Hi lovies! <3
Hope you all had an amazing Wednesday! 🙂 If you didn’t, need I remind you that we are one step closer to the weekend? ADMIT I JUST MADE YOUR WEDNESDAY.
OKAY, so tonight’s dinner was INSPIRED BY NONE OTHER THAN BREAKY! I don’t know why, but I had this weird craving for something breakfast-like this afternoon so I put my (most-of-the-time) creative mind to work & THIS BABE OF AN IDEA WAS BORN & RAISED.
Ladies & gents, this is my Really, Really Shredded Brussels Sprouts, Mushroom, Roasted Sweet Potato & Ricotta Frittata a.k.a. Just-Had-Breaky-For-Dinner-&-I-Ain’t-Even-Mad-Bro. I gave a bit too much about this baby away on Insta ’cause I COULDN’T KEEP EVERYTHING FROM YOU MUNCHKINS FOR TOO LONG. I WAS SIMPLY TOO EXCITED & TOO TEMPTED TO SHARE.
ANYWHO, before we delve into the nitty-gritty of this baby, without further ado THINK: Fresh garlic, sweet white onion, mushrooms & shredded Brussels sautéed & seasoned with LOADS of spices (DUH. Have you met me?). Loads of smooth & creamy ricotta cheese. Protein-packed organic egg whites. Roasted sweet potatoes. & LOADS of fresh green herbs (I’m talking cilantro, parsley & basil… LIKE LEGIT, JUST THREW A TON IN THERE)…
NOW, in case you need EVEN MORE convincing: Each serving of this babe contains… wait for it:
A WHOPPING 30 GRAMS OF PROTEIN & 15 GRAMS OF FIBRE.
I know, you’re probably telling yourself that this cannot BE REAL. But, it is, I swear. I love you guys too much to lie to you.
ONE LAST THING! NUTRITION-101 WITH KELLY IN THE KITCH. #sorrynotsorry. Today, we talk about BRUSSELS!!!
- Brussels provide cholesterol-lowering benefits;
- Brussels are an important dietary source of many vitamin antioxidants, including vitamins C & A & manganese;
- Brussels help regulate the body’s inflammatory/anti-inflammatory system & prevent unwanted inflammation (due to its vitamin K content);
- Brussels contain omega-3 fatty acids – IN FACT, 1 1/2 cups of Brussels will provide approximately 480mg of omega-3 fatty kids, which is more than 1/3 of the daily recommended amount, COOL, right?;
- Brussels contain a whopping 4 GRAMS OF FIBRE per cup!!! A.K.A. Brussels are a NATURAL CHOICE FOR DIGESTIVE SYSTEM SUPPORT (HELL YES! I’LL TAKE IT! DETOX FOR THE WIN!);
- Brussels also help activate cancer-fighting enzyme systems in your body;
- Brussels may also help support heart health!;
- AMAZING SOURCE OF POTASSIUM, VITAMIN C & EVEN… PROTEIN!
OKAY, did you guys know that Brussels were THIS HEALTHY? I gotta admit that I didn’t until I did my research! I mean… I knew they were a green veggie & that they were probs. healthy, BUT, THIS HEALTHY?!?! WOAH!!!!
ANYWHO, I think I have convinced you ENOUGH at this point to whip this babe up. So, let’s get to the nitty-gritty (Finally, I know!!!). My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 8 organic egg whites (I used Burnbrae Farms);
- 1 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil (I use Maison Orphée);
- 2 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 1 medium sweet white onion, CHOPPED;
- 100g of white mushrooms, SLICED;
- 2 cups of REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SHREDDED Brussels sprouts (This part is annoying, I’ll admit it, but so WORTH IT!);
- 1/2 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1/2 tsp. of dried parsley flakes & more for seasoning!
- 1/2 tsp. of dried oregano;
- 1/4 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- 1/4 tsp. of organic Himalayan pink sea salt;
- 120g of ROASTED sweet potato (BEST STUFF EVER, LITERALLY)… like, why don’t we just ROAST all our veggies? THEY TASTE SO MUCH BETTER;
- 2 tbsp. of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- 2 tbsp. of fresh basil, CHOPPED;
- 2 tbsp. of parsley, CHOPPED;
- 75g of organic ricotta;
- OPTIONAL: 2 tbsp. of PARM/ROMANO/NUTRITIONAL YEAST and/or 1 tsp. of dried chilli flakes for some SPICE!
How beautiful are these ingredients though? Now, just imagine how beautiful they are when sautéed & combined to form this beauty that is THIS FRITTATA! (P.S. Am I the only one who freaking loves the word frittata? It gets me SO EXCITED!! Lawlz!). OKAY, so here’s how to combine this beautifulness, my loves!
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Heat up the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the garlic, onions, Brussesls & sauté over LOW HEAT (YES, MY LOVES, LOW HEAT. The goal here is a little something I like to refer to as THE CARAMELIZATION PROCESS), until the onions are soft & the Brussels begin to caramelize! (OMG… the sight of the caramelized Brussels. YOU. WILL. DIE.). Season these babies with the smoked paprika, garlic powder, parsley flakes, oregano, black pepper & sea salt.
- Once your onions & Brussels have reached HEAVENLY POINT, add the mushrooms, sweet potato, cilantro, basil & parsley, SEASON SOME ‘MO until all the veggies are perfectly browned & cooked!
- Flatten the veggie mixture in the bottom of your skillet & make sure the vegetables are EVENLY DISTRIBUTED.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan, and now… IT’S THAT TIME, sprinkle the babe that is the RICOTTAAAA all over the veggie & egg mixture & cook for about 1 minute, until you see the edges start to set.
- Place the skillet in the oven & bake until the eggs are set, about 15 minutes (BUT GUYS, THIS MAY VARY BASED ON YOUR OVEN, SO PLEASE, WATCH YOUR FRITTATA. CARE FOR YOUR FRITTATA. LOVE YOUR FRITTATA. YOUR FRITTATA IS GOOD TO YOU, SO BE GOOD TO IT <3 <3 <3, kay?).
- Once baked, DEVOUR THE EFF OUT OF THIS BABE & do so without an ounce of guilt (or worry about having to put on them fat pants – BASICALLY, THAT MEANS YOU WON’T NEED TO!!!).
Enjoy loves!! Xoxo!
Oh… did you really think I’d forget? NICE TRY. FOOOOD PORN, ALWAYS:
OKAY, NOW YOU GUYS CAN OFFICIALLY ENJOY!!! XOXO <3