Perfectly-Oven-Roasted Cauli-Steaks in a Lemon-y, Garlick-y, Maple-y & Cumin-y Sauce on a Bed of Garlic Sautéed Rapini with a Side of Warm Goat Cheese a.k.a. The-Best-of-All-Worlds-I’m-Talking-Cauli-Greens-&-Cheese-Oh-&-Did-Someone-Say-Steak?-What-Is-Steak?
Hi again lovies!!! <3 <3 <3
RISE & SHINE. It’s SUNDAY FUNDAY. You know what that means? IT MEANS, IT’S TIME TO HAVE FUN IN YOUR KITCH ON SUNDAY WITH KELLY’S RECIPES. How excited are you?!?! Before you get to that though, I just want to share a lil’ something with you (Well, actually, it’s not really a ‘lil something). IT’S SOMETHING FREAKING AWESOME. In fact, I am warning you that last night’s dins will have you MINDBLOWN. I’m serious. Ladies & gents, this is my take on Oven-Roasted Cauliflower Steaks (YES, the obsession is still VERY MUCH ALIVE. Actually, the obsession is MORE ALIVE THAN EVER BEFORE, btw!). GUYS, these babies WERE SO EFFING GOOD.
I will try to describe them for you to the very best of my ability, but the best way for us to be on the same page is if you whip these babies up yourselves! Anywho, let me convince you first (As if you still needed convincing after seeing how FREAKING-ABSOLUTELY-POSITIVELY-INCREDIBLY-WOW-GORGEOUS the babes are.
BUT, JUST IN CASE YOU’RE PLAYING HARD TO GET, THINK: Beautifully-crunchy fresh cauliflower seasoned with a lemon, garlic, maple & cumin sauce, topped with LOADS of dried herbs, roasted to perfection, on a bed of garlic sautéed rapini with a side of warm fine herb & garlic goat cheese. I am drooling at the mere thought of these & I JUST HAD THEM LAST NIGHT, ERGO, LESS THAN 24 HOURS AGO!!! You know what that means, right? I. WANT. NO. I. NEED. MORE. They are so delicious, they will MAKE YOU FORGET THAT ALL THAT REAL-RED-MEAT-STUFF even EXISTS.
LADIES & GENTS, it’s that MAGICAL moment where I reveal all the deets about these babes. ADMIT YOU ARE TRIPPING. Okay, I present you with my Perfectly-Oven-Roasted Cauli-Steaks in a Lemon-y, Garlick-y, Maple-y & Cumin-y Sauce on a Bed of Garlic Sautéed Rapini with a Side of Warm Goat Cheese a.k.a. The-Best-of-All-Worlds-I’m-Talking-Cauli-Greens-&-Cheese-Oh-&-Did-Someone-Say-Steak?-What-Is-Steak? (YES I KNOW, LONG NAME, BUT AMAZING RESULTS!).
OKAY. BEFORE WE GET INTO THE NITTY-GRITTY, let’s blitz through NUTRITION-101 WITH KELLY IN THE KITCH. & Today, we talk: CAULIFLOWER!!!!! (TBH, I DON’T EVEN NEED TO BE CONVINCED TO EAT THIS BABY BECAUSE IT’S NOURISHING… I simply absolutely ADORE it. But, I mean… if it comes with a nutritional punch too, WHY NOT? (It’s that whole “two birds, one stone” thing again. I’m getting so good at it, right? HEY, a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do). OK, SO LET ME BREAK IT DOWN FOR YOU:
- Cauliflower is a great source of fibre, omega-3 fatty acids, folate, manganese, phosphorus, biotin, vitamins C (contains 77% of the RDV), K, B1, B2, B3, potassium, magnesium & protein. WOOOOOAH. Way too much to handle right now, you?
- She is SO VERSATILE. You can eat it raw or boiled, add it to salads, make cauli-rice, cauli-mash, cauli-pizza-crust, cauli-cheesy-pasta-sauce, cauli-fritters, cauli-tabbouleh, CAULI-EVERYTHING. The possibilities are BASICALLY endless.
- Cauli is actually a SUPERFOOD!!!!!
- The babe contains sulforaphane, which is a sulphur compound that has been shown to kill cancer stem cells, thereby slowing tumour growth!
- OKAY, the same sulphur compound can also help improve blood pressure & kidney function!!!
- ONE OF MY FAVE BENEFITS: Cauli is an anti-inflammatory. POINT FINAL. ‘NUFF SAID.
- Cauli can help boost your brain health (Due to its choline content!!!!);
- ANOTHER ONE OF MY FAVE BENEFITS: DETOXIFICATION SUPPORT! It contains antioxidants & sulphur-containing nutrients that are important for activating detox enzymes.
- OH FIBRE, FIBRE, FIBRE. HOW MUCH DO I LOVE YOU? Basically, the babe is AMAZING for DIGESTIVE HEALTH!
- THE BABE IS LOADED, PACKED, FULL of ANTIOXIDANTS. Basically, eating cauli is like winning the antioxidant lottery. Its antioxidant benefits will help your body resist aging caused by everyday exposure to pollutants, chronic stress & more! BASICALLY, ANTIOXIDANTS GET RID OF FREE RADICALS & CAULI CONTAINS TONS OF ANTIOXIDANTS, SO LOAD THE EFF UP.
OKAY, you for sure did not know cauli was THIS healthy & good-for-you. So, be happy. I taught you something. On a Sunday morning. Winning at life, you? NOW that I’ve blitzed through (Or rather, RANTED THROUGH) the zillions of benefits of one of my fave veggies ever, LET’S GET DOWN TO THE DIRT.
MY LOVES, You will need:
FOR THE CAULI-STEAKS:
- 1 large head of cauliflower, SLICED LENGTHWISE through the core into four “steaks”;
- ¼ cup of organic extra-virgin olive oil (I use Maison Orphée);
- 3 tsp. of soy sauce, Tamari or soy sauce substitute (I use Naked Coconuts Soy Sauce Substitute or SAN J Gluten-Free Soy Sauce);
- 1 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice;
- 2 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup;
- 3 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder;
- ¼ tsp. of smoked paprika;
- ½ tsp. of dried oregano;
- ½ tsp. of dried parsley flakes;
- ½ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt for seasoning;
- Hi, I use Simply Organic! You?
- 3 tbsp. of Parm/Romano/Nutritional yeast for garnish;
- 200g of organic goat cheese;
- OPTIONAL: A pinch of red pepper flakes AND/OR more olive oil or spicy olive oil for garnish!
FOR THE RAPINI:
- 200g of rapini, STEMS TRIMMED;
- 1 tsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil;
- 2 cloves of garlic, MINCED (Yes, I’m aware. You already used 3 cloves, BUT YOU NEED MORE, OKAY?);
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder;
- ½ tsp. of onion powder;
- ¼ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- Organic Himalayan pink se salt for seasoning;
- Preheat your oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper;
- Place your cauli-steaks on the prepared baking sheet (KAY, but how cute are they?).
- WHISK THE EFF the olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, maple syrup, garlic, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano, dried parsley flakes & freshly ground black pepper in a bowl. Brush ½ the mixture over the tops of the cauli-steaks.
- Roast the BABES (Oops, I mean “steaks”) in the preheated oven for 15 MINUTES.
- At the 15-minute mark, GENTLY turn over each steak & brush with the remaining mixture! (GUYS, when I say gently, I do not say it lightly. Do you want your steaks to fall apart? This ain’t no TOUGH-&-STRONG-AF-REAL-RED-MEAT-STUFF. THIS IS CAULIFLOWER. SO CARE FOR IT. LOVE IT. & MOST OF ALL, BE GENTLE WITH IT. Continue roasting the babes until TENDERLY-GOLDEN-&-BEAUTIFUL!!! This should take about 15-20 minutes.
- While your babies are continuing to roast & your kitch smells like cauli-heaven & you are DYING at the mere thought of devouring the babes as soon as they are ready, prepare the garlic sautéed rapini!!!!! (Can you tell I love ma greens, but most importantly, that I ADORE MA RAPINI?).
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil (Do not forget to salt your water, my loves!!!!).
- Add the rapini to the boiling water, REDUCE THE HEAT TO MEDIUM & boil for 3 minutes.
- When your timer beeps & you want to SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD, heat the olive oil or the coconut oil in a small skillet. Once heated, add the garlic & sauté UNTIL FRAGRANT (KEYWORD FOR: SMELLS LIKE GARLIC HEAVEN IN YOUR KITCHEN).
- Add the rapini to the skillet & sauté over MEDIUM HEAT for 2-3 minutes & YOU’RE DONE BABY!!!!
- Remove the rapini from the heat & lay it on your serving dish (OKAY, how beautiful is this green veggie though? Like, as soon as it is boiled, it turns this BEAUTIFUL-GREEN-COLOR-THAT-MAKES-ME-JUST-WANT-TO-EAT-IT-STAT, you?).
- Once your cauli-steaks are ready, USE A LARGE SPATULA to gently remove the babies from the baking sheet and lay them on the bed of rapini!!! A.K.A. IT’S TIME TO PLATE THESE BABIES.
- GUYS, PLEASE BE VERY GENTLE. IF YOUR STEAKS BREAK, YOU WILL CRY & QUITE FRANKLY, I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR IT!!!!). Kay, that was rude. No, but seriously my loves, these babes are very fragile, so be very, very, very, very careful. YOU HAVE OFFICIALLY BEEN WARNED.
- Garnish your cauli-steaks with Parm/Romano/Nutritional yeast & OPTIONNALLY, some red pepper flakes, olive oil or spicy olive oil.
*DRUMROLL PLEASE*. FOOD PORN, ANYONE?!?!
ENJOY MY LOVES!!! <3 <3 xoxo!