everyday recipes into healthier versions. I really, truly, genuinely do believe that we can continue to eat the things WE LOVE, ADORE & ARE OBSESSED WITH and stay healthy if we substitute the unhealthy ingredients for cleaner options.
BABIES, IF YOU PUT YOUR MINDS TO WORK, THERE IS ALWAYS, AND I MEAN ALWAYS, A CLEANER & HEALTHIER ALTERNATIVE OUT THERE. You’ve just gotta be willing to put the work in & make the extra effort. Basically, if you want to eat well AND live a clean & healthy life, YOU NEED TO BE WILLING TO GO THE EXTRA MILE!
And so, in the spirit of
HEALTHIER (HEALTHIEST) OPTIONS, I don’t know about you munchkins but I ALWAYS USE SPROUTED GRAIN BREAD, In case you did not know, it’s the healthiest bread on the market RN. I’ve already mentioned the benefits of sprouted grains in a few of my post, BUT TO RECAP, they are much easier to digest than whole grains (because they HAVE NOT been refined into flour) & they contain WAY MORE VITAMINS & ENZYMES THAN WHOLE GRAINS.
Basically, sprouted grains > whole grains.
HECK, SPROUTED GRAINS OVER EVERYTHING.
AND SO, I got my indulgence. I got my cheesy dinner. & I got my comfort food, BUT I DID SO IN THE CLEANEST & HEALTHIEST WAY POSSIBLE. I mean, you munchkins will see, the ingredients SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES. & you know what? SO DOES THE NUTRITIONAL PUNCH OF THIS BABE. Let me explain…
THIS HEAVENLY SANDWICH PACKS A WHOPPING…
25 grams of protein!
22 grams of fibre!
& ONLY 3 GRAMS OF SUGAR (all of which is completely natural & unrefined and comes from the sweet potato, asparagus & red bell pepper!!!)
Now, if this is not a freaking WINNING SANDWICH, BASICALLY, IF THIS IS NOT SANDWICH GOALS, I don’t know what is.
ANYWHO, I think that’s enough ranting & I think I’ve proved my point. It’s time to whip up this sandwich. If I don’t have you convinced, BYE! IF I DO, here we go babies!!!!
FOR TWO MONSTER SANDWICHES Á LA KELLY IN THE KITCH, you will need:
- 4 slices of sprouted grain toast, TOASTED-AF;
- 120g of organic fine herb & garlic goat cheese;
- 50g of red bell pepper, FINELY SLICED;
- 80g of my Oven-Roasted Asparagus (RECIPE HERE);
- 40g of zucchini, FINELY SLICED;
- 50g of white mushrooms, SLICED;
- 50g of sweet potato, ROASTED ACCORDING TO THIS RECIPE (or, simply roast her with the rest of the veggies, BUT YOU MIGHT NEED TO ROAST HER FOR A FEW EXTRA MINUTES once you remove ‘dem other veggies from ‘da oven!);
- 2 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 1 tbsp. of organic balsamic vinegar;
- 1 tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice;
- 1 tsp. of dried minced garlic;
- 1 tsp. of onion powder;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 1 tsp. of dried parsley flakes;
- ½ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- ¼ tsp. of organic Himalayan pink sea salt (& more, if necessary!).
- LOADS OF FRESH BASIL & SPINACH LEAVES;
- 2-3 tsp. of organic yellow or Dijon mustard;
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper for garnish;
- OPTIONAL: 1-2 tbsp. of organic Vegan mayo (or regular mayo) & 1-2 tsp. of Sriracha for some spice!!!
Are you still there? Please, do not tell me you passed out. I NEED EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU MUNCHKINS IN MY LIFE!
Plus, if you pass out, you will not get to try her… SO HOLD YOURSELVES TOGETHER, BABIES, PLEASE! Do yourselves (& ME) a favour!
Plus, I’m about to get to the BEST PART… I’M ABOUT TO TELL YOU HOW TO MAKE THIS BABE COME TOGETHER!!! YOU READY?
- Preheat your oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper;
- Add all your beautz veggies (except the basil & spinach) to a MEDIUM METAL MIXING BOWL & season with the olive oil, lemon juice & ALL ‘DEM SPICES! TOSS to combine all this beautifulness & make sure all your veggies are EVENLY COATED; you know the drill by now, right lovies?
- Lay your veggies on the baking sheet (DO NOT PILE THEM!!!) & BAKE the babes for 20 minutes (If your sweet potatoes were not already cooked according to my recipe mentioned above, you may find that you need to roast ‘em for a bit longer, like an extra 10-15 minutes!)
- Once your veggies are baked, set them aside to cool off for a couple minutes & TOAST YOUR BREAD IN THE MEANTIME!
- Once toasted, spread 1 ½ tsp. of mustard (& mayo and Sriracha, if adding!) on one toast, then SPREAD ‘DAT GOAT CHEESE! Top the goat cheese with your grilled veggies and drizzle some salt & some freshly ground black pepper!
- NOW, top the second slice of bread with the crispy spinach & fresh basil & CLOSE YOUR SANDWICH (Is “closing” your sandwich a thing? WHATEVZ. JUST MADE IT A THING! But either way, you munchkins know what I mean – BASICALLY, MAKE A SANDWICH, OKAY?).
- DEVOUR IMMEDIATELY!!!!! (While ‘dem veggies are still warm, ‘dat goat cheese is slightly melted & ‘dat spinach & basil are still CRISP-AF, ya feel me?). Basically, this is an ON-THE-SPOT recipe. There’s no saving this babe for later, okay? PLUS, LET ME TELL Y’ALL – YOU’D NEVER BE ABLE TO RESIST ANYWAY. She’s FLAWLESS.
OH & FOOD PORN!!!
ENJOY BABIES!!!! <3 xoxo