Hi lovies!! <3 <3 <3
Rise & shine! Happy Monday (Well, as happy as Monday could be!!!) It’s 5:07am & I’m about to continue sharing last night’s SUNDAY, FUNDAY meal prep with y’all!
Who else freaking LOVES green peas? I mean, yeah, they’re just ANOTHER GREEN VEGGIE (& Lord knows, I LOVE MY GREEN VEGGIES), but there’s just something about these cute little round balls of YUMMINESS that gets me going. They’re like the perfect balance between feeling like you’re eating a healthy veggie (WHICH, by the way, YOU ARE!), all while having this naturally sweet taste that you would not necessarily get from cruciferous green veggies. It’s like… THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. Ya feel me?
OH, & of course, when you combine that beautifully natural sweetness with some sautéed garlic & sweet white onion, THINGS ONLY TURN UP FROM THERE. And, well, I DID JUST THAT. GOTTA HAND IT TO MY MAMA. This one is totz inspired by her “petits pois” recipe, which was LEGIT A FAVE. So, thank you mommy, not only for being like THE. BEST. COOK. EVER., but also for letting me spend TONS OF (the best) NIGHTS with you in the kitch, watching you cook up a storm. Little did you know I was taking CRAY-CRAY MENTAL NOTES of all the wonderfulness you whipped up & today, I SHARE IT WITH THE WORLD. How lucky are you guys though? Oh, you have no idea.
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Perfectly-Crisp Green Peas Sautéed in Browned White Onion, Fresh Garlic & Spices for Dayz a.k.a. Les-Petits-Pois-de-Maman-‘Nuff-Said. The babes are going to take you to GREEN PEA HEAVEN. THEY ARE ÜBER SIMPEL TO WHIP UP, SUPER-DUPER-CLEAN-&-HEALTHY, completely GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN & simply DELISH!
BEFORE WE DELVE INTO THE NITTY-GRITTY, you know exactly what time it is!!!!! IN CASE YOU DON’T, let me remind you. NUTRITION-101 WITH KELLY IN THE KITCH & today, we talk about, THE CUTE LITTLE WONDERFULNESS THAT IS: GREEN PEAS!
- The babes are FULL of protein, fibre & micro-nutrients (such as: vitamin K, manganese, vitamin B1, copper, phosphorus, folate, vitamin B6, magnesium, iron, potassium & choline) (#winning).
- Peas contain high amounts of health-protective polyphenol called coumestrol, which can actually help prevent stomach cancer. WOAH!
- Peas contain very high levels of none other than ANTIOXIDANTS. THIS MEANS THEY HELP WITH ANTI-AGING, STRENGTHENING IMMUNE SYSTEM & INCREASING ENERGY LEVELS (Some of the antioxidants these munchkins contain are flavonoids, carotenoid, phenolic acids & polyphenols).
- Peas have TONS OF ANTI-INFLAMMATORY properties, which means they can help prevent wrinkles, Alzheimer’s, arthritis, bronchitis, osteoporosis, candida, heart disease, cancer & aging in general. OKAY, THEY ARE TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, RIGHT?
- These babes can also help with blood sugar regulation. Basically, because they are so high in fibre & protein, this slows down how fast sugars are digested by the bod. ALSO, the antioxidants & anti-inflammatory properties of these babes prevent or reverse insulin resistance.
- ALL THE CARBS contained in these munchkins are NATURAL SUGARS & STARCHES, with NO WHITE OR REFINED SUGARS OR CHEMICALS. Another case of #winning.
- FIBRE = GOOD FOR DIGESTION. BYE.
- One cup of peas contains 44% of the RDV of Vitamin K, which helps to anchor calcium inside the bones & its B vitamins help prevent osteoporosis. BASICALLY, EAT GREEN PEAS FOR HEALTHY BONES!
- Last but not least, green peas can also help reduce BAD CHOLESTEROL, due to its niacin content.
- DID I MENTION HOW DELISH THEY ARE? (OKAY, it’s not really a nutritional benefit, but whatevz. STILL HAD TO MENTION IT, KAY?).
OKAY, I’M DONE. SEE, THAT WASN’T SO BAD. Plus, don’t lie. I know you learned something. EVEN I DID. DID YOU? Admit it. Do not lie to me. OKAY, LET’S GET TO THE NITTY-GRITTY.
My loves, ALL YOU NEED IS (LOVE & GREEN PEAS!). No, but seriously, this ingredients list is SO SIMPLE (not to mention, SUPA SHORT). You’re going to love me. LISTEN UP:
- 250g of organic green peas, frozen;
- 2 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil (I use Maison Orphée);
- 1 medium sweet white onion;
- 3 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 tsp. of onion powder;
- 1 tsp. of cumin;
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- ½ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- ½ tsp. of organic Himalayan pink sea salt;
THAT’S ALL, YES. Can it get any simpler? Healthier? Cleanier? YUMMIER? Nope! My loves, like a few of my other recipes (I DID SAY A FEW), this babe is another example of why sometimes SIMPLE IS BETTER! LET ME EXPLAIN. All you gotta do for THE STARS TO BECOME PERFECTLY ALIGNED, A.K.A. TO WHIP UP THIS BEAUTIFULNESS is the following:
- Heat the 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet on MEDIUM HEAT.
- Once heated, add your garlic & SAUTÉ UNTIL FRAGRANT (You all know that fragrant is equated with WHEN YOUR KITCH STARTS TO SMELL LIKE GARLIC HEAVEN, RIGHT?).
- Once the garlic is fragrant, add your onion to the skillet & sauté for about 5 minutes (UNTIL IT BECOMES BROWNED & TRANSCLUCENT);
- Basically, at this point, your total self-control levels will DIP & by “DIP”, I MEAN, “Be severely reduced”. SO BEWARE, MY LOVES! RESIST TEMPTATION. DO NOT EAT THE ONION OUT OF THE SKILLET. YOUR PEAS NEED ‘DEM ONIONS, KAY? Plus, the onion is like REALLY, REALLY hot at this point. IT’s on FIYA.
- Once your onion is browned, add your cute-little-green-round-munchkins, OOPS, I MEAN GREEN PEAS, to the skillet & lower the heat to MEDIUM-LOW. Sauté these babies, STIRRING OFTEN, until they are SLIGHTLY soft, but still JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF CRUNCHY (OKAY, my loves, this part requires you to be the judge, BUT ALSO REQUIRES FOCUS. You really need to keep a GOOD & FULL EYE ON YOUR PEAS. That means that you SHOULD NOT be doing anything else while the babes are cooking. I’m serious. I don’t know about you, but this recipe is no GREEN PEA MASH. It’s SAUTÉED GREEN PEAS, which means, we still want them peas to preserve that beautiful & rich & crispy texture. RIGHT? I mean, unless you were going for green pea mash – if so, feel free to do 190528402859 other things while the babies cook, but don’t call me crying later to tell me you FAILED (OK, that was rude. BUT YOU CATCH MY DRIFT, RIGHT?).
- BTW, in case you were wondering, to cook these munchkins to perfection, it took about 8-10 minutes for me! BUT, BUT, BUT, AS ALWAYS, WATCH YOUR PEAS. LOVE YOUR PEAS. CARE FOR YOUR PEAS. (They are SO FREAKING CUTE, I don’t even see how you could justify not doing so!).
- Remove your skillet from the heat & allow the little munchkins to cool for a few minutes BEFORE DIGGING THE EFF IN. Or well, whom are we kidding? DIG IN RIGHT AWAY. But, DON’T BURN YOUR TONGUES! I AM NOT LIABLE. Got it? GOOD.
OH & FOOD PORN!!!:
ENJOY LOVIES!!! <3 <3 XOXO!