Hi babies! <3 <3
Happy FRIYAY afternoon!!!! CURRENT SITCH IN MY KITCH (well rather, the sitch this morning at like 5:30AM, WADDUP?): Gluten-Free (& Possibly Vegan) Fudgy-AF Healthy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies!!!!!
In a nutshell, these babes:
Have an irresistible textured OOEY-GOOEY SOFT & CHEWY brownie centre WITH A CRUNCH OF COOKIE ON THE OUTSIDE!
They’re rich & decadent, BUT YOU’D BE SO MISTAKEN for thinking these babies are super fattening or loaded with calories. In fact, THEY ARE ANYTHING BUT!!!! Basically, they are a brownie in cookie form, LIGHTENED UP. Do you love me? How much?
IF YOU DID NOT CATCH MY DRIFT, what I meant to say is that these babes are rich & decadent, all while being SUPER LEAN, CLEAN & HEALTHY!!!!
In a world where we want to EAT WHATEVER WE WANT, but WE CAN’T BECAUSE “HELLO FAT PANTS”, these cookies are here to be your saviour (THEY ARE YOUR SUPERMAN!). No joke.
ALSOOOOO, this recipe is super-duper simple to make!!
AND THE BEST PART IS THAT YOU CAN DEVOUR THESE MUNCHKINS AS SOON AS THEY ARE READY, WITHOUT FEELING ANY GUILT AFTERWARDS, well… hardly any guilt! You know what I mean! They are still cookies after all.
I’ve been hanging to share these with you for so long, my loves, especially since these are a classic that I used to bake with my mom ALL THE TIME (not to mention, I’d lick the mixing bowl clean, but that’s a whole other ball game!). ANYWHO, these cookies give me all the feels & I simply cannot wait for you babes to try ‘em!
Ladies & gents, these are my Guilt-Free Gluten-Free & (Possibly Vegan) Fudgy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies a.k.a. Ooey-Gooey Soft-&-Chewy-Brownie-In-Cookie-Form-Lightened-Up-Oh-&-That-Perfect-Crunch-On-The-Outside!
I will warn you munchkins that the ONLY DOWNSIDE to these babies is that after you whip up the batter, she MUST sit in the fridge to cool for AT LEAST 4 HOURS. This is CRUCIAL. But, it’s also a very, very, very difficult task for most people, MYSELF INCLUDED. It’s like you whip up this beautiful chocolatey-AF batter that you simply cannot wait to bake & then… just like that, SHE NEEDS TO SIT IN THE FRIDGE WHILE YOU FANTASIZE ABOUT HER ALL DAY. I KNOW, NOT FAIR. But, it’s worth it in the end – THIS MAKES FOR THE ABSOLUTE-MOST-INCREDIBLE-PERFECTLY-PERFECT-COOKIES.
BTW munchkins, if you’d like to:
- Make your babies extra chocolate-y:
- you’re welcome to dip them in a mixture of powdered sugar and cocoa powder (use a 1:1 ratio of each) OR
- you can also mix in an extra cup of semisweet chocolate chips to the dough before rolling it up.
- if you really want to go CRAY-CRAY, you could add in some peanut butter chips and make just about every chocolate-PB-dessert-lover’s dreams come true.
With all of the above in mind, I THINK IT’S SAFE TO SAY THAT THESE BABES ARE A CLASSIC FOR A REASON (WELL RATHER, FOR MANY DIFFERENT REASONS!!!).
Ok, before I tell you about ingredient alternatives, it might be smart of me to actually tell you WHAT YOU NEED & HOW ON EARTH TO WHIP THESE BABES UP, YA FEEL ME? KAY GOOD, HERE WE GO!!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- ½ cup of organic unsweetened fair-trade cocoa powder;
- 1 cup of white granulated sugar (SORRY, NOT SORRY!!!!);
- ¼ cup of unsweetened organic apple sauce;
- 2 eggs (TO MAKE THIS RECIPE VEGAN, simply substitute your eggs for Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer or another brand of egg replacer – they are sold at most organic & natural health food stores!);
- 1 ½ tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- 1 cup of all-purpose GLUTEN-FREE flour (You can OBVS. use non gluten-free flour, obviously, if it’s not a concern for you munchkins!);
- 1 tsp. of organic non-GMO baking powder;
- ½ tsp. of organic Himalayan pink sea salt;
- ¼ cup of confectioner’s sugar or icing sugar (for coating THE BABES!).
I told you babies they were: Clean! Healthy! Lean! I MEAN, LOOK AT THESE INGREDIENTS. I wasn’t lying!!!!
OH & BTW, in case all of the above WAS NOT ENOUGH, did I mention that these babies contain a whoppppping 3 grams of protein & 2g of fibre per cookie & LEZ BE HONEST, you are not eating just one, so like… WINNING? YES. YES. YOU ARE WINNING. You have my offish confirmation. THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH. Okay?
NOW THAT YOU ARE MOST DEFINITELY CONVINCED, let’s talk about how to whip these babies up!!!! You ready? Here we go!!
- In a MEDIUM MIXING BOWL, mix together the cocoa powder, white sugar and applesauce. Beat in the eggs ONE AT A TIME, BABIES, until fully incorporated. Then…. MIX IN YOUR VANILLLLLA WONDERFULNESS!
- In a SEPARATE BOWL (SORRY, NOT SORRY!), combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture just until a dough forms (do not over beat). MUNCHKINS, the sight of this batter… I can’t even. Like, you will know when it has reached perfectly-perfect batter texture because you will simply not be able to resist. I am not even kidding. Like… OKAY I’M CONFESSING. I LICKED THE BOWL. A FEW TIMES. WHATEVZ. PLEASE DON’T JUDGE ME.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and REFRIGERATE FOR AT LEAST FOUR HOURS OR OVERNIGHT (Babies, unfortunately, you are going to have to wait for these munchkins, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY WHEN IT COMES TO FINDING YOUR “ONE”, SOMETIMES IT’S WORTH THE WAIT! WELL, the same applies for these cookies, OKAY?). And either way, the chilling process is SUPER-DUPER-UBER NECESSARY for this recipe, lovies, so you don’t really have a choice. WEH! I know… but trust me, WORTH THE WAIT. Just keep telling yourselves that, okay?
- When ready to BAKE, preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets or baking trays with parchment paper. Roll 1 tablespoonful of dough into balls for smaller cookies, or 2 tablespoonfuls for larger cookies (This is up to you munchkins! TBH, I prefer medium-sized cookies. LET ME EXPLAIN WHY. Basically, if I’m freaking starving when I am ready to devour these, eating two medium-sized ones feels BETTER than eating two huge ones, BUT EATING TWO SMALL-TINY-LITTLE-BABIES is not enough, SO, I FOUND MY HAPPY MEDIUM (NO PUN INTENDED, LAWLZ) & whenever I bake, I bake my cookies MEDIUM-SIZED. Do what works for you munchkins! ALSO, I would never be able to resist & eat JUST ONE LARGE COOKIE. So, if I made ‘em LARGE, I’d end up eating two or three LARGE COOKIES in one sitting. I mean… who’s really counting, but YOU CATCH MY DRIFT, right? Gotta save room in ‘dat tummy for some other good stuff!!).
- Add the confectioners (icing) sugar to a smaller bowl. Generously and evenly coat each ball of dough in confectioners’ sugar and place onto prepared cookie sheets (OKAY, this sight is pretty damn pretty if you ask me, whatcha think?)
- BAKE THE BABIES in preheated oven for 10 minutes (for small cookies) or 12 minutes (for larger cookies) & SOMETHING IN BETWEEN, A.K.A. 11-12 MINUTES FOR ‘DEM MEDIUM-SIZED ONES! The cookies will come out soft from the oven but will harden up as they cool. SO DON’T PUT THEM BACK IN ‘DA OVEN. DO NOT BE FOOLED. OKAY?
- Allow the munchkins to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool (Once again, THIS STEP IS FREAKING USELESS-AF, BUT IT’S PART OF MY RECIPE, SO WHATEVZ, I SHARE IT. But honestly, I just want to reassure you munchkins that if you do not get here, it’s okay. Nobody is judging you. Even if they don’t admit it, WE ARE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT!).
- IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY, TURN YOURSELF INTO THE COOKIE MONSTER & DEVOUR!!!!!
OH, & FOOD PORN!!!!!
Bon appétit babies!!! Xoxo!!!