Buckwheat Soba Noodles with Sautéed Bok Choy & Portobello Mushrooms in a Garlick-y, Soy, Curry, Ginger & Sesame Sauce a.k.a. That-No-Brainer-Simple-Yet-Delicious-Asian-Flavoured-Dish-That-You-NEED-More-Of-STAT
Rise & shine my loves! Good morning <3
Happy TUESDAY! (You know what that means, right? – WE ALL GOT THROUGH MONDAY ALIVE #winning).
Last night’s dinner goals was ASIAN-INSPIRED, super simple, yet absolutely-positively-incredibly-perfectly-devoured-her-in-ten-minutes DELICIOUS (Wow, I had to take a little breath there!). Ladies & gents, I present you with my Buckwheat Soba Noodles with Sautéed Bok Choy & Portobello Mushrooms in a Garlick-y, Soy, Curry, Ginger & Sesame Sauce a.k.a. That-No-Brainer-Simple-Yet-Delicious-Asian-Flavoured-Dish-That-You-NEED-More-Of-STAT.
Basically, THINK: Soba noodles. Sautéed bok choy & Portobello mushrooms in a garlick-y soy, curry, ginger & sesame sauce. LOADS of grilled chicken. & TONS of CHOPPED fresh cilantro. OH & don’t get me started about the spices. I’ll legit be here for days (I mean… if you like the ranting & all, sure, get me started, but don’t complain when I CAN’T STOP, WON’T STOP!).
Okay, pause for a second… picture these beautiful soba noodles twirling around your fork… then, picture that beautifully sautéed, crunchy, savoury piece of bok choy, combined with a perfectly-cooked cutie (cube) of grilled chicken & a garlick-y Portobello mushroom or two… all this in that beautiful, light, airy ginger-y, curry-y lime-y, sesame-y, soy-y sauce… LIKE… WHAT?! How do you even resist this? I ask myself this question BECAUSE I WAS NOT ABLE TO. Teach me the ways, people. Although, I genuinely do not believe there are “ways” to resist FOOD THIS GOOD. Sometimes, you just gotta give in. Right? WHAT I’M SAYING IS, GIVE IN TO THAT TEMPTATION & GET WHIPPPPPING. OH BUT WAIT, first, let me tell you what you gotta dig for in your pantries to make these babes. I promise you will NOT have to dig far. This babe is made with very simple ingredients, that you most probably use on a daily, if not weekly (at least) basis!). HERE GOES!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 300g of soba noodles;
- 3 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 200g of Portobello mushrooms;
- 280g of bok choy, BOTTOM STEM REMOVED & SLICED LENGTHWISE, THEN CHOPPED;
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder;
- ½ tsp. of onion powder;
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt & freshly ground black pepper for seasoning;
- 200g of my Honey Mustard Cumin Grilled Chicken Breast (RECIPE HERE) or my Best-Ever-Grilled-Chicken (RECIPE HERE) or whip up your own chicken breast recipe (BUT, I’ll be offended & the recipe will ALSO take you more time… so THINK WISELY. CHOOSE WISELY. BYE!), CUBED;
- ¼ cup of gluten-free soy sauce/Tamari;
- 2-3 tbsp. of organic toasted sesame oil (I use Maison Orphée);
- 2 tbsp. of raw organic honey;
- 1 tsp. of fish sauce;
- 2 tbsp. of organic natural rice vinegar (I use Nakano);
- 2 cloves of garlic, MINCED (NO I DID NOT MAKE A TYPO. YOU NEED MORE GARLIC);
- 1 tsp. of ground ginger;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 tsp. of curry powder;
- ½ tsp. of onion powder;
- ½ tsp. of smoked paprika;
- ½ tsp. of dried parsley for garnish;
- MORE CURRY POWDER for garnish;
- 4 tbsp. of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
YES LOVIES, that’s it. That’s all. Awesome, right? This babe is actually PERF for those lazy nights when you want to whip up something that (LOOKS) FANCY, (TASTES) FREAKING GREAT, BUT does not require (THAT) MUCH EFFORT OR TIME! Basically, this baby is a NO-BRAINER. So, I really hope all you’re waiting for is for me to tell you how to whip her up. Then, I expect you IN YOUR KITCH STAT. No excuses, OKAY?
I JUST WANT TO TALK SOBA NOODLES FOR LIKE A SECOND, KAY? #sorrynotsorry. In case you aren’t’ familiar with these BEAUTZ NOODLES, they are Japanese noodles made from NONE OTHER THAN BUCKWHEAT FLOUR. They look A LOT like spaghetti, BUT THEY’RE BETTER because they have this NUTTY FLAVOUR (So delish, my loves!!!!) that you would not get with spaghetti! Basically, buckwheat flour has TONS of health benefits. Let moi explain QUICKLY, I promise!
- First off, it’s gluten-free!
- It’s heart-healthy & rich in phytonutrients (which are, in a nutshell, antioxidants that can help prevent a variety of diseases).
- Buckwheat flour is also a GOOD source of nutrients like protein, fibre, iron, carbs, manganese & thiamine!
- BUT WHAT IS MANGANESE? Basically, it makes up a component of several enzymes, INCLUDING those needed to convert food into energy & antioxidant enzymes (which is a class of enzymes that quashes harmful free radicals in order to prevent cell damages). OH & BEST PART? MANGANESE ALSO HELPS MAKES COLLAGEN, which is a protein required for wound healing & maintaining healthy cartilage & bone!!
WARNING!! If & when you add soba noodles to your diet, IT IS ESSENTIAL for you to look at all the ingredients. In other words, don’t just assume that soba noodles are ALWAYS made with 100% buckwheat. In fact, a lot of the ones sold contain regular flour or half refined flour & half buckwheat flour, which means, you may not be getting all the benefits you were hoping for! SO BABES, READ YOUR LABELS & MAKE SURE THE FIRST INGREDIENT IS BUCKWHEAT FLOUR, ALWAYS!
& LAST BUT NOT LEAST, DON’T eat soba noodles every night (I mean, you’d get bored anyways, right? I WOULD. I NEED TO CHANGE IT UP). No, but seriously, they do have a relatively high glycemic load (which, by the way, takes into account a food’s carb content, as well as how quickly the food increases blood sugar levels after consumption), therefore, it’s best to eat these babes in moderation. OH & WHEN YOU DO, top the babes with LOTS OF PROTEIN & NUTRIENT-RICH VEGGIES (UH, that’s exactly what I did #champion).
P.S. These babies can be eaten HOT OR COLD! (This recipe uses them HAWT, but there are tons of recipes out there for soba noodle bowls & salads, where I personally believe they would be better eaten cold! Maybe I’ll try one of those one of these days! Who’s into it?). FEEDBACK, PEOPLE!
OKAY, RANT OVER. NOW, let’s attack the nitty-gritty. I hear your stomachs growling from here… BUT HOW HUNGRY ARE YOU? You ready? LET’S GO.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Once boiled, add the soba noodles & give them a quick stir to make sure they are all covered in the water. Let the water return to a boil & then REDUCE THE HEAT TO KEEP THE WATER AT A SIMMER. Follow your noodles’ package directions & let the babes cook for the time indicated (Usually, it takes between 5 and 8 minutes for these babes to be PERF – SET YOUR TIMERS!). FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIVES, THESE BABIES DO NOT NEED TO BE AL DENTÉ. Basically, they need to be FULLY COOKED, but, MAKE SURE THAT THEY DO NOT GET MUSHY. You know what all this means, right? WATCH YOUR SOBAS. CARE FOR YOUR SOBAS. LOVE YOUR SOBAS.
- When the noodles are boiled, drain them in a colander & dump the babes into a bowl of cold water! Set them aside FOR NOW.
- NOW, MY LOVES, MAKE ‘DAT PERFECT SAUCE. YOU READDDDDY? Combine the soy sauce/Tamari, toasted sesame oil, honey, fish sauce, rice vinegar, minced garlic, ground ginger, garlic powder, curry powder, onion powder & smoked paprika in a bowl & WHISK ALL THESE BEAUTZ INGREDIENTS TOGETHER UNTIL FULLY COMBINED & PERFECT SAUCE CONSISTENCY IS OBTAINED!
- In a medium skillet, heat your garlic over MEDIUM HEAT. Once heated & FRAGRANT AF (KITCH. SMELLS. GARLIC HEAVEN. SPEECHLESS. BYE), add your bok choy & Portobello mushrooms & season the babes with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, onion powder & garlic powder. Sauté this beautifulness until the bok choy is wilted & cooked through & until the portobellos are browned, beautiful & YOUR KITCHEN SMELLS LIKE MUSHROOM HEAVEN.
- Once your veggies are cooked through & beautiful & browned & IMPOSSIBLE TO RESIST EFFFFF, add your chicken breast to the skillet to reheat it & MIX TO COMBINE WITH THE VEGGIES!
- NOW, my loves… THE FUN PART; THE PART WHERE EVERYTHING COMES TOGETHER AS ONE BEAUTIFUL AF DISH. ADD YOUR SOBAS TO THE SKILLET. Pour the beautiful sauce over your NOODLES, VEGGIES & CHICKEN and sauté this WONDERFULNESS for 3-4 minutes.
- DRIZZLE THE DRIED PARSLEY FLAKES & SOME ‘MO CURRY POWDER over all this yumminess & sauté for another 2-3 minutes!
- REMOVE your skillet from the heat… PLATE YOUR BABE & drizzle some freshly chopped cilantro ALL OVER YOUR BABY & BOOM. BAM. VOILÁ. JUST LIKE THAT, DINS IS READY. I BROUGHT YOU TO HEAVEN. YOUR KITCH SMELLS LIKE HEAVEN. YOU NO LONGER HAVE ANY PREP TO DO… oh but, YOUR KITCH IS UPSIDE DOWN. So get cleaning, my loves!!!!! (AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO CANNOT EAT DINS IF THE KITCH IS A MESS?);
- NOW THAT YOU’VE CLEANED YOUR KITCH (UHHH, who are we kidding? You so did not. Mostly because it took WAY TOO MUCH OF YOU to try to RESIST devouring this baby STAT, so you devoured her first). BASICALLY, DEVOUR NOW. CLEANUP LATER. You dig?
OH & LAST, but CERTAINLY, NOT LEAST. FOOD PORN!!!!