Chopped Endives, Green Cabbage & Roasted Butternut Squash Salad Smothered in Kelly’s Clean-Eating Moroccan Vinaigrette & Served with a Side of Creamy-Velvety Greek Yogurt a.k.a. The-Amazing-Love-Story-of-a-Greek-&-a-Morrocan-Oh-But-Try-Explaining-That-to-Mémé-You-Still-Alive?
Hi lovies! <3 <3 <3
Happy Sunday, Funday! (& Happy Mother’s Day to all you beautiful mamas! TODAY IS YOUR DAY, SO HAND THE LAPTOP OVER TO YOUR HUBBY WITH YOUR TOP 3 KELLY IN THE KITCH RECIPES IN THE TABS & TELL HIM TO WHIP UP SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL. YA DIG?).
Total side note before we get into this beauty of a recipe, I NEED IT TO STOP RAINING IN MONTREAL. WHAT IS GOING ON? Like… it’s mid-May & I’m DYING for some sunshine. Oh well, guess I’ll have to bring the sunshine to MOI (& to you munchkins). HOW SO? With beautiful, bright, colourful, rainbow-AF recipes to brighten your days! The only sitch? THESE BABIES WILL FILL YOUR TUMMIES, MAKE YOU HAPPY & SATISFY THE EFF OUT OF YOU. But, THEY WILL NOT GIVE YOU A TAN. WEH. Guess us Montrealers will have to wait for that. But, until then, LET’S DEVOUR TOGETHER. You in?).
Anywho my loves, today’s LUNCH GOALS is THIS. What’s this, YOU ASK? OKAY, listen up. This is my CHOPPED ENDIVES, GREEN CABBAGE & ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SALAD smothered in my HOMEMADE CLEAN-EATING MOROCCAN VINAIGRETTE with a side of none other than CREAMY & SMOOTH-AF GREEK YOGURT. Dead, you? Of course, I also threw in loads of other yummy stuff, like chopped-AF fresh cilantro, sliced radishes & unsweetened organic dried cranberries!
P.S. HAD TO GO ON A GROCERY RUN TO PICK UP THE ENDIVES THIS MORNING IN THE RAIN. FML. But, since they ewre the main event of this baby, I HAD NO CHOICE. A girl in recovery’s gotta do what she’s gotta do, RIGHT?!?! SO I WENT & THERE I WAS, in PJs (pretty much!), hair braided, HOOD ON, lookin’ like a gangsta, WADDUP?
P.S. HOW CUTE ARE MY SHOES?
OKAY FINE, BACK TO THE FOOD!!! NOMNONOMNOMONOM!
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Chopped Endives, Green Cabbage & Roasted Butternut Squash Salad Smothered in Kelly’s Clean-Eating Moroccan Vinaigrette & Served with a Side of Creamy-Velvety Greek Yogurt a.k.a. The-Amazing-Love-Story-of-a-Greek-&-a-Morrocan-Oh-But-Try-Explaining-That-to-Mémé-You-Still-Alive?
P.S. I’ve been absolutely LOVING adding Greek yogurt to my salads – it adds this beautiful, creamy, NOT TO MENTION PROTEIN-PACKED punch to any dish & let’s be honest, she’s just SO FREAKING DELISH. Like… why not, right?
Oh & her PROBIOTIC benefits… Don’t get me started!!! Okay, well maybe I’ll tell you munchkins just a lil’ bit!
IT’S THAT TIME, MY LOVES!!! NUTRITION-101 WITH KELLY IN THE KITCH. YA DIG? & THIS TIME, WE TALK ABOUT NONE OTHER THAN GREEK YOGURT & ITS PROBIOTICS BENEFITS!
BASICALLY, as with regular yogurt, Greek yogurt is made from fermented milk. BUT, the difference is that Greek yogurt is strained more times than traditional yogurt to remove more whey!!! This is why Greek yogurt is THICKER & has MORE PROTEIN than regular yogurt.
BEST PART? – Greek yogurt also has a HIGHER AMOUNT OF HELPFUL BACTERIA CALLED PROBIOTICS in it because it is MORE CONCENTRATED THAN REGULAR YOGURT. But, WHAT ARE PROBIOTICS?
Probiotics are a type of microorganism similar to the ones found in the human digestive system. These “GOOD BACTERIA” help reduce harmful bacteria & organisms in the human gut & potentially encourage the response of the immune system when it’s needed. BASICALLY, THEY PROMOTE A HEALTHY-AF GUT & GUESS WHAT? GREEK YOGURT IS THE NUMBER 1 NATURAL SOURCE OF THESE BABIES. The live microorganisms in Greek yogurt can help improve your digestive system (WINNING, you?), help your body absorb nutrients & improve immune health AND MAY also help ease some gastrointestinal conditions!
ALL THIS TO SAY, eating Greek yogurt with probiotics can help increase the good bacteria in your gut & THE MORE GOOD BACTERIA YOU TAKE IN, THE LESS ROOM THERE IS FOR THE BAD STUFF TO GROW! So, my loves, what I’m trying to say is that IT’S ALL ABOUT THAT HEALTHY BALANCE OF FRIENDLY BACTERIA.
BTW, my loves, obvs, Greek yogurt is NOT THE ONLY SOURCE OF PROBIOTICS, BUT IT’S DEFS A GREAT & REALLY, REALLY YUMMY ONE! I mean, I LOAD UP on these things ALL DAY, EVERYDAY in various forms, but we can talk about that another time. Or else, I’ll ranting for ANOTHER HOUR. It’s time to get to the ingredients!!!!! You ready?
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 4 large endives, STEMS CHOPPED & SLICED THINLY LENGTHWISE;
- 200g of green or red cabbage, SHREDDED-AF;
- 150g of cucumber, CUBED;
- 150g of radishes, SLICED THINLY;
- 200g of my Best Ever Roasted Butternut Squash (RECIPE HERE) or sweet potato, CUBED;
- ½ cup of organic unsweetened dried cranberries or raisins;
- 3 tbsp. of Parm/Romano or nutritional yeast (OR ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!);
- 200g of organic 2% Greek yogurt (If you ain’t feeling the idea of Greek yogurt in your salad, AT LEAST GIVE IT A SHOT ONCE! No, but seriously, if you’re not into it, you can totz. sub the Greek yogurt for some ricotta or goat cheese, which will give you that creaminess, BUT, won’t provide as much protein!!!);
- ½ cup of my Clean-Eating Moroccan Vinaigrette (RECIPE HERE) – You already whipped her up this morning anyway, right? Basically, she’s READY & ALL YOU GOTTA DO IS POUR HER. #SICKLIFE;
- Freshly ground black pepper & some ‘mo cheese/nutritional yeast for garnish!
Yes, lovies, that’s it. That’s all. So simple, right? YOU TASTE HER. YOU DIE. YOU GO TO MORROCO. YOU GO TO GREEK YOGURT HEAVEN. YOU GO TO EVERYTHING/EVERYWHERE HEAVEN & YOU JUST CAN’T STOP. You don’t believe she’s THIS simple. It’s impossible. BUT BABIES, she’s the epitome of that whole “Sometimes simple is better” (Please do remember that I did say “sometimes”… we all know how I love to get complicated with the recipes sometimes. I cannot help it. I just have it in me. I love it, man!). Basically, this babe will NOT let you down. I promise, HECK, I guarantee it.
OKAY, now to whip this babe up… I mean, it’s a salad, JUST THROW EVERYTHING IN THE BOWL, LITERALLY. Honestly, if your butternut squash is already baked & your dressing is already whipped up & ready in your fridge, all you gotta do is CHOP UP ALL ‘DEM VEGGIES (I know, I acknowledge it’s a lot of work, but as always, I think it’s safe to say I make it worth it for you munchkins. Do you agree?).
In all seriousness though, HERE WE GO!!!!:
- THROW ALL YOUR BEAUTIFUL VEGGIES, THE DRIED CRANBERRIES & CHEESE/NUTRITIONAL YEAST into a LARGE-AF METAL MIXING BOWL (You will need room to mix lovies, so SAVE YOURSELVES THE TROUBLE. Start with a big bowl so that you don’t have to dirty a second one when you realize that you tried to be “modest” with the first one, BUT IT WAS OBVS. TOO SMALL!!!).
- Next, ADMIRE THE RAINBOW YOU JUST CREATED.
- ONCE YOU ARE DONE ADMIRING (This could take anywhere between 5 minutes & an hour, depending how IN LOVE you are with the sight of this munchkin, SO GIVE YOURSELF SOME LEEWAY!!!), portion your Greek yogurt into a small bowl to serve on the side with your salad.
- NOW, LET’S MAKE THIS BABE COME TOGETHER – Basically, all you gotta do is POUR THE BEAUTIFUL-SAVOURY-HOMEMADE-YUMMY-AF MOROCCAN VINAIGRETTE all over your beautiful piece of artwork, OOPS, I mean, SALAD. Smother the babe in it. MIX the eff out of her. Make sure all your ingredients are perfectly & evenly coated (If you prefer more dressing in your salads, you may find that you need to add a bit more! GO FOR IT. I AM NOT JUDGING YOU! SWEAR! BYE!).
- Garnish your beautiful salad with some freshly ground black pepper & some ‘mo cheese/nutritional yeast!
- WHEN YOU ARE READY TO DEVOUR THE BABE (UH, why wouldn’t you devour her NOW? LIKE RIGHT NOW? LIKE STAT? PRONTO?, top her with the Greek yogurt & MIX THE EFF OUT OF HER YET AGAIN to coat all your ingredients in the yogurt. My loves… the combination of the savoury vinaigrette with the creamy, smooth & yummy Greek yogurt is LETHAL. It’s like the two were meant to be together all along. What the eff was keeping ‘em from each other? Oh right… A Greek & a Moroccan are dating (Try explaining that to MÉMÉ!!!). Lawlz, totally kidding. It’s 2017, people. LET’S SMARTEN UP, right?
- OKAY, SORRY ABOUT THAT LITTLE RANT. Now, YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO DEVOUR!!!!!!! 3-2-1, GO!!!!
OH & FOOD PORN! DUH!!!!
Enjoy my boos!!! <3