Good morning lovies! Happy SaturYAY! <3 <3 <3
Let me start off by saying that WEEKENDS ARE FOR INDULGING. WEEKENDS ARE FOR REWARDING. WEEKENDS ARE FOR CHEAT DAYS. Right? Ok, now that we are on the same page, let me also tell you that my favourite chocolate has always been the chocolate-coated variety with a bit of a salty element… I’m talking Snickers, Twix & NONE OTHER THAN… REESE’S.
And so, this morning, I WOKE UP WITH A CHOCOLATE CRAVING & THOUGHT what better than to whip up MY VERY OWN CLEAN-EATING-ISH HOMEMADE version of peanut butter cups, ya feel me?
So there I was, 6:29am & CURRENT SITCH IN KELLY’S KITCH? HOMEMADE FREAKING PEANUT BUTTER CUPS. Yes, you read right my loves. Admit it, you are freaking the EFF out. Well guess what? So am I. I must confess that while the babes were in the fridge hardening up, I got up like ten times to PERHAPS open the fridge & steal one, BUT THEN… I resisted somehow. I think it was the fact that I knew that they would taste EVEN BETTER when hardened that kept me going… basically, it was just a waiting game & I was legit losing patience!!! BUT I MADE IT!
P.S. You munchkins are going to FREAK THE EFF OUT when you see how simple, quick & easy it is to whip these babies up. You will never EVER, and I mean, EVER, buy store-bought peanut butter cups again. No joke. Don’t believe me? See for YOURSELVES.
ALSO, what I loved about making my own peanut butter cups was that I got to control EVERYTHING, from how dark the chocolate is to how much peanut butter filling goes into each cup! BTW, speaking of PB, if you’re not a fan, (which is definitely something we are going to have to talk about eventually because that’s NONSENSE!!!), you can totz. use almond butter, cashew butter or sunflower butter if you prefer. Either way, THESE BABES WILL BE DELISH.
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Kelly’s Homemade Clean-Eating-Ish Mini Chocolate Peanut-Butter Cups a.k.a. Treat-Yo’Self-Mini-Cups-of-Heaven-Oh-&-What-The-Eff-is-Reese’s?
THINK: CHOCOLATE. CHOCOLATE. CHOCOLATE. All-natural organic PEANUT BUTTER. Maple syrup for days. Crumbly, deliciously-smelling, IRRESISTIBLE COCONUT FLOUR. Fine sea salt. Yes, that’s it, babies, but admit: just this was enough to make you melt (No pun intended).
Since you are slowly melting away, I have made the conscious decision to shaddup & to get right to the ingredients list, you know, just to give you some time to whip these babes up before you vanish into thin air. KAY, YOU READY?
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 mini-muffin tin! (If you prefer, you guys can totz. make full-size peanut butter cups, BUT, I just have this feeling that mini ones are just THAT MUCH BETTER. Like… do you see how freaking cute they are?
- 1 ½ cups of ANY KIND OF chocolate (about 7 ounces). Let your minds run wild, babies!!!! I used organic milk chocolate. But, feel free to use dark chocolate for a lighter/healthier version of these babies!;
- 1 ½ cup of organic CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER!
- 2 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup;
- 1 tbsp. of coconut flour (Guys… that crumble. BYE!);
- ¼ tsp. of fine sea salt;
- OPTIONAL: Coarse sea salt, for topping!
HOW FREAKING SIMPLE IS THIS, THOUGH? SAY YOU LOVE ME OR I WILL NOT CONTINUE. K thanks, getting back to it. NOW is the time where you take out your chocolate for days, maple syrup, coconut flour, and sea salt. OH & your muffin tin (OBVS!). DO IT. Don’t be lazy. You have a few steps to follow but you are ALMOST THERE. And, by “there”, I mean, you are almost at the point where you can devour the eff out of these babes.
OKAY, so how do you make these babies? LET MOI EXPLAIN.
- Melt half of your CHOCOLATE (about ¾ cup) over a double boiler. Basically, all you gotta do is put a heat-safe bowl (I SAID HEAT SAFE. LISTEN TO ME. I DON’T WANT TO BE THE CAUSE OF YOUR BURNT-DOWN HOUSE, got it? Liability denied. Thanks) over a small saucepan filled with about an inch of water & bring it to a boil! Check on your chocolate every so often & stir/mash it with a rubber spatula. Once you see that it is melted & that you are having the easiest time in the world mashing THE EFF out of it, REMOVE FROM THE HEAT. & DO SO QUICKLY. Nobody likes burnt chocolate, kay?
- Once the chocolate is melted, use a teaspoon to scoop the wonderfulness that is CHOCOLATE into the bottom of each mini muffin tin & set the pan aside.
- NOW… FOR THAT CREAMY-AF-SMOOTH-AF-DECADENT-AF-DYING-AF moment where you prepare the PEANUT BUTTER FILLING… I died. Please, stay alive. Try your best. Stir together all of the REMAINING GORG ingredients in a medium bowl, until the mixture is THICK AF.
- Once the PB mixture is ready, use a teaspoon to measure it out then plop it into the muffin cup (a.k.a. top the chocolate with your PB mixture). THEN, slam (literally) your muffin tin on your counter (BUT DON’T BREAK YOUR COUNTER, OKAY?) in order to flatten the peanut butter mixture & allow it to mesh with the chocolate. Basically, you want the peanut butter filling to be PRESSED as much as possible into each muffin cup!
- OKAY, YOU STILL HAVE LEFTOVER CHOCOLATE. Did you think we were going to forget about it? If so = INSANITY. It’s time to melt the remaining chocolate. YOU NEED TO TOP THE PB MIX, RIGHT? Duh. Once melted, fill out the tops of your PB cups & do that whole slamming thing again (LAST TIME, SWEAR!).
- While the chocolate is still melted, sprinkle the tops with coarse sea salt (if you wish!). TOTALLY RECOMMEND THIS. DO NOT SKIMP ON DAT SEA SALT.
- Now… this is the part that’s all about resistance & self-control (TWO THINGS I DO NOT HAVE WHEN PEANUT BUTTER & CHOCOLATE ARE COMBINED. But, today, well rather, this morning, I impressed myself). Allow the muffin cups to cool at room temperature OR put them in your fridge to speed up the process (I mean… Who the eff doesn’t want to speed up the process? If it were up to me, I would’ve eaten them STAT).
- Once hardened, DEVOUR THE BABES. DEVOUR SOME ‘MO. INDULGE. Basically, this is totz a treat yo’self sitch, my loves. BUT GUESS WHAT? YOU DESERVE IT!!!! GO, GO, GO!
- P.S. If there are any PB cups left over after you (& everyone else around you) have devoured the EFF out of them (NO CHANCE!!!!!), because this recipe calls for natural organic peanut butter, which tends to be stored in the fridge, STORE THESE BABES IN THE FRIDGE. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, they can keep for a month or more if stored properly in an airtight container & refrigerated… BUT, HONESTLY, if these babies last a month for you… I’m speechless. BYE!
OH RIGHT… how could I forget? (I obvs. didn’t!!!!). FOOD PORN:
Enjoy my loves!! <3 xoxo!