Hi lovies!! <3 Fifth post of the day, waddup?
Today, I prepped a fresh batch of grilled chicken for the week & although I’m LEGIT obsessed with my Best Grilled Chicken Ever recipe (here), I decided to whip up a little something different! & Here I am, SHARING IT WITH YOU MUNCHKINS! (OH & by the way, this marinade is egg-free, refined-sugar free, nut-free, dairy-free, gluten-free & Paleo-friendly!!!!). Basically, this marinade is LIFE. & What better way to enjoy LIFE than to share it with those you love, right?
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Honey Mustard Cumin Grilled Chicken Marinade a.k.a. The-Perfect-Balance-Between-Sweet-&-Savoury-Oh-&-Grilled-Chicken-Always. She is PERFECTION.
BEFORE WE GET INTO THE NITTY-GRITTY DEETS, let’s talk logistics. I’ve mentioned it to you munchkins before, but for me, it’s all about TAKING THE TIME TO MARINATE THE CHICKEN BEFORE GRILLING IT. It’s so WORTH IT & I really find that it makes all the difference! I usually prepare my marinade in the morning/early afternoon & let the chicken sit in the fridge all day then grill it at night OR if I prep the marinade at night, I’ll let it sit in the fridge overnight & then grill it in the EARLY morning (a.k.a. at 5:30am, you?).
To whip up this babe of a marinade, you will need (OH. BTW, this will give you about 1/4 cup of marinade. If you are using more than 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts or thighs, make sure to increase the ingredient quantities!):
- 2 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil (I use Maison Orphée);
- 1 tbsp. of organic apple cider vinegar (I OBVS USE BRAGG’S!!!!);
- 1 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice;
- 1 tsp. of soy sauce/Tamari or soy sauce substitute (I use Naked Coconuts Soy-Sauce Substitute or SAN-J Gluten-Free Soy Sauce!);
- 1/4 cup of raw organic honey (I use Wild Country);
- 2 tbsp. of yellow mustard (You can totz. sub the yellow mustard for Dijon mustard if you prefer, but I find the combination of the yellow mustard with the cumin to be absolutely-positively-magically HEAVENLY, but to each their own, right?);
- 2 tbsp. of fresh basil, CHOPPED;
- 2 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 1 tbsp. of cumin (If you’re not a fan of cumin FOR WHATEVER INSANE REASON, you can totz. sub it for curry powder);
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder;
- ½ tsp. of smoked paprika;
- ½ tsp. of dried oregano;
- ½ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- ¼ tsp. of cayenne pepper;
- 1 tsp. of fine sea salt;
- OPTIONAL: If you want some spice, add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of chili flakes! DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT LIABLE IF IT RUINS YOUR CHICKEN BECAUSE YOUR MOUTH IS ON FIYA);
- 1-1 1/2 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, CUBED (I like to cube mine, but you can totz keep them whole if you prefer!);
- Organic extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil for greasing the pan before grilling these babes!
Now, I don’t think I need to tell you lovies how to whip up a marinade… I mean. ALL YOU NEED IS A BOWL & WHISK (OH & your 2 hands… but I thought you knew that already). KAY ANYWAY, just in case (& because I am awesome and I love you guys!):
- Make the wet rub a.k.a. place all the ingredients for the rub in a small bowl & WHISK THE EFF OUT OF THEM TO COMBINE!
- Place the cubed (or full breasts/thighs) chicken in a glass or ceramic dish or Ziploc & add the wet rub. Turn the chicken in the rub, MAKING SURE THAT ALL THE PIECES ARE EVENTLY & VERY WELL-COATED (This is crucial. We have been over this. No cube should be made jealous of another. Every cube deserves an equal amount of love, ergo, an equal amount of marinade, OKAY?).
- Before you are ready to cook the chicken, preheat your grill pan to MEDIUM HEAT (YES, again, I’m instructing you to cook on medium. NOBODY LIKES BURNT, RUBBERY CHICKEN, kay?);
- Grease the grill pan with some olive oil or coconut oil! Place the chicken on the pan & cook for approximately 5 to 7 minutes on each side, until NO PINK REMAINS in the centre (NOBODY LIKES RAW CHICKEN EITHER, kay?). Remove from the heat & BAM!
- Your chicken is ready to be devoured. You can either eat it immediately (MOST LIKELY GOING TO HAPPEN, EVEN IF YOU PLANNED TO SAVE IT FOR MEAL PREP) or store it in your refrigerator (BUT, ONLY ONCE IT’S COOLED OFF. But honestly, you most probably won’t get to this part of the recipe anyways… the chicken is probably all gone as we speak… NEXT TIME, MAKE A BIGGER BATCH!).
OH & FOOD PORN!!!:
Enjoy my loves!!! <3 <3 xoxo!