Hi my loves!! <3 <3 <3
Happy SaturYAY night! I hope you all had a wonderful day 🙂 & made some time to whip up AT LEAST ONE (come on!!!!) of my beautiful recipes!!!
Basically, I think it’s safe to say that today I am SOUP GAME STRONG. Whipped a creamy CAULIFLOWER one up this morning & a nutrient-packed one up this evening – WINNING! Okay, but seriously, I want to apologize for being so, so cruel tonight on Instagram. I know I warned you munchkins & even published a disclaimer regarding my very, very bad tease of this babe of a soup, BUT I STILL FEEL THE NEED TO APOLOGIZE. I totally blame my lack of ability to resist temptation. HOWEVER, I shouldn’t have done that to you. I can only imagine how cray-cray your mind has been going at the thought of me devouring this baby & you having to wait for me to reveal how to whip her up. Apology accepted? PLEASE! I LOVE YOU!
ANYWHO lovies, for those of you who forgive me & have decided to keep on reading, I PRESENT YOU WITH TONIGHT’S DINNER GOALS. Ladies & gents, this is Kelly’s-Best-of-Both-Worlds-Turkey-Meatball-Yummiest-Ever-Soup a.k.a. Clean-Eating-Warm-&-Cozy-Comfort-Food-For-The-Win-Oh-&-Soup-Game-Strong!
In a nutshell, simple seasonings ADD A TON & I MEAN TONS & LOADS, of flavour to this ONE-POT (YES, MUNCHKINS, ONE POT TO WASH. THAT’S ALL!!!!) THAT IS READY IN LIKE 30 (I’m talking minutes, babies!).
This babe is warm, comforting, hearty, YET SUPER LEAN, CLEAN & HEALTHY (Hence, her name: BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. TWO BIRDS. ONE STONE. YA KNOW?). This munchkin is basically another one of those “I-feel-like-I’m eating-comfort-food” sitch’s, but really “I’m-eating-the-cleanest-&-healthiest-ingredients-ever” ADMIT YOU LOVE ME. I know you do, it’s fine, and you don’t need to admit it.
OH, & in case you want to LOVE ME a TAD MORE, need I mention that this baby rings in at:
A WHOPPING 35 GRAMS OF PROTEIN & 24 GRAMS OF FIBRE?
I think I’ve beaten ALL MY RECORDS HERE. What do you munchkins think? SHE’S FAB. RIGHT? I know!!!!!
In case you haven’t noticed, the turkey meatballs are the MAIN-ATTRACTION IN THIS BABY & are complemented by beautiful, colourful veggies that provide TONS OF FIBRE & ANTIOXIDANTS. BASICALLY, you’re #winning yet again with a macronutrient combo of PROTEIN, GOOD & LEAN FATS & TONS OF VEGGIES.
So, TO RECAP, not only is this babe DELICIOUS, WARM, SCRUMPTIOUS & COZY, but she’s:
simple, quick & easy to whip up (so she makes for the PERFECT weeknight meal when you get home from work late & want to devour your entire fridge, BUT THEN, YOU REMEMBER THAT THIS BABY COULD BE READY IN 30 & suddenly, the ingredients are on your counter in the snap of a finger & you resist the fridge-binge because you know what’s waiting for you!!!)
SO COMFORTING (so she also makes for the PERFECT weekend COMFORT FOOD meal, ergo, for those date nights where you munchkins decide to be lazy-AF & stay in & BINGE-WATCH NETFLIX. Don’t worry, I do the same thing like… EVERY WEEKEND #noshame)!
HEALTHY, CLEAN & NUTRITIOUS-AF. Basically, the definition of EAT YO VEGGIES, EAT YO PROTEINS & EAT YO FIBRES! (Three’s a charm?!)
SAVOURY & FULL OF BEAUTIFUL SPICE COMBOS GUARANTEED TO THROW A PARTAY IN YOUR MOUTH (Am I invited? VIP list? Dress code? Open bar? LET ME KNOW!)
MADE IN ONE-POT (therefore, you have less dishes to wash & you don’t have to be transferring your ingredients from one pot, to a bowl, to a dish, to a skillet, to a cutting board, to another bowl, then to a plate. YA FEEL ME?)
Oh &… don’t get me started about the spice combination. WE’LL DISCUSS THAT SHORTLY, MY LOVES! Well, actually, since I’ve already teased you as bad as it gets, let me tease you just a little more. Ya dig? I’M TALKING FRESH CILANTRO & PARSLEY, GROUND CUMIN, SEA SALT, PARM/ROMANO/NUTRITIONAL YEAST, GARLIC, CHILLI POWDER & LOADS OF DRIED HERBS. YOU STILL ALIVE? HELLO?!?!
IN HOPES that you are still alive & that you have made it to this point, it’s that time munchkins. It’s time for the BIG INGREDIENTS REVEAL. ARE YOU READY? Ugh, now that I think about it, maybe I shouldn’t have teased you again… I think it’s just too much for you to take in one day. I’m so sorry. PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE STILL ALIVE. Okay, you’re there. Great. HERE WE GO BABES!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- NOODLES OF YOUR CHOOSING! (I mean… it’s only fair that I leave like ONE PART of the recipe up to you my loves, right? Plus, your minds/imaginations need to be stimulated!!! So, here’s where you can get creative!);
- 1 lb. of lean ground turkey;
- ¼ cup of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- ¼ cup of fresh parsley, CHOPPED;
- ½ tsp. of ground cumin;
- 1 ½ tsp. of organic Himalayan pink sea salt;
- 2-3 tbsp. of Parm/Romano or nutritional yeast (OR ALL OF THE ABOVE! As you all know, I have a
SLIGHT(HUGE) OBSESSION with nutritional yeast, so yep, I used that baby, BUT FEEL FREE TO USE THE PARM OR THE ROMANO if you wish! I just cannot betray my nutritional yeast, BYE!
- 1 large egg, LIGHTLY BEATEN;
- 2 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 1 medium yellow onion, CHOPPED-AF;
- 2 garlic cloves, MINCED;
- ¾-1 tsp. of chilli powder (Depending how much you like ‘dat chilli flava – OBVS, I put a whole teaspoon. Like, have you met me? Kelly + Spices = <3 forever & ever & ever;
- ¾-1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 4 cups of low-sodium beef/chicken/veggie broth! (I used veggie broth, but it’s totally up to you!);
- 3 cups of water;
- 2 carrots, SLICED INTO ¼ish inch rounds;
- 200g of cherry tomatoes, HALVED;
- 2 tbsp. of organic tomato paste;
- 1 medium zucchini, DICED;
- 1 tsp. of dried oregano/basil/thyme/parsley OR A COMBINATION OF ALL OF THESE BEAUTIFUL DRIED SPICES (That’s what I did OBVS!) FOR GARNISH!
- A splash of lime juice for seasoning before DEVOURING (If you have time to take this citrusy juice out of the fridge before devouring this babe of a soup… LIKE, DO YOU REALLY CARE FOR THAT EXTRA SPLASH OF LIME JUICE WHEN THIS SOUP IS FRESH OFF ‘DA STOVE, HOT & READY FOR YOU? Nah. But, in case you have self-control, ADD A LITTLE SPLASH OF LIME JUICE! YUM!);
- 3 tsp. of HOT SAUCE!
- Tortilla chips for serving!
- Shredded cheddar/mozzarella/more nutritional yeast for garnish!
NOW, TO WHIP THIS BABE OF A SOUP UP, let’s get to the nitty-gritty. IT’S TIME FOR ‘DAT STEP-BY-STEP & for this one, you need it!!! Trust me!!!
- Using your hands (YES, we are getting down & dirty with this one babies), combine the turkey with the cilantro, parsley, cumin, sea salt, Parm/Romano/nutritional yeast (OR ALL) & egg, in a MEDIUM metal mixing bowl & refrigerate!
- Boil your noodles according to the package directions! (As always, you munchkins know that I don’t eat my noodles ANY OTHER WAY than AL DENTÉ – BUT, WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOATS. However, as I’ve told you in the past – Once you go al denté, YOU NEVER GO BACK! Give it a shot, okay?).
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over MEDIUM HEAT. Once heated, add the onion, garlic, chilli powder and cumin and COOK THE EFF OUT OF THIS YUMMINESS, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- NOW, ONCE YOUR KITCH SMELLS LIKE ONION & GARLIC HEAVEN (My goodness, how are you supposed to handle both at the same time? I KNOW. RIDIC!), add your broth and water, increase heat to HIGH and bring this BEAUTIFULNESS to a simmer!
- ONCE SIMMMMMERING-AF, throw in your carrots, tomatoes and tomato paste, stir to combine and return this babe to a simmer (OKAY, but can we all discuss how she just keeps on getting more and more beautiful with every step??? IF YOU DON’T AGREE WITH ME, BYE!).
- Reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW & roll heaping tablespoons of meat into 1-inch balls, wetting your hands as necessary to prevent sticking, and carefully drop THESE CUTE LITTLE MUNCHKINS into the soup (I DID SAY CAREFULLY, RIGHT? Don’t just throw them in. DO YOU WANT THEM TO FALL APART? No. This is not a mash turkey soup. This is a turkey meatball soup. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!). Return to a simmer and cover the pot! Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and simmer uncovered until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Once the zucchini is cooked, adjust your heat to LOW.
- THEN, ADD YOUR NOODLES & stir to COMBINE all this beautifulness for about 1 minute! You might need to add a LITTLE bit more broth!!
- PLATE YOUR SOUP (or, rather BOWL YOUR SOUP – is that a thing? OH WELL, we all know how much I love making things that aren’t things “things”, SO BOWLING YOUR SOUP IS NOW A THING, okay?);
- Once BOWLED, sprinkle your baby with the dried herbs of your choosing (OR A BIT OF ALL OF ‘EM, LIKE I DID!), splash it with some lime juice & top it with the hot sauce, tortilla chips AND/OR the shredded cheeeeze!!!!
- DEVOUR!!!!!!!!!! But don’t burn your tongue! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE. BYE.
YES, my loves, that’s it. That’s all. EASY AS 1-2-3, right? OKAY, maybe not THAT EASY, but still pretty freaking simple if you ask me… & when you taste her, YOU’LL APPRECIATE THE SIMPLICITY EVEN MORE. I SWEAR. Guys, I gobbled this babe up, I legit licked the bowl clean. I can’t. I want more. NOW. NOW. NOW. NOW. If you do make her tonight, please feel free to ring my doorbell with your leftovers (providing you succeed on your first try making this baby, BUT WHY WOULDN’T YOU?! You have everything you need RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, LEGIT! YOU CAN DO THIS BABIES). Oh & I’m being stupid. I don’t even know how or why I’m presuming that you will have leftovers… BUT JUST IN CASE, YOU KNWO WHERE TO FIND MOI!
OK LOVIES, so now that you have:
the ingredients out!
the instructions handed to you on a silver platter!
& THE MOTIVATION THAT I BELIEVE IN YOU SUCCEEDING ON YOUR FIRST TRY,
GO, GO, GO!!!!!
(& Feel free to call me if you need some help, a.k.a. if you’re HALFWAY THROUGH THE RECIPE & IT’S GOING ALL WRONG & YOU’RE FLIPPING OUT AT THE THOUGHT THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE TO ORDER PIZZA FOR DINS! OH NO! CALL ME, BYE!).
OH & FOOOOOD PORN!!!!!
Enjoy babies!!!! <3 <3 <3 xoxo!