Rise & shine, babies!!! <3 <3
Happy Thursday! <3 OKAY, NOW NOT ONLY CAN I SMELL THE WEEKEND, BUT I CAN TASTE IT. WOAH. Need I remind you that tomorrow is FRIYAY? Thursday mood: PERFECTION. You?
If not, HERE IS SOMETHING TO NOT ONLY PERFECT YOUR MOOD, BUT TAKE IT TO LEVELS IT’S NEVER SEEN BEFORE. I’m talkin’ about my HOMEMADE CLEAN-EATING HUMMMMMMUS that will have you MUNCHING, MUNCHING, MUNCHING & THEN CRYING BECAUSE THE BOTTOM OF THE BAG OF PITA CHIPS HAS BEEN REACHED & WELL, you only bought one. Wow, how could you underestimate yourself that badly? Did you not know that when you whip up a Kelly in the Kitch recipe, you should ALWAYS have back-up ingredients? KAY, now you know. LESSON LEARNED. It’s true what they say right? You learn something new everyday. THAT WAS YOUR LESSON FOR TODAY.
OKAY, but now on a more serious note, LET’S TALK HUMMUS. HUMMUS IS NOT TO BE JOKED ABOUT, EVER. Hummus is serious freaking business. & being J (Jewish) & all, YOU CAN REST ASSURED THAT YOU ARE WHIPPING UP A RECIPE FROM QUITE A TRUSTY SOURCE. I mean, I think I know what I’m doing, but you babies will be the judge. LET ME KNOW. I want feedback, okay?
The beauty of making hummus HOMEMADE is that you can legit play around with the recipe to suit your own needs! Basically:
- if you LOVE lemony-citrus flavours, ADD SOME ‘MO;
- If you’re into garlic breath, THROW IN AN EXTRA CLOVE OR TWO!
- & IF YOU LOVE SALTY STUFF (a.k.a. you have no sweet tooth whatsoever, OR YOU HAVE THEM BOTH – embrace it!!!), add some ‘mo salt, BUT DO SO GRADUALLY. We don’t want any overdosing sitchs here now, DO WE?
Basically, all this to say, you can taste test & adapt for your own NEEDS & PREFERENCES.
NOW. Let’s talk a little bit about what’s in this baby… I LOVE TO TEASE YOU, but at least you know that we are getting closer & closer to the recipe as the paragraphs unfold… it’s just that I REALLY DO LOVE TO RANT, so it might take a few more minutes, is that okay? WELL, TOO BAD. EVEN IF IT’S NOT, STARTING NOW!
THINK: Organic chick peas. Sea salt. GARLIC FOR DAYZ. TAHINIIIIIIIIIIII. Lemon juice. Dried red pepper chilli flakes. Garlic powder. SMOKED PAPRIKA, DUH!!!!!! Olive oil. OH & MORE OLIVE OIL & PAPRIKA. BYE! Don’t lie to me & tell me you aren’t drooling. I KNOW YOU ARE. COME ON, JUST BE OPEN ABOUT IT!!!!
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s Clean-Eating Homemade Hummus That Changed Everything a.k.a. Back-To-My-Roots-&-Just-Brought-My-Tummy-to-the-Happiest-Place-on-Earth-Oh-&-Where-Did-All-The-Pita-Chips-Go?
NOW, NOT ONLY ARE THE INGREDIENTS FREAKING CLEAN-AF & DELISH, but this baby is also SOOOO QUICK & EASY TO MAKE. IT LEGIT TAKES 5 MINUTES before you are stuffing your face in HUMMUS GLORY!!
OKAY, IT’S THAT TIME. WHAT TIME?
TIME TO GET OUR HUMMUS ON!!!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 19-oz. can of organic (& reduced-sodium) chick peas, RINSED & DRAINED, LIQUID RESERVED (I know, it looks kinda NASTY, BUT WHATEVZ. YOU NEED IT, OKAY?) & SET ASIDE;
- 1 tsp. of organic Himalayan pink sea salt;
- 2-3 garlic cloves, MINCED;
- 1/3 cup of organic fair-trade tahini;
- 7-8 tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice (You can use the bottled one if you don’t have lemons on hand, BUT, ARE YOU NOT LISTENING TO ME? ARE YOU NOT DOING YOUR DAILY LEMON WATER? GAH. I’M PISSED AT YOU. Bye!);
- 2 tbsp. of reserved chickpea liquid (OR, if you accidentally DID NOT LISTEN TO ME & discarded the liquid, you can simply use two tbsp. of water, BUT NEXT TIME, LISTEN!!!!);
- ¼ tsp. of dried red pepper chilli flakes;
- ¼ tsp. of garlic powder;
- ¼ tsp. of smoked paprika (or regular paprika, if you ain’t into the whole smoked thing… but I mean… SMOKED OVER EVERYTHING!!!);
- 4 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- Olive oil & smoked paprika for garnish!
KAY, WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE HOW SIMPLE THIS IS THOUGH. LET’S WHIP HER UP!!!!
- Munchkins, simply place ALL YOUR BEAUTZ INGREDIENTS into a food processor & process until the hummus is COARSELY PUREED (I don’t think I need to explain to you munchkins what a puree is supposed to look like, but just in case, I OBVS. TOOK SOME PICS!!! When do I not, right?).
- Once the hummus is pureed & LOOKS READY-AF TO BE DEVOURED, don’t devour it JUST YET (If you can resist). FIRST, YOU MUST TASTE-TEST IT. Obviously, the salt preference of hummus varies a lot from person to person (ARE YOU LIKE IN LOVE WITH SALT OR DO YOU JUST ADD IT TO RECIPES BECAUSE IT SAYS TO BUT YOU DON’T EVEN TASTE THE DIFFERENCE? I’m person #2, but like I said, it really depends!). ALL THIS TO SAY, adjust seasoning to your needs! You can also add more chilli flakes if you want to spice it up even more!
- If you do end up adding more seasoning of any kind, process your hummus again for a few seconds to ensure that EVERYTHING IS COMBINED-AF.
- NOW, once the BABE is ready, you can either SPOOOOON IT OUT OF THE FOOD PROCESSOR & DEVOUR (a.k.a. what I did & do & always will do #noshame) OR using a wooden spoon/rubber spatula, pour the (leftovers) into an airtight container or mason jar & DRIZZZZZZLE THE BABE WITH SOME ‘MO OLIVE OIL & GARNISH WITH SMOKED PAPRIKA!
P.S. This will give you about 2ish cups of hummus & can last about 4-5 days in the fridge… BUT, LET’S BE HONEST, THE BABE IS NEVER EVEN ENTERING YOUR FRIDGE, RIGHT? I know. Mine never does either. Like…
TAKE OUT ‘DEM PITA CHIPS & THIS DREAM COME TRUE & IT’S OVER. IT’S JUST FREAKING OVER, NOT TO MENTION, YOUR TUMMY IS IN LIKE THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH RN.
OH, & if dipping THE BABES (OOPS, I MEAN THE PITA CHIPS) IN THIS BEAUTY OF HOMEMADE HUMMUS WASN’T NOUEHG, here’s some FOOOOOOD PORN:
ENJOY MY LOVES!!! <3 <3