Hi again lovies!!!! <3 <3
Okay, so I don’t know about you munchkins but I HATE SUNDAY NIGHTS. They’re like the WORST reminder that a new week is about to start, and worst of all, that the weekend is OVER. WEH! Why does it always go by so quickly? I don’t get it, man.
Anywho, in a desperate attempt to make my Sunday evening a little BRIGHTER (I HAVE TO TRY REAL HARD ‘CAUSE LIKE WHEN I SAY I HATE ‘EM, I REALLY HATE ‘EM), I decided to whip up this BEAUTIFULLY-SCRUMPTIOUS TACO SALAD. And I must admit, IT DID WONDERS FOR BRIGHTENING UP MY SUNDAY NIGHT. I won’t lie & tell you that I SUDDENLY love Sunday, BUT I’M A HAPPY CAMPER RN. I mean, I’m in Mexico, so how could I even complain, right?
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of this MEXICAN BABE (Oulala, feisty, right?), let’s have a bit of fun with some teasing, no? YA DOWN? Oh well. I’m already started & we all know what that means. ONCE I START, I DON’T STOP.
P.S. Can we all just acknowledge & dedicate a moment of silence to Snapchat in honour of her creating a filter SPECIALLY DESIGNED FOR KELLY IN THE KITCH? I’M TALKIN’… SNAPCHAT OFFICIALLY HAS A FREAKING MISS PIGGY FILTER!!!!
YUPPPP! THAT’S THE EVIDENCE!!!!! WOAH. I’M IN LOVE & I’m so thankful to you Snapchat. THANKS! <3 <3 ALL MAH LOVE & DEVOTION!!!
SOOOO… THINK: Ground turkey sautéed in organic EVOO, minced garlic, bell pepper & white onion, COMBINED WITH SALSA FOR DAYS, chilli powder, cumin, CUTE-AF red kidney beans, fresh crisp romaine lettuce, juicy-AF yet, crunchy cherry tomatoes, LOADS OF FRESH CILANTRO/PARSLEY, LOADS OF CHEESE/NUTRITIONAL YEAST & tons of other FUN TOPPINGS (I leave the choice to you munchkins, but I do give you LOADS of ideas!!!).
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s Clean-Eating Turkey Taco-&-Bean-a-licious Salad a.k.a. Another-Night-In-Mexico-But-Who’s-Complaining-Right?!
OKAY, but how DELISH-AF does this sound? ARE YOU EVEN STILL HERE, OR HAVE YOU ALREADY STARTED ATTEMPTING TO WHIP THIS BABE UP WITHOUT EVEN HAVING THE LIST OF INGREDIENTS YET? I’m not judging you babies!! If I was in your position, I gotta admit that I probs would’ve done the same!!!
Would you believe me, would you agree… (PLEASE TELL ME YOU KNOW WHAT SONG I AM REFERRING TO?), ok, no but really, would you believe me if I told you this baby packs:
23 GRAMS OF PROTEIN
19 GRAMS OF FIBRE
ONLY 8 GRAMS OF SUGAR (all of which are NATURAL-AF & come from the veggies!!!!)
LOADS OF VITAMIN A (THANK YOU ROMAINE & CHERRY TOMATOES!! Love y’all!!)
TONS & I MEAN, TONS OF OTHER GOOD-FOR-YOU NUTRIENTS, I’M TALKIN’ VITAMIN C, IRON & CALCIUM!
IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE ME, LET THE INGREDIENTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES (Oh, & seriously, if you ACTUALLY don’t believe me, then; Our bond of trust is broken. I’m sad. You’re mean. & We can no longer be friends. WHICH ALSO MEANS, NO MORE RECIPES FOR YOU, GLEN COCO!!!). OK, rant over. INGREDIENTS TIME!!!!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 12 oz. of ground turkey (If you’re more into ground beef or ground chicken, feel free to switch it up! The recipe will work AMAZINGLY with any of the three meats, so seriously, AS YOU WISH LOVIES! I won’t be offended if you don’t use the turkey, SWEAR! But, it’s really cute how you worry about disappointing me though. Love you!);
- 2 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 1 medium sweet red bell pepper, CHOPPED;
- 1 medium sweet white onion, CHOPPED;
- 3 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 1 ½ cups of salsa (MUNCHKINS, this is where you put your creative minds & taste buds to work!!!! Use your imaginations!!! Use what you LOVE. Use what your BODY DESIRES. NOURISH YOUR BODS. I used Simply Natural Organic Black Bean & Corn Salsa BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT MY BODY WAS CRAVING & WOAH! But seriously, you can even make your own salsa OR use my Homemade Mango Salsa (RECIPE HERE) Basically, let your imaginations run wild with this part!);
- 2 tsp. of chilli powder;
- 2 tsp. of ground cumin;
- ¾ cup of low-sodium organic canned kidney beans, RINSED & DRAINED (I use Bio Italia or Eden Organics!);
- 8 cups of romaine lettuce, CHOPPED TO DEATH;
- 130g of cherry tomatoes, HALVED;
- 2-4 tbsp. of fresh cilantro or parsley leaves (OR A BIT OF BOTH!);
- FOR GARNISH: Shredded cheddar cheese or nutritional yeast & freshly ground black pepper;
- OTHER OPTIONAL TOPPING IDEAS (Just cause I am so awesome AND because I have way too many ideas in this little brain of mine!!!!): Crushed tortilla chips, avocado chunks, red pepper chilli flakes, MORE CHEEEESE and/or jalapeno peppers.
OKAY, but pause for a second… before you take these babes of ingredients out of your pantries/fridges, can we all just acknowledge that it’s not exactly possible for this recipe to get any more clean & healthy? PLEASE TELL ME YOU AGREE. Like… if you don’t, I will have to presume that you are simply playing with my head. NOT NICE. BYE.
Now, not only is she SUPA-DUPA-INCREDIBLY clean & healthy & all that good stuff, but also SHE’S SO FREAKING SIMPLE & EASY TO MAKE. YOU’RE GOING TO FREAK, GUYS. I’M NOT EVEN JOKING. Essentially, everything goes down in ONE SKILLET. YA DIG? Let me explain…
- In a LARGE SKILLET, cook the turkey, peppers, onion & garlic over MEDIUM HEAT for about 6 to 8 minutes OR until your turkey is no longer pink (a.k.a. SHE TURNING BROWN, BABIES!) & the veggies are becoming tender. As it cooks, BREAK THE TURKEY UP INTO CUTE LIL’ CRUMBLES!!!!
- Once the turkey is browned & your veggies are tender, stir in your SALSAAAA, chilli powder & cumin & HEAT THE EFF OUT OF THIS WONDERFULNESS AS YOU COMBINE IT WITH THE TURKEY & VEG MIXTURE.
- Once heated, remove your beautiful turkey, veg, salsa & SPICEEEEE mixture from the heat & STIR IN ‘DEM KIDNEY BEANS!
- NOW IT’S TIME TO PLATE THIS BEAUTY. Divide your romaine, top this beautiful green goddessness with the halved cherry tomatoes, turkey mixture, cilantro/parsley OR BOTH, shredded cheese/nutritional yeast & freshly ground black pepppppa!
- Add any other toppings of your choice!!!! & SERVE THE EFF OUT OF THIS BABE IMMEDIATELY!!!!
- NOW, DEVOUR!!!!!
P.S. If you munchkins want an even heartier meal, you can totally:
- Use the turkey mixture as a stuffing for some hard or soft taco shells OR
- Add in some other variations of beans (I’m talking black beans, white kidney beans & chick peas) & some organic brown rice to create your very own personalized clean-eating chili á la Kelly in the Kitch!!!
BASICALLY, WHAT I’M TRYNA SAY IS THAT THIS BABY IS VERSATILE-AF. You can have her any way you want her!!!!
OH & OF COURSE, FOOD PORN!!!
ENJOY MES AMOURS!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 xoxo!!!