Kelly’s Best Ever Homemade Good-For-You Healthy AF Clean-Eating Granola a.k.a. Quaker-Ain’t-Got-Nothing-On-Me-Oh-&-Dat-Mapley-Cinnamony-Crumble
Rise & shine my loves! <3 <3
It’s time to wake up!!! WANNA KNOW WHY? IT’S FRIYAY! BASICALLY, it’s the weekend & you know what that means? You can finally take a break from the busy workweek & WHIP UP THAT LIST OF MY RECIPES YOU’VE BEEN MEANING TO MAKE. Don’t lie. I know you have one. AND WELL, if you don’t, MAKE ONE! (& Make sure you add this baby to your list because she is sure AF going to be a CLASSIC!!!! – I MEAN, who doesn’t always need some freshly baked granola in their pantry? WE ALL DO. Right?).
Anywho, CURRENT SITCH IN MY VERY (CLEAN, LOL JK. MESSY AF) KITCH this morning?: You would not believe all the metal bowls. All the measuring cups. All the mixing spoons. MY BRAIN IS EXPLODING SO MUCH WITH RECIPE IDEAS that I hardly make sense anymore!! BUT, the successes fuel other successes (do ya feel me?) & here there I was at 5:38am (in my cute PJ’s) WHIPPING UP A HOMEMADE GRANOLA STORM.
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s Best Ever Homemade Good-For-You Healthy AF Clean-Eating Granola a.k.a. Quaker-Ain’t-Got-Nothing-On-Me-Oh-&-Dat-Mapley-Cinnamony-Crumble.
I have tried this baby out a few times & let me tell you, she is YUMMIER than any store-bought granola I HAVE EVER TRIED. She’s also WAY HEALTHIER since she is made with whole grains, unrefined oil & is TOTALLY NATURALLY SWEETENED. Basically my loves you cannot beat freshly HOME-BAKED granola packed with delish & good-for-you ingredients!! Like, QUAKER AIN’T GOT NOTHING ON ME, right? I know. This baby is CRUMBLY, CLUMPY, CHUNKY, DECADENT… basically, she’s PERF.
Babes, THINK: Old-fashioned rolled oats. Pecans. Pumpkin seeds. COCONUT OIL. Pure organic maple syrup. Sea salt. Cinnamon. Organic unsweetened raisins… ARE YOU BREATHING? Guys, if only you could smell my kitchen RN. You’d die. GAH, legit, this granola is everything!!!!!!
LET’S BREAKDOWN THESE BEAUTIFUL INGREDIENTS.
- OATS: These babies are heart-healthy, hearty, chewy AF, full of fibre & SO FREAKING GOOD FOR YOU! They are obvi the main ingredient in this baby & NOBODY’S COMPLAINING, right? P.S. Make sure to use certified gluten-free oats if you want this babe to be gluten-free.
- NUTS & SEEDS: OKAY, so I sort of give you the liberty to choose your own nut & seed combo for this baby, but would you believe me if I told you I’ve tried quite a few combinations & the best one yet is PECANS & GREEN PUMPKIN SEEDS (a.k.a. Pepitas. OYYYY, what a cute word though, eh?). If you’re not into pecans or pumpkin seeds, you can also try walnuts, sliced almonds, cashews, peanuts, pistachios and/or sunflower seeds! BASICALLY, the possibilities are endless – it’s all about finding that flavour combination that you LOVE. AND FOR ME, THAT’S PECANS & PEPITAS, okay? <3
- COCONUT OIL: It’s literally thanks to this babe that your granola will come out crisp AF & PRETTY MUCH IRRESISTIBLE. If possible, use unrefined coconut oil – I mean, it’s delish, ALL WHILE producing the perf texture!!!! If you munchkins are more into savoury granola, (But like, who is??!!?), sub the coconut oil for olive oil, BUT, being the concocter (Is that a word?) of this recipe, I really suggest sticking with the coconut oil. It will make all the difference!!!!
- MAPLE SYRUP: NATURAL UNREFINED SWEETENER. ‘Nuff said. If you ran out of maple syrup because you’ve been cooking/baking my recipes too much & I clearly have a slight (OKAY FINE, HUGE) obsession with this babe of a POUR, you can sub it for honey. BUT, I’ll be honest, I’ve tried this baby with both maple syrup & honey and she came out better with the maple syrup – the granola comes out more clumpy! SO UH, that essentially means you should be on your way to the grocery store RN. You dig?
- SUGAR & SPICE & EVERYTHING NICE (Okay, no, what I really mean is SALT & SPICE!): My loves, salt is ESSENTIAL for flavourful granola (Believe it or not). In fact, too little salt means your flavours won’t sing (OY, how cute is that line though?). Basically, without salt, the flavour combinations will not come together as well & NOBODY WILL BE HAPPY ABOUT THAT, SO SALT YOUR GRANOLA, OK? I always use fine-grain sea salt in my granola, but you can totz. use regular salt as well (just make sure to reduce the quantity slightly if you do!). AS FOR THAT SPICE, I added cinnamon (DUH!) – IMO, it gives the perf amount of warmth to this baby. If it’s October & you are feeling the pumpkin vibes, you can totz sprinkle some pumpkin spice instead (or in addition to the cinnamon) & if you’re into ginger and stuff, ADD A PINCH!
- DRIED FRUIT (I USED RAISINS): Munchkins, I added NOMZ AF organic unsweetened raisins to my granola, but there are so many options!!!!! I feel like dried cranberries, cherries or dried apricots would work well with this babe too! BUT, RN, I’m totz into raisins, SO RAISINS IT IS. Plus… RAISINS + PECANS = <3 <3 <3 <3.
- OTHER OPTIONAL MIX-INS: My loves, these are OPTIONAL, but here are some suggestions: throw in some chocolate chips once the granola has completely coooooooled, or add some coconut flakes halfway through baking TO TOAST DA EFF OUT OF DAT COCO.
OK, OK, we’re almost at the nitty-gritty, PROMISE. I just want to give you babies some tips! Basically, if you want that perf clumpy & crisp granola, crowd your oats a little bit on your baking sheet but, BUT DON’T CROWD THEM SO MUCH THAT THEY WON’T TOAST EVENLY. Basically, USE YOUR JUDGMENT!!!!
One thing you CANNOT FORGET is to line your baking sheet with parchment paper… I mean, you do want the maple syrup to stick to the oats & not to the sheet, right? KAY, that’s what I thought. At least we are on the same page.
OH & another tip (That I know you won’t follow, because I DID NOT EVEN PRACTICE WHAT I AM PREACHING, BUT WHATEVZ – Just in case you have the self-control I lack) – TRY YOUR VERY-ULTIMATE-INSANELY-A-FOR-EFFORT best to allow the granola to cool completely before devouring. She will in fact continue to cook for a bit once she is FRESH OUT ‘DA OVEN. But really, I know you cannot resist my loves. Just the smell KILLS ME EVERY. SINGLE. DAMN. TIME. So imagine the BOOST IN MY MOOD WHEN DAT TIMER BEEPS, NOT TO MENTION, THE BOOST IN APPETITE (#misspiggyFTW, you?)
OKAY, lovies, I am FINALLY done ranting. Sorry. I really am. It mind boggles me that I cannot shaddap at this hour (BTW, update: It is now 6:18am). LET’S GET TO DAT NITTY-GRITTY. What do I mean? I MEAN… IT’S INGREDIENTS TIME!!!!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (Use certified gluten-free oats for gluten-free granola). I used Bob’s Red Mill GF Rolled Oats!
- 1 ½ cup raw nuts and/or seeds (I used 1 cup pecans and ½ cup pepitas). WHO ELSE FREAKING LOVES PECANS?!?!?! LET’S BE BESTIES.
- 1 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt (If you’re using standard table salt, scale back to ¾ teaspoon);
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (I use Simply Organic!);
- ½ cup melted coconut oil or olive oil (I used Naked Coconuts for this one babies!);
- ½ cup pure organic maple syrup or honey;
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract (I use Simply Organic!);
- ⅔ cup dried fruit, chopped if large (I used dried organic unsweetened raisins). IN CASE YOU HAVE NOT REALIZED, along with my obsession with maple syrup, RAISINS ARE ALSO AT THE TOP OF MA LIST.
- Totally optional additional mix-ins: ½ cup chocolate chips or coconut flakes
GUYS, can you imagine all these beautiful flavours combined??? It’s INSANE. THE COMBINATION IS PERFECT. THEY ALL MESH SO WELL TOGETHER. I NEED YOU TO TRY IT. I could legit sit here for days explaining why you need to make this baby, but I really don’t think she needs any more justification or convincing. And if she does, you’re hard to get & I do not like you. BYE! KIDDING. I REALLY DO LOVE YOU ALL, but c’mon, what are you waiting for?
Oh right… the INSTRUCTIONS!!!!! KAY, here we go:
- Preheat your oven to 350F (Honestly, at this point, IF THERE WASN’T A RISK OF BURNING DOWN MY HOUSE, I’d probs just leave my oven on permanently, LAWLZ. But, I don’t want to cause a fire & stuff, SO YA!) & line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts and/or seeds, salt and cinnamon. Stir to blend. BEAUTZ, RIGHT? Just wait & see what’s coming to you next!!!!! A FEAST FOR YOUR BEAUTIFUL EYES. Pour in the coconut oil, maple syrup/or honey and vanilla. Mix well, until every oat and nut is lightly coated.
- Pour the granola onto your prepared pan and use a large spoon to spread it in an even layer. BAKE THIS BABE UNTIL GOLDEN, about 21 to 23 minutes, stirring halfway (MY LOVES, I cannot stress enough how important it is to stir halfway!!!!! You want evenly baked granola, I presume… SO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO ACHIEVE THAT). The granola will further cook & crisp up as it cools.
- Let the granola cool completely, undisturbed (LEZ BE HONEST, YOU WILL DISTURB THE EFF OUT OF IT, A.K.A. YOU WILL PROBS DEVOUR IT FRESH OUT DA OVEN).
- If you make it past the previous step, a.k.a., if you ACTUALLY let your granola cool, store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks, or in a sealed freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. Basically, FREEZER = LIFE = YOU CAN DOUBLE OR TRIPLE YOUR BATCH = READY-MADE GRANOLA FOR DAYS = <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
- DEVOUR. BYE!
ENJOY MY LOVES!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3