Hi my loves!!! <3 <3
Back again, NOW, WITH TONIGHT’S DINNER GOALS!
As you munchkins could probably tell (from my Insta & Snap feed), I spent the MAJORITY of my day in the KITCH doing a bunch of meal prep for all the stuff I was running out of!!! (AND AM OBSESSED WITH!) Ya know… being Miss Piggy & all, stuff tends to run out pretty freaking quickly around here. ANYWHO, you can imagine that after a day of slaving away (BUT LOVING IT, PARTYING & HAVING A BLAST DOING SO) in the kitch…
I AM OFFISH TIRED!!!!
BUT, BUT, BUT, being in recovery, I HAVE A MEAL PLAN TO RESPECT (not to mention, MEAL TIMES FOR DAYS) & so, EVEN IF I AM TIRED, I HAD TO GET UP & WHIP UP SOMETHING NUTRITIOUS (& BEAUTIFUL) FOR DINS. MOTIVATION 101, right? I have you by the “you know what’, ANOREXIA!!!! Muahahaha, me so evil!!! YOU MAD BRO?
And so, I mustered up the courage & THIS BABE WAS CREATED! Now, I know she’s really simple & NOT AS PRETTY AS USUAL. BUT, I can guarantee that the FLAVOUR IS THERE MY LOVES! As always, I promise to never disappoint you (& plus, if anything, this gives you munchkins a quick & supa easy dinner option for when you need it!!!! OR ARE SIMPLY TOO TIRED/LAZY TO SPEND THE NIGHT IN THE KITCH A.K.A. ME TONIGHT!).
ANYWHO, let’s get back to discussing this BEAUTY. Ya dig? THINK: Spaghetti with Caramelized Garlicky Onions & Mushrooms & Organic Chick Peas in a Greek Yogurt & Maple Syrup Sauce topped with Fresh-AF Chopped Cilantro!!!!
LADIES & GENTS, I present you with my Gluten-Free Spaghetti with Caramelized-AF Garlicky Onions & Mushrooms Tossed in a Greek Yogurt & Maple Syrup Sauce a.k.a. When-You-Realize-She’s-Actually-Not-That-Bad-For-a-Quickie-Oh-&-Creamy-Smooth-Deliciousness-Always!
Honestly, once I plated this baby, I realized that she’s actually NOT THAT BAD for a quickie!!! I mean, check her out. From head to toe. She may be worth another shot, right? (& by “shot”, I totally mean ANOTHER NIGHT). I hope you feel me & catch my drift here ‘cause like I don’t wanna get inappropriate or anything… READ BETWEEN ‘DEM LINES BABIES!
SO WHAT MAKES HER SO FREAKING AMAZING, YOU ASK? Let me explain!!!
LITERALLY whipped her up in 30 minutes. NOT EVEN!!
SHE PACKS A WHOPPING 28 GRAMS OF PROTEIN (GREEK YOGURT, ALWAYS!!!!)
22 GRAMS OF FIBRE!!!
SHE IS CREAMY, SMOOTH & RICH, ALL WHILE BEING SUPER-DUPER LIGHT (BASICALLY, she won’t make you feel like you just ate a plate of KD, although… sometimes, KD IS A GOOD THING. Keyword? SOMETIMES).
SHE’S FILLED WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS & MUSHROOMS… I MEAN… need I say more?
SHE’S CLEAN, LEAN & UBER HEALTHY!
CHICK PEAS!!!! (DID YOU MUNCHKINS KNOW HOW GOOD FOR YOU THESE BABES ARE? I’m sorry. I must pause & tell you babies a little thing or two about ‘em. I can’t not!!! Okay? NUTRITION-101 WITH KELLY IN THE KITCH. YA DIG?
- HIGH-AF IN FIBRE, therefore, super duper good for your digestion, for regulating blood glucose, blood sugar, lipid & insulin levels & for heart health! In fact, the babes can actually help lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood, thereby decreasing the risk of heart disease!
- The iron, phosphate, calcium, manganese, zinc, magnesium & vitamin K in these munchkins ALL contribute to building & maintaining bone structure & strength!
- Jam-packed with potassium, vitamins C & B-6 (all of which also SUPPORT HEART HEALTH!)
- THESE BEAUTIES ALSO CONTAIN SELENIUM (which is a mineral that is not present in most fruits & veggies) & plays a role in liver enzyme function that… WAIT FOR IT… HELPS DETOXIFY SOME CANCER-CAUSING COMPOUNDS IN THE BOD. It also prevents inflammation! The folate, saponin & vitamin C (antioxidant) all also contribute to lower risk of cancer!
- The manganese content in these babies actually acts like NATURAL SUNSCREEN. Basically, one cup of chickpeas contains 85% of your DV of the mineral, which functions as an ANTIOXIDANT IN SKIN CELLS, AND protects against damage from UV light! (ANOTHER CASE OF FREE SKINCARE. BYE SEPHORA, BYE!
- THESE BABES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BOOST YOUR ENERGY! In fact, 1 cup of the babies contains 64% of your DV of copper & 26% of your DV of iron, two minerals which work together AS A SUPER-BAD-ASS-TEAM to keep you fuelled & energized!!!
- OH & CHICKPEAS MAKE YOU SMART! Lawlz, k well not actually, but seriously, the protein in chickpeas also helps with nervous system health! Protein amino acids affect neurotransmitters in the brain & help them function properly!
BASICALLY, THIS BABE JUST MIGHT CHANGE YOUR LIFE. YOU CAN & SHOULD, DRESS PASTA WITH GREEK YOGURT, especially if you also then top it with CARAMELIZED-AF GARCLIKY MUSHROOMS & ONIONS. OH & OF COURSE, CHEEEESE.
OKAY, WOAH, that was a hell of a lot of teasing. I’m genuinely sorry, my loves. But, I am sure with each sentence, I convinced you MORE & MORE TO WHIP THIS BABY UP. And now, it’s that time, that time where you whip out them ingredients, SO LET’S DO THIS, OKAY MUNCHKINS?
My loves, YOU WILL NEED (for two KELLY-SIZED a.k.a. MISS PIGGY-SIZED bowls of wonderfulness!):
- LOADS of gluten-free spaghetti (or any other pasta) of your choosing, BOILED ACCORDING TO PACKAGE DIRECTIONS – BASICALLY, AL DENTÉ OR THE HIGHWAY, OKAY?
- 2 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 1 medium sweet white onion, SLICED FINELY;
- 120g of white or Portobello mushrooms;
- Freshly ground black pepper & organic Himalayan pink sea salt for seasoning of the garlic, onion & mushrooms!
- 2 cups of organic 2% Greek yogurt;
- ¼ cup of pure organic maple syrup;
- 3 tbsp. of Parm/Romano or nutritional yeast;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 15-oz. can of organic no salt-added chick peas, RINSED & DRAINED;
- ¼ – ½ cup of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- Freshly ground black pepper for garnish;
- Splash of lemon juice!
- OPTIONAL: More cheeeeese/nutritional yeast for sprinkling!
OKAY munchkins, before we delve into the nitty-gritty & I STOP TEASING YOU MUNCHKINS & TELL YOU HOW TO FINALLY MAKE THIS BABY, let me just dedicate this moment to the cleanliness & healthiness of these BEAUTIFUL INGREDIENTS. I swear, just reading them, I GET EXCITED ALL OVER AGAIN MAN. And, you had to see how excited I was while making this baby (EVEN THOUGH I AM FREAKING EXHAUSTED!!!).
SERIOUSLY THOUGH, it amazes me how possible it is to eat SO FREAKING HEALTHY WITHOUT FEELING DEPRIVED!! It’s all about combining the right ingredients & the right flavours. BASICALLY, YOU DON’T ALWAYS NEED MCDONALD’S FRIES TO FEEL SATISFIED. I SWEAR. (ALTHOUGH THEY ARE REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY GOOD… especially at 4:00am. All tastes are amplified at that hour, YA FEEL ME?).
OKAY, now that my like 4820948324920th rant of the day is over (Well not really, but you know what I mean), IT’S TIME FOR ME TO REVEAL HOW TO WHIP THIS BABE UP. YA READY? Here we go!!!!
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Once heated, add the garlic! Once FRAGRANT (A.K.A. GARLIC HEAVEN, ALWAYS!!!) & slowly beginning to BROWN, add your onions & mushrooms! Reduce the heat to MEDIUM & cook, stirring frequently & seasoning with pepper & sea salt! TASTE AS YOU GO, IF YOU WISH! & cook through until the onions & mushrooms are soft & golden brown, about 12-15 minutes!
- Meanwhile, BOIL YOUR SPAGHETTI (or other pasta/noodles of choice) according to the package directions!!! I honestly always wonder why I even bother to mention this step. I mean, for one, YOU OBVS NEED TO BOIL YOUR NOODLES… LIKE YOU AREN’T GOING TO EAT UNCOOKED PASTA, RIGHT? And two, isn’t it obvious that THE PASTA MUST ALWAYS BE COOKED AL DENTÉ? Why even follow the package directions? (BTW, if your package directions do not lead to your pasta being cooked AL DENTÉ, sorry not sorry, but you bought a BAD BRAND OF PASTA & don’t ever buy it again, okay?!?!?).
- Once your onions & mushrooms are CARAMELIZED-AF, SET THE SKILLET ASIDE (You will need it shortly! Let’s just wait until ‘dat pasta is ready!!).
- Once the pasta is cooked AL DENTÉ, DRAINED & RINSED, heat your skillet, YES, AGAIN, over MEDIUM-LOW heat & ADD YOUR PASTA TO THE VEGGIE MIX.
- THEN… THE BEAUTIFUL MOMENT WHEN YOUR DISH TURNS INTO CREAMY-SMOOTH-AF, YET JUST-THE-RIGHT-AMOUNT-OF-SWEET WONDERFULNESS…. THROW YOUR GREEK YOGURT INTO THE SKILLET (Okay, don’t actually throw it, it’ll splatter everywhere, but you know where I’m going with this, right) & then POUR YOUR MAPLE SYRUP! TOSSSSS THE EFF OUT OF THE NOODLES & VEGGIES TO COMBINE & COAT EVENLY WITH THE YOGURT & MAPLE SYRUP!
- NOW, once your veggies & noodles are EVENLY COATED, add in your Parm/Romano or nutritional yeast (OR A COMBINATION OF ALL THESE BEAUTIES, OOPS, I MEAN, CHEESES!) & your garlic powder! TOSSSSS THE EFF OUT OF THIS BEAUTY TO COMBINE, YES, ONCE AGAIN! Once combined, remove your skillet from the heat!
- NO, WE AREN’T DONE YET. Did you forget the chickpea wonderfulness that we have to add to this baby? I mean… how could you forget? I just spent like an hour doing research on the babes & then quite some time typing away frantically to transfer my newfound knowledge to you, my loves. SO PLEASE, DON’T FORGET YOUR CHICKPEAS! (I KNOW IT’S A HARD KNOCK LIFE… having this beauty on the stove in front of you & not being able to devour the eff out of it STAT, but my loves, patience is a virtue & I’M HELPING YOU DEVELOP CRAZY-AF RESISTANCE. SO YA!). ANYWHO, ALL THIS TO SAY, add your chickpeas to the skillet! TOSS, YET AGAIN, TO COMBINE!!
- NOW, IT’S THAT TIME. TIME TO PLATE THE BABE. THE TIME WHERE RESISTING EATING HER RIGHT OUTTA THE SKILLET BECOMES THE HARDEST THING TO DO IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. BUT, you can do this munchkins. I believe in you. I really, truly, genuinely, do! OK, PLATE HER!
- ONCE SHE PLATED, GARNISH HER WITH FRESH CILANTRO, freshly ground black pepper, a splash of lemon juice & some ‘mo cheese/nutritional yeast!!!!
Munchkins, if you were able to make it all the way down to the DEVOUR step without eating half the skillet (NO, NOT THE PHYSICAL FREAKING SKILLET. BUT WHAT’S IN IT!), then you are a freaking CHAMP & I LOVE YOU & TEACH ME YOUR WAYS, PLEASE! DESPERADO, OVER HERE!!!
OH & OF COURSE, FOOD PORN!!!
Enjoy babies!!! XOXO!