Kelly’s Vegan/Gluten-Free/Clean-Eating Mocha, Date & Cacao Spread a.k.a. When-Coffee-&-Chocolate-Are-Your-“Raisons-d’Être”-Oh-&-Natural-Sweetener-FTW
Hi my loves! <3 <3
UHHHH, SO THIS JUST HAPPENED. This MOCHA. DATE. &. CACAO. SPREAD. JUST CAME TO LIFE IN MY KITCH & well… now you’ve got me started. I don’t know about you munchkins, but coffee is my “raison d’être” every morning… my relationship with coffee is QUITE SERIOUS, let me tell you. It warms me up inside like NOTHING ELSE & gives me the kick I need to keep going… plus, IT TASTES EARTHY, BITTER AF, ROASTY & DELISH. OH, and I take my coffee black.
This BABE is date-based, which I LOVE because there is NO NEED to add any other refined or artificial sweetener. Usually, when using dates in recipes, they will often tell you to let the dates soak in HOT water for a few minutes so they can get MOIST & so that their outer skins can soften (BASICALLY, TO MAKE BLENDING EASIER). But… here… I actually BOILED THE DATES IN THE COFFEE for a few minutes before blending. GENIUS, right? Guys… you can see where this babe is going, right? The rest is mocha date & cacao spread history. Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s Vegan/Gluten-Free/Clean-Eating Mocha, Date & Cacao Spread a.k.a. When-Coffee-&-Chocolate-Are-Your-“Raisons-d’Être”-Oh-&-Natural-Sweetener-FTW.
THINK: Dates. Black coffee. Cacao powder. Coconut oil. Espresso powder. Vanilla. & a pinch of Sea salt! ARE YOU STILL ALIVE? ‘Cause I’m talking to you from heaven. I’d love if you could join me. Kinda getting bored up here… already finished the first batch of this babe & I find myself AT A LOSS FOR WORDS.
SPREAD THIS BABE ON ANYTHING – from crackers, to sprouted toast, to fruit, or even… BROWNIES. Use her as a topping for overnight oats, Greek yogurt or chia seed pudding! AHHHH, the possibilities are endless. You could also spoon her out of the Mason jar… & just eat her as is… you know… I swing that way, you? ANYWHO babies, MAKE THIS MOCHA SPREAD & hey, why not grab a cup of coffee too???
OH, by the way, this baby is… VEGAN, HEALTHY, CLEAN & GLUTEN-FREE. & Yes, this is reality (Just in case you were wondering… I know you were, BTW!). AND ONE MORE THING, one tablespoon of this baby will ring you in at 2 WHOLE GRAMS OF FIBRE. #winning. Can you tell I eat A HELL OF A LOT of fibre? Kay, well now you know!!!!
IF I HAVEN’T ALREADY CONVINCED YOU TO WHIP THIS BABE UP, then we have a little issue here… I am essentially providing you with a clean, healthy, naturally-sweetened & guilt-free NUTELLA SPREAD (ONLY BETTER!!!), SO APPRECIATE IT & MAKE IT. Okay? Right… I might need to tell you what ingredients you need to do so. Sorry, my mistake. HERE GOES, LOVIES!:
- 2 cups of organic Medjool dates, pitted (I used 15 large dates!). BTW, “PITTED” means “TAKE OUT THE PITS!!!“;
- 1 cup of black coffee (OBSESSED, you?);
- 1/2 cup of organic unsweetened cacao powder (I use Cuisine Camino organic cacao powder);
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil, MELTED (I use Nutiva, as if you didn’t already know!);
- 1 tsp. of ESPRESSO POWDER (or 2 tsp. of instant coffee);
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract (I use Simple Organic!);
- A pinch of sea salt!!!!!
NOW, HOW DO YOU WHIP THIS BABY UP?
- Combine the dates & coffee in a small saucepan over HIGH heat (My loves, this is one of the only times I will allow you to HEAT YOUR SAUCEPAN OVER HIGH HEAT. As you have seen, I swing MEDIUM).
- Bring to a boil & let boil for 1 minute!
- Turn off the heat & let stand for 5 minutes.
- Pour the date & coffee mixture into a FOOD PROCESSOR (A.K.A. MY BESTIE, you?) & puree this stuff until smooth, about 5 minutes! You will defs. need to stop & scrape the bowl down AS NEEDED!
- Add the remaining ingredients and puree another 2-3 minutes, scraping the bowl AGAIN, as needed! (You want to preserve as much of your spread as possible, right? SO SCRAPE THE F OUT OF THE BOWL, KAY?
- DEVOUR. (Guys, not gonna lie, I didn’t wait until this spread was READY to taste it… I mean, to take like TWO heaping tablespoons of it… I defs. tasted this baby every time I opened my food processor to scrape the bowl down (#guiltyascharged)… & LET ME TELL YOU, SHE IS FREAKING DELICIOUS AF. I CAN’T. I WANT TO DESCRIBE THE DELICIOUSNESS SO BADLY, BUT I CANNOT. You need to try it.
Ohhhh & FOOD PORN!!!
ENJOY & SPREAD THE EFFFFF OUT OF HER EVERYWHERE. Xoxo! <3 <3 <3