Hi lovies!! <3 <3
Happy Thursday evening! 🙂
Did you really think I forgot to post TODAY’S LUNCH GOALS? If so, you’re dreaming in Technicolor. I could never forget to share such gorgeousness & yumminess with you munchkins – I like to play things fair & square. If I had a taste of her, YOU SHOULD TOO!!
I know. I know. YOU’RE PROBS ANNOYED. I’m always ranting on about my NEW FAVE KALE SALAD… This salad, though!!!! It’s crisp, sweet (but not too sweet, ergo, JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT) & features celery & apple, which is a new-to-me-very-I-got-creative-in-the-KITCH pairing that you will defs see me use again (In other words, IT WAS A DELISH COMBINATION!).
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of this baby, I DO HAVE A VERY IMPORTANT CONFESSION TO MAKE. Basically, I cheated on Spinach again today & I have mixed feelings. I obvi feel bad because I really do want to remain faithful, BUT I ALSO FEEL SO GOOD because I devoured the eff out of Kale (That sounds really bad… depends how dirty your mind is, whatevz! Interpret it how you want, kay?) & she really was SOOOO BEAUTIFUL & DELICIOUS. Do you think Spinach & I can come to a sort of “LOVE-TRIANGLE” agreement? Your input will honestly be so greatly appreciated. I am PERPLEXED. Can you tell? OKAY, my rant is over, but seriously, I NEED YOUR HELP MY LOVES, SO PLEASE, HELP A SISTA OUT!
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Fall-Ish Kale Tuna Salad with Celery, Honeycrisp Apple & Cranberries Smothered in Kelly’s Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette a.k.a. The-Mind-Blowing-Result-Of-Kelly-In-The-Kitch-Cheating-On-Spinach-With-Kale-Oops-But-It-Was-Worth-It!
THINK: Really chopped-AF kale. Sweet & juicy Honeycrisp apple. Crunchy-AF celery. Chopped-AF savoury basil. Flaked white tuna. Crumbly-AF GOAT CHEESE. & Sweet tarty cranberries & all this BEAUTIFULNESS tossed in this morning’s (VERY EARLY) blog post, NEED I REMIND YOU OF my Blueberry Balsamic Dressing?!?!
Okay, so TASTE-WISE, we’ve acknowledged how freaking delicious this baby is. NOW, NUTRITIONALLY, HOW DOES THIS BABE RING IN, you ask? (Look at you babies starting to care about that stuff. I’m loving it!!!). OKAY, so basically, she’s a dream-come-true on that front too. I’m talking 21 GRAMS OF PROTEIN & 17 GRAMS OF FIBRE PER SERVING… not to mention, she packs LOADS OF VITAMIN A & C (THANKS KALE, YOU DA BOMB.COM!).
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 VERY LARGE bunch of KALE, CHOPPED;
- 1 medium Honeycrisp apple, CHOPPED (or any other apple, but I SUGGEST HONEYCRISP BECAUSE THEY ARE THE SWEETEST!);
- 120g of celery, CHOPPED FINELY;
- 4 tbsp. of fresh basil, CHOPPED;
- 4 oz. of organic goat cheese or feta, CRUMBLED-AF;
- 1 can of flaked tuna in water (or in oil, if you prefer & want some extra good-fats/flavour!);
- 3 tbsp. of Parm/Romano or nutritional yeast;
- ½ cup of organic unsweetened dried cranberries;
- OPTIONAL: ¼ cup of pepitas (pumpkin seeds) OR CHOPPED-AF pecans!
- ¼ cup of my Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette (RECIPE HERE)
P.S. If you munchkins want to make this babe DAIRY-FREE, skip the goat cheese/feta & replace it with some diced avocado! It will make up for the lost CREAMINESS & munchkins, YOU NEED ‘DAT CREAMINESS.
OH, & if you’re thinking of prepping this babe for lunch, LET ME CONFIRM THAT IT’S TOTALLY DOABLE! The babe will stay well in the fridge, COVERED, OF COURSE, for a few days!
AND LASTLY, if ever you find you’re making this babe way too often (& you will, because she’s just THAT FREAKING GOOD), you can switch up the celery & apple for some cubed & roasted butternut squash (YOU ALREADY HAVE MY RECIPE, SO WHY NOT?), sweet potato, eggplant or pears!
OKAY, now that you know all about them ingredients & EVEN have some suggestions as to what to substitute if need be (KAY, but how freaking awesome can one be? Seriously?!?), LET’S WHIP THIS BABY UP!
- FOR THE KALE: Okay, so I’m actually not too sure if I ever told you munchkins how to prepare kale before using her in a salad, so I’ll do it this time, just in case!). It’s pretty simple!
- Basically, all you gotta do is use a chef’s knife to remove the tough ribs from the kale & discard them.
- THEN, chop the kale leaves into small-bite-sized pieces & transfer the chopped-AF kale to a large metal mixing bowl! Sprinkle this green beautifulness with a pinch of sea salt & massage (sounds so ODD when talking about a leaf, right? I KNOW! But, you catch my drift) the leaves with your hands by lightly scrunching big handfuls at a time, until the LEAVES ARE DARKER IN COLOR & FRAGRANT. My loves, it’s like magic.
Now, I’ll be honest with you, your kale salad will still be delish without this whole process, BUT, if you want to prep kale the right way, THAT’S WHAT YOU GOTTA DO!
- ONCE YOU’RE DONE WITH THE KALE, add the apple, celery, basil, crumbled goat cheese/feta, flaked tuna, Parm/Romano/nutritional yeast, cranberries & pumpkin seeds/pecans (if using) to the large metal mixing bowl! Toss all this beautifulness together to COMBINE!
- POUR & SMOTHER THIS BEAUTIFUL BABE IN MY BLUEBERRY BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE & DEVOUR!!!!
OH & FOOD PORN!!!!!
Love y’all! Xoxo! <3