Kelly’s Clean-Eating Maple Mustard Balsamic Chicken Marinade a.k.a. That-“I-Smother-That-Stuff-On-Everything”-Marinade-That-Will-Render-You-Speechless-Mostly-Because-Your-Mouth-Will-Be-CONSTANTLY-Busy-Chewing!
HAPPY MONDAY!… what’s different about THIS MONDAY is that it IS actually a HAPPY Monday because it’s a LONG FREAKING WEEKEND. WOOT! Only thing is… the weather in MTL sucks RN. BUT, BUT, BUT, that does give you a pretty effin’ good reason to spend your day meal preppin’ for the week!!!! & EVERY MEAL PREP NEEDS A GRILLED CHICKEN MARINADE.
So here I am babies, GIVING YOU EXACTLY WHAT YOUR MEAL PREP SESH NEEDS… A MAPLE MUSTARD BALSAMIC CHICKEN MARINADE. Y’all ready for this? I don’t think you know what’s about to hit you! Here we go munchkins!!
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s Clean-Eating Maple Mustard Balsamic Chicken Marinade a.k.a. That-“I-Smother-That-Stuff-On-Everything”-Marinade-That-Will-Render-You-Speechless-Mostly-Because-Your-Mouth-Will-Be-CONSTANTLY-Busy-Chewing!!
THINK: Maple syrup. Yellow mustard. Olive oil. Balsamic vinegar. Apple cider vinegar. Minced garlic. SPICES FOR DAYZZZZZ (I mean… it’s me we’re talking about here!!! So DUH!) & OBVS.. extra-lean chicken breast!!!
I honestly wish I could put into words how beautiful this combination of flavours is. BUT, IT’S NOT EASY WHEN SOMETHING IS THIS DELISH – SOMETIMES, YOU JUST GOTTA TRY IT FOR YOURSELF. Do you feel me? Well, anyway, THIS IS ONE OF THOSE “SOMETIMES” SITCH’S & this baby is SOOOO SIMPLE & SO EASY TO WHISK UP, I don’t even know why you wouldn’t!
What I love about a marinade is that once you master her, you can use her on like… ANYTHING. I mean, I’m calling this a chicken marinade, but really, she would work great with fish or seafood too!!
ANOTHER AMAZING THING ABOUT A MARINADE IS THAT ALL YOU GOTTA DO IS WHISK, throw in your protein & SIT & LOOK PRETTY WHILE YOU WAIT FOR IT TO ABSORB ALL THE BEAUTIFUL FLAVOURS. It’s really wonderful how lazy a marinade allows you to be. Are we on the same page here?
Basically, marinades are VERSATILE + AN EXCUSE TO BE LAZY-AF. I’ll take it!!!!!!
Anywho munchkins, I hope you’ve already cubed/sliced your chicken, BECAUSE I’M ABOUT TO REVEAL ‘DEM INGREDIENTS!!!! Here we go!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- EXTRA-LEAN CHICKEN BREAST, CUBED or SLICED INTO STRIPS;
- 2 tbsp. of organic yellow mustard (Feel free to sub the yellow mustard for Dijon if you prefer!);
- 2 tbsp. of organic balsamic vinegar;
- ½ cup of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- ½ cup of pure organic maple syrup;
- 2 tbsp. of organic apple cider vinegar;
- 1 tsp. of dried minced garlic;
- 1 tsp. of onion powder;
- ¼ tsp. of chilli powder;
- 1 tsp. of dried parsley flakes;
- 1 tsp. of dried rosemary (If you don’t have rosemary, you can substitute it for dried basil, chives or thyme!);
- 1 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- ¼ tsp. of sea salt (You may find you need to add a bit more! As you all know, I’m more of a “sweets” than “salty” person so, I tend to put less salt in my recipes. TASTE & ADJUST, AS NECESSARY LOVIES!).
Now, now, I told you munchkins this was SIMPLE & EASY and, once again, I WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN. LET ME EXPLAIN!
- MUNCHKINS, all you gotta do is combine all these sweet & savoury ingredients in A SMALL (Yes, SMALL, for once!!!) metal mixing bowl & WHISK the eff out of ‘em until they are fully combined! KAY, BUT HOW EASY IS THIS? Basically, this chicken could be MARINATING in this BABE OF A SAUCE in like the next… 10 minutes, NOT EVEN!!! My million-dollar question is … WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
- Once your marinade is ready, add your chicken to the bowl & TOSSS THE EFF OUT OF HER to coat all your strips/cubes EVENLY!!! (Do not make ‘em jelly of one another, THEY ALL DESERVE AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF MARINADE, KAY? Thanks!).
- Cover, refrigerate & let your chicken sit in the marinade for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE (I’m talkin’ a few hours or even overnight!). BUT, DO NOT PANIC. If you’ve gotta whip up a quick recipe (like I had to today), you can simply let it marinate for about 30 minutes & it will still be DELISH! Just the right amount of time for your chicken to absorb all the yumminess!
- Before grilling the babes, take the bowl out of the refrigerator & let it sit for about 10 minutes! (STARE AT IT IN DISBELIEF AS YOU FANTASIZE ABOUT EATING A BEAUTIFUL CHICKEN SALAD FILLED WITH THESE BABIES & COATED IN MY CHERRY TOMATO DRESSING, ZOMFG. P.S. Those were today’s lunch goals & HOLY EFF!!!).
- When you are ready to cook these strips/cubes of wonderfulness, heat a grill pan (if you have one!) or a large skillet over MEDIUM HEAT. ONCE HEATED, add your chicken (and any leftover marinade) to the pan/skillet & cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side! (Cook it for 6-7 minutes on each side, if you prefer your chicken a little more well done!).
- Once cooked, transfer your chicken to a metal mixing bowl or glass container & allow it to cool off before refrigerating (BUT, NOBODY SAID YOU COULDN’T TASTE HER LIKE RIGHT AWAY. There is nothing like warm-AF grilled chicken that JUST GOT OFF THE GRILL. So go for it babies!!!! TASTE-TEST HER, DEVOUR HER! Do what you gotta do, AND IF, I DID SAY IF, there is anything leftover by the time she’s cooled off, REFRIGERATE in an airtight container! (But don’t be ashamed if you have nothing left. I AM NOT JUDGING YOU! I FEEL YA. TRUST ME! GRILLED CHICKEN IS JUST LIFE & LOVE & ZOMFG).
- IF THERE IS ANYTHING LEFT ONCE COOLED OFF, TOSSSSS SOME OF THE BEAUTZ CHICKEN INTO A BUDDHA BOWL, A SALAD, A WRAP OR SANDWICH or DEVOUR HER AS IS!!!! Yes, babes, she’s THAT good, she don’t even need an accompaniment!!
OH & FOOD PORN!! (A.k.a. TODAY’S LUNCH GOALS!
Protein & good-for-you-fats PACKED Chicken Breast, Spinach, Roasted Butternut Squash, Avocado & Loaded Fresh Herbs Salad smothered in my CHERRY TOMATO DRESSING!!!!