Hello, YET AGAIN, my loves! <3
IT’S FRIYAY! Woot, woot!!!! Cheers to the freakin’ weekend!!!!
Current sitch: 5:07am!!!!! Yes, I wake up really freaking early, BUT IT’S AN AMAZING FEELING. Try it once & you’ll never go back, SWEAR!
As always, I’m thinking two steps ahead (LAWLZ, I cannot help it, it’s who I am!). ANYWHO, I’m thinking about the weekend. And being curled up on the sofa with none other than MY REMOTE CONTROL, NETFLIX & BEST OF ALL, a bowl of warm, healthy, green-AF DELICIOUSNESS. Basically, I’m thinking about what I’ll be eating as I robotically press “next episode” during my Grey’s Anatomy NEVER-ENDING marathon. & HONESTLY, WHO DOESN’T LOVE A GOOD & GREEN-AF FREAKING SOUP? One that you can keep refilling your bowl with, COMPLETELY GUILT-FREE!!! LIKE… this soup is basically the answer to everything. OH, RIGHT. DID I NOT MENTION SHE’S DETOXIFYING AF ALSO?
As all you munchkins know, I am ALWAYS looking for new soup ideas (I mean, realistically, I’m always looking for NEW RECIPE IDEAS, in general!) & this GREEEN NOURISHING WONDERFULNESS CAME TO MIND… somewhere, somehow. I’m still beyond impressed with my creativity these days & yep, I’m bragging about it. Hope you still love moi 🙂 I mean, MY CREATIVITY IS BENEFICIAL TO YOU IN SOME WAY, RIGHT? If it weren’t for my creativity, where would all these beautiful recipes be? UHHH, STILL TUCKED AWAY IN THAT LITTLE HEAD OF MINE. SO, THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS THAT I AM THIS CREATIVE, OKAY?
SPEAKING OF CREATIVITY, do you munchkins want a little tease about what’s in this babe of a soup? Well… even if you answered no to that question, THE TEASE IS ABOUT TO START, SO LIKE… I GUESS CLOSE THE TAB or SKIP THROUGH IT. Or, SUCK IT UP & READ IT. YOU’LL BE TEASED-AF BUT, YOU’LL ALSO BE SO EXCITED TO TRY HER!!!
THINK: Garlicky sautéed white onion. Chopped celery. Carrots. Green cabbage. Broccoli. LOADS & LOADS OF FRESH MINT. SPICES FOREVER & EVER – I’m talkin’ cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried parsley flakes, sea salt & pepper!!!!
LADIES & GENTS, I present you with Kelly’s Clean-Eating Detoxifying-AF Cabbage, Broccoli & Mint Soup-ish Purée a.k.a. The-HEALTHIEST-Eat-As-Much-As-You-Want-“Everything-in-Your-Fridge”-Soup-Ever-Oh-&-SHE’S-A-SMOOTH-CREAMY-VELVET-MASTERPEICE!
IN A NUTSHELL, this babe is:
THICK & RICH!
Warming & COMFORTING!
FULL & I MEAN, FULL, OF VITAMINS!!!
DETOX. DETOX. DETOX. ‘NUFF SAID.
GUILT-FREE! I mean, that’s why she’s called the “All you can eat” soup!!! It’s kind of a tongue-in-cheek reference to the old fad diet (You know.. that cabbage soup diet!), but seriously, eat as much as you want. The more the better, really. It’s just a bunch of vegetables and I don’t think any of us are guilty of getting too many vegetables in our diet, right? Didn’t think so. And guess what?
This cabbage soup is insanely inexpensive, too! So eat up! ERGO, THE REFERENCE TO “EVERYTHING IN YOUR FRIDGE“. Basically, if you’ve got leftover cauliflower, instead of leftover broccoli, THAT WILL WORK TOO & if you munchkins have purple cabbage over green, OPT FOR ‘DAT PURPLE! & if you ain’t got celery or carrots, but you’ve got endives, parsnip, daikon, or zucchini, THROW THEM IN INSTEAD!!!!
I MEAN, IF AT THIS POINT YOU AIN’T CONVINCED, I DON’T KNOW WHAT WILL DO THE TRICK. Maybe my testimony to the SMELL THIS BABE BROUGHT TO MY KITCH. Like… once again, TAKEN TO ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL PLACE. ONE THAT BRIGHTENED MY LIFE. I SAW STARS. UNICORNS. YA KNOW?
RIGHT. BTW, the awesome thing about MAKING A SOUP is that you don’t need to worry ONE BIT about the aesthetics of the veggies (a.k.a. YOU CAN CHOP THEM ROUGHLY & WHO THE EFF CARES!!!) BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE BLENDED-AF. Basically, you can use like EVERY PART OF THE VEGGIE & NOTHING GOES TO WASTE. Not to mention, you don’t need to spend like an hour chopping your veggies away into perfect little chunks/cubes/slices/dices!!!! #WINNING
MY LOVES, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 tbsp. of vegan butter (or regular butter, if you prefer!);
- 1 medium onion, PEELED & ROUGHLY CHOPPED;
- 2 celery stalks, ROUGHLY CHOPPED;
- 1 large carrot, PEELED & ROUGHLY CHOPPED;
- ½ a medium green (or purple) cabbage, WASHED & CHOPPED;
- 300g of broccoli, STEMS CHOPPED;
- 1 cup of fresh mint, ROUGHLY CHOPPED;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- ½ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- 1 tsp. of dried parsley flakes;
- YES, SPICES FOR DAYS. ALWAYS!!!
- ¼ – ½ tsp. (or more, adjust if necessary!) of organic Himalayan pink sea salt;
- 800ml of water, vegetable or chicken broth! TOTALLY UP TO YOU, MY LOVES. The essential thing is that we get some liquid in there to make blending easier, BUT ALSO KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOU USE VEG/CHICKEN BROTH, YOU’RE GIVING YOUR SOUP MORE FLAVA! THEN AGAIN… with Kelly in the Kitch, you can always rely on SPICES TO BRING BEAUTIFUL FLAVOURS TO YOUR MEALS, so don’t panic if you decide to go with the water! I think the spices speak for themselves, ya feel me?
Ok, so now that I’ve revealed all these beautiful ingredients, YOU’RE GETTING IMPATIENT. ALL YOU WANT TO KNOW IS HOW TO WHIP THIS BABE UP. OKAY, FINE!!! LET ME EXPLAIN.
- Heat your butter in a LARGE-AF heavy bottomed saucepan;
- Once heated, add your onions to the saucepan & sauté and cook the babes for a few minutes!
- Once your onion begins to brown & the kitch starts acquiring a beautiful, savoury, onion-y smell, throw in your celery & carrots & cook these babes for a few minutes!
- NOW, ADD THAT CABBAGE!!! Cook this wonderfulness, STIRRING OFTEN, as you watch it wilt down!
- Once the cabbage looks PRETTY DAMN WILTED, add the chopped broccoli, stirring it in with the other veggies & continue cooooooking this pot of wonderfulness for a few more minutes!
- NOW, ADD YOUR WATER / VEG OR CHICKEN BROTH & bring it to a boil! Pour carefully my loves, you don’t want it splattering all ova’ ‘da place now, do you?!?! Once poured, add the mint, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, smoked paprika, dried parsley flakes & sea salt & STIR ALL THIS BEAUTIFULNESS TOGETHER TO COMBINE. Make sure all your veggies are evenly coated in ‘dem spices!
- Once boiled, TURN DOWN THE HEAT & SIMMER THIS BEAUTY FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES UNTIL ALL YOUR VEGGIES ARE SOFT-AF. PLEASE Keep in mind, they need to go through a blender. And, we have all been there done that; I’m talking those situations where whatever you put in your blender DID NOT BLEND FULLY because it was just too much for your babe of a blender to handle. SHE’S FRAGILE, OKAY? SHE HAS A FRAGILE HEART & NEEDS TO BE TAKEN CARE OF. SO PLEASE, MAKE SURE YOUR VEGGIES ARE SOFT ENOUGH FOR ‘DAT BLADE!
- Once your veggies are soft, remove the saucepan from the heat & allow to cool for about 4-5 minutes!
- ONCE COOOOOOLED-AF, transfer your soup to a blender & BLEND THE EFF OUT OF IT, UNTIL DESIRED SOUP CONSISTENCY IS OBTAINED (I’m sure you munchkins already figured it out based on the title of this baby, but just reminding you that this is not a SUPER-DUPER THIN SOUP. Rather, it is a THICK-AF soup that feels almost like a puree, BUT STILL FEELS LIKE A SOUP (Best of both worlds? Two birds, one stone? YES. YES. YA DIG?).
- DEVOUR & SLURP AWAY THIS VEGETABLE-Y YUMMINESS!!!!!!!! GUILT-FREE DEVOURING FTW!
P.S. I don’t think I need to tell you munchkins, BUT I WILL ANYWAY. Store this beauty in an airtight container (I love using mason jars for my soups!) & refrigerate!!!
OHHHH & consider serving THE BABE with some crusty bread (garlic or not) to soak up that delicious broth.
ENJOY MY LOVES!!! <3