Hello again babies! <3 <3
Back again, for the third time today! Can you tell I love you munchkins? I HOPE SO!!!!
RN, I’m back with my DINNER GOALS. This babe is NOTHING & EVERYTHING. What do I mean? Okay, well basically, she’s my “EVERYTHING-IN-YOUR-FRIDGE-DINNER-BOWL!”! IN OTHER WORDS, SHE IS BORN FROM NADA & BECOMES EVERYTHING. Let me explain.
KAY, so you know those weeks when:
- You MEAL PREP A LIL’ TOO MUCH?
- GROCERY SHOP A LIL’ TOO MUCH (because you went to the store while you were famished!!!!)?
- OR SIMPLY JUST DON’T EAT ENOUGH (& have WAY TOO MANY leftovers in your fridge)?
You munchkins HAVE TO BE FAMILIAR with AT LEAST one of the three sitchs I just described AND WELL, IF YOU AREN’T, MAKE THIS BABY ANYWAYS!!! Anywho, this babe is the answer to all three of those annoying sitchs & she SURE AS EFF will MAKE ALL YOUR DINNER-BOWL DREAMS COME TRUE. IT’S CRAY-CRAY TO SAY THAT because she’s essentially made from leftovers, right? BUT, you know what they say… ONE MAN’S TRASH IS ANOTHER MAN’S TREASURE, ergo my statement that this babe is BORN FROM NADA & BECOMES EVERYTHING.
My loves, I don’t even know where to begin with this one… I’ll start with an ingredients tease & we shall see where that takes us… THINK: White rice. Chopped-AF spinach. Garlicky-AF ground turkey. Juicy, yet crisp cherry tomatoes. Roasted sweet potatoes (followed my BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPE & BAM!). Red kidney beans & THE MAIN EVENT… WAIT FOR IT… DRUMROLL PLEASE… A PERFECTLY-PERFECT BOILED EGGGGGGGG! The egg is EVERYTHING, my babies. I’m telling you. WOAH. WOAH. WOAH. Cannot breathe.
Oh & if all of this wasn’t enough to have you munchkins DROOLING, AT THE EDGE OF YOUR SEATS & THEN FINALLY, MUSTERING UP THE COURAGE TO GET UP, STOP BEING LAZY & WHIP UP THE INGREDIENTS FOR THIS BABY, what if I told you that the light vinaigrette I whipped up & tossed her in IS FREAKING DELISH? Would that make you get off your butt? PLEASE SAY YES (I AM GETTING DESPERATE HERE & RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS!!).
Oh. Oh. Oh!!!! AND IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING HOW THIS BABY RINGS IN NUTRITIONALLY… I will scream it to the world because it’s just fantastically-fantastic & I’m in TOTAL AWE AT MY CREATIONS. ANYWAY, rant over (KIDDING). No, but seriously, I’m talking:
29 GRAMS OF PROTEIN!
21 GRAMS OF FIBRE!
ONLY 5G OF SUGAR (ALL OF WHICH ARE UNREFINED & COME FROM THE SWEET POTATO & CHERRY TOMATOES)!
JAM-PACKED WITH VITAMINS A, C & IRON FOR DAYS!
FULL OF GOOD-FOR-YOU FATS!
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s Healthy-AF “Everything-In-Your-Fridge” Protein-Packed Dinner Bowl a.k.a. The-Epitome-of-One-Man’s-Trash-is-Another-Man’s-Treasure!!!!
Okay, now if all of this STILL IS NOT ENOUGH TO GET YOU UP, you are by far the LAZIEST PERSON ON EARTH. Bye! No, but really, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. I’m sure you’re already up at this point. Like, c’mon!!!!
Now that you know all about what’s in this baby & have been tempted BEYOND WORDS, how she rings in nutritionally & why she’s the perf solution to all your leftovers/too much groceries/did not eat enough all week PROBLEMS, LET’S TALK NITTY-GRITTY. LET’S TALK INGREDIENTS. YOU READY? YA DIG? Here goes!!!!
P.S. Munchkins, these ingredients quantities will give you enough for two large bowls! SOOO… if you’ve got more peeps to serve OR ARE SIMPLY STARVING-AF & DO NOT LIKE TO SHARE, DOUBLE, TRIPLE, QUADRULE, CINQTUPLE YOUR PROPORTIONS. You know the drill, right?
OKAY, now here we go, FO’ REAL:
FOR THE BOWL:
- 2 cups of white (or brown) rice, COOKED according to package directions;
- 300g of sweet potatoes, CUBED & ROASTED (RECIPE HERE – I followed the same recipe as I use for my Roasted Butternut Squash & well… WOAH. WE ALL KNOW HOW DELISH SHE IS, RIGHT?);
- 240g of spinach, CHOPPED-AF;
- 220g of cherry tomatoes, HALVED;
- 275g of ground turkey
- 3 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 2 tbsp. of organic extra virgin olive oil;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- ½ tsp. of onion powder;
- ¼ tsp. of ground cumin;
- ½ tsp. of organic Himalayan pink sea salt;
- ¼ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- 1 15-oz. can of organic & reduced sodium kidney beans, RINSED & DRAINED (My loves, feel free to let your imaginations run wild with this part!!! If you wish to use any other type of bean, GO FOR IT. The possibilities are LEGIT ENDLESS: try it with black beans, chick peas, navy, cannellini, white kidney, great northern beans… seriously, I could go on for freaking days!!!!! Basically, what I’m trying to say is, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE KIDNEY BEANS, DO NOT PANIC!!!);
- ½ cup of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- ½ cup of fresh basil, CHOPPED;
- 2-3 PERFECTLY BOILED EGGS (No worries, if you munchkins don’t know how to perfectly boil an egg, I’VE GOT YOU COVERED. WE’LL TALK ABOUT THAT SOON!);
- Freshly ground black pepper for garnish;
- OPTIONAL: Parm/Romano or nutritional yeast.
FOR THE SAUCE:
- ¼ cup of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- ¼ cup of organic red wine vinegar;
- 1 tsp. of granulated sugar;
- 1 tbsp. of Dijon mustard;
- 1 tbsp. of Vegan mayo;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 tsp. of minced onion;
- ½ tsp. of smoked paprika;
- ¼ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt for seasoning!
IT DON’T GET CLEANER. IT DON’T GET HEALTHIER. IT DON’T GET BETTER. Tell me you agree, PLEASE!!!!!
Okay munchkins, now that you’ve laid all the ingredients out on your PERFECTLY-CLEAN COUNTER (LAWLZ, who the eff are we kidding? My counter is a freaking disaster zone when I cook, YOU?). ANYWHO, DISASTER ZONE OR NOT, IT’S TIME FOR ME TO TELL YOU MUNCHKINS HOW TO WHIP THIS BABE OF A BOWL UP. You ready for ‘dis? I hope so ‘cause I’m starting STAT (a.k.a. I clearly do not care if you’re ready or not. OOPS, sorry not sorry!).
- Cook your rice according to package directions! Once cooked, set aside in a metal mixing bowl to cool off!
- IF IT’S NOT ALREADY DONE SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEK (You know how I feel about prepping some roasted sweet potato or butternut squash or BOTH at the beginning of every week, right? IT’S LIFE. I DO IT ALL ‘DA TIME. YOU SHOULD TOO), roast your sweet potatoes according to my Roasted Butternut Squash recipe (CLICK HERE!!!). Once these babes are baked, set them aside to cool off before adding them to your bowl!!
- In a small bowl, WHISK TOGETHER ALL THE BEAUTZ SAUCE INGREDIENTS! Whisking constantly, add the oil in a slow, steady stream & continue whisking the eff out of this babe until the perfect sauce consistency is obtained (YOU BE THE JUDGE, LOVIES! I CAN’T BE LIKE STANDING OVER YOU ALL THE TIME… ya know?)
- While your sweet potatoes are ROASTING-AF, add your spinach, cherry tomatoes, kidney beans, cilantro & basil to a LARGE metal mixing bowl! Set aside. (YES, I know, I’m making you use lots of bowls & there’s lots of setting aside & stuff to do, BUT PLEASE, TRUST ME WHEN I SAY IT WILL BE WORTH IT. I WOULDN’T MAKE YOU MUNCHKINS DO IT IF IT WEREN’T. LOVE YOU TOO MUCH!).
- NOW, while the babes are STILL roasting, prepare your ground turkey! Heat the 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a medium skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT! Once heated, add the garlic cloves & sauté these babies until FRAGRANT (SYNONYM? GARLIC HEAVEN, BYE!).
- Once the garlic is fragrant & browned-AF, lower your heat to MEDIUM, add in your ground turkey & break it apart as it cooks. SPRINKLE THE BEAUTIFUL TURKEY MEAT with all ‘dem spices. I’m talking the garlic, onion, cumin, sea salt & pepper!! Stir to combine all these beautiful spices with the turkey & MAKE SURE ALL YOUR LITTLE TURKEY CHUNKS ARE EVENLY COATED (They’re too freaking cute to be jelly of each other!!!) Cook the turkey until it is no longer pink & begins to brown! Once cooked, remove from heat & … set aside!!!!
- KAY, now for the best part of this recipe… you know exactly what I am talking about… NO, NOT ALL OF THE ABOVE (although all of the above is pretty freaking awesome if you ask me), BUT RATHER… ‘DAT EGG. ‘DAT EGG & HER YOLKS. WOAH. Munchkins, life is all about MASTERING THE ART OF COOKING ‘DA PERFECT EGG & I am proud to say MY LIFE MISSION HAS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED. I am legit a pro at boiling eggs. No joke. It’s like a known thing… & yep, I will scream it to the world & yep, I am bragging again!!! BASICALLY, all you gotta do is:
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, LOWER YOUR HEAT TO MEDIUM, (carefully) add your eggs to the boiling water & SET YOUR TIMERS FOR 7 MINUTES.
- Once the timer beeps, RUN TO THE STOVE. LIKE SPRINT. RUN A MARATHON. DO WHATEVER YOU GOTTA DO TO MAKE IT THERE IN TIME & REMOVE THE EGGS FROM THE HEAT STAT. A minute of boiling time can make all the difference & I’m talking, A BAD DIFFERENCE. So, listen to me. Wait in front of your stove. Countdown to seven minutes (in heaven?) & REMOVE THE EGGS AFTER ‘DAT FIRST BEEP. GOT ME?
- Now, don’t just remove ‘dem from the heat, BUT ONCE YOU DO SO, place the eggs under COLD-AF RUNNING WATER (to stop the cooking process) for about 1-2 minutes! Munchkins, you have no idea how CRUCIAL this step is in the cooking process of your perfectly-perfect boiled egg. When you cut her open, you will thank your lucky stars that you met me & that you now know the trick to boiling the BEST. EGGS. EVER. You don’t need to show me your gratitude. I know it’s there. BUT, BUT, BUT, if you want to make me feel super-duper special, you can show it from time to time, OKAY?
- P.S. WAIT A FEW MORE MINUTES BEFORE CUTTING YOUR EGGS OPEN! Let them cool!
- OK BABIES, IT’S THAT TIME. TIME TO BRING ALL THIS BEAUTIFUL-WONDERFULNESS TOGETHER. ARE YOU READY? PLEASE SAY YES! Oh well, even if you aren’t. IT’S ABOUT TO GO DOWN, STAT. NOW. PRONTO. RN. Add your cooked rice, sweet potato & ground turkey to your veggie & bean mixture. STIR FEROCIOUSLY (No, not actually), BUT, STIR WELL TO COMBINE ALL THESE BEAUTIFUL INGREDIENTS! ONCE COMBINED, transfer this beautifulness to A PRETTY BOWL (OBVS!! – HAVE YOU MET ME, THOUGH?) & TOP HER WITH YOUR PERFECTLY BOILED (& HALVED) EGGS!
Ok, admit it, right now she looks gorg… BUT, IT WON’T BE FOR LONG, BECAUSE NOW YOU HAVE TO DRENCH HER & MIX THE EFF OUT OF HER. DRENCH HER IN WHAT, YOU ASK? The sauce!!!!!!! OBVS.
- Pour the beautiful sauce all over your DINNA-BOWL & MIX LIKE HELL TO COMBINE & COAT ALL YOUR INGREDIENTS EVENLY! Drizzle the beauty with some freshly ground black pepper & if adding, sprinkle some Parm/Romano or nutritional yeast & DEVOUR!!!!!!!
OH & FOOD PORN!!!!!
ENJOY BABIES!!! <3 <3 XOXO!