Clean-Eating & Spiced Up Roasted Butternut Squash Soup a.k.a. On-A-Butternut-Squash-Cloud-&-She’s-Damn-Comfy-Staying-Here-Forever-Bye
Hi lovies! <3
OMG. OMG. OMG. I am speechless. This butternut squash soup has taken me to all kinds of heaven & to all kinds of clouds (I’m talking BUTTERNUT SQUASH CLOUDS). I’m dying here. This baby is PERFECTION. Ladies & gents, I present you with my Clean-Eating & Spiced Up Roasted Butternut Squash Soup a.k.a. On-A-Butternut-Squash-Cloud-&-She’s-Damn-Comfy-Staying-Here-Forever-Bye.
THINK: Oven-roasted butternut squash, celery, sweet white onion & carrot sautéed in coconut oil & seasoned with TONS OF SPICES (which I will totz reveal below, but for now, salivate at the thought of the combination of cumin with smoked paprika, garlic powder, cinnamon & chilli powder & DIE), vegetable broth & TONS of chopped fresh chives.
Besides all these beautiful ingredients, WHY IS THIS BABE SO AMAZING?
- SILKY & SMOOTH
- SWEET & SPICY
- CLEAN & HEALTHY
- COMPLETELY GUILT-FREE!
- JAM-PACKED with nutrient-rich veggies
- Makes for the PERFECT SIDE DISH with lunch or dins!
Top her with some dried parsley flakes, freshly ground pepper & some plain Greek yogurt & BAM! (That’s exactly what I had as a side with my lunch today & let me tell you my loves, I AM SITTING ON A BUTTERNUT SQUASH CLOUD IN HEAVEN RIGHT NOW. It’s super comfy & I don’t think I’m coming back anytime soon!!!
- OH, RIGHT, BEST FOR LAST: Each ½ cup serving of this baby contains a WHOPPPPPING 2 GRAMS OF FIBRE. BASICALLY, you eat this & you are winning at LIFE. Heck, you’re winning at everything.
NOW, WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, I THINK I’VE TEASED YOU ENOUGH (I mean this baby has been up on my instagram account since this afternoon & I can just picture you staring at it wondering when I’m going to come around with this post. WELL, HERE I AM, DELIVERING AGAIN. I just love you guys. KAY, declaration of love & rant OVER.
INTO THE NITTY-GRITTY. My loves, you will need:
- 1½ pounds of butternut squash (ONLY THE BEST VEGGIE EVER, right? Please tell me you agree & we can be best friends forever & ever)!;
- 2 tbsp. of organic coconut oil (I use Nutiva);
- 2 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 2 stalks of celery, CHOPPED (Yes, my loves, there is some chopping & dicing involved in this one, but as always, WELL WORTH IT, promise!);
- 1 white sweet onion, DICED;
- 1 carrot, CHOPPED;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- ½ tsp. of ground chipotle chilli powder;
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder;
- ½ tsp. of smoked paprika;
- ¼ tsp. of cinnamon;
- ½ tsp. of onion powder;
- ½ tsp. of organic Himalayan pink sea salt;
- ¼ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- LOTS OF SPICES, I KNOW. BUT SO FREAKING NECESSARY.
- P.S. As if you didn’t already know, I use Simply Organic!
- 6 cups of organic vegetable broth;
- 2 tbsp. of fresh chives, CHOPPED;
- ¼ cup of plain Greek yogurt & drizzles of dried parsley flakes (for serving);
That’s it lovies!! NOW, let’s talk about how to whip this baby up! It’s pretty SIMPLE. BUT, requires some waiting time, which could get annoying… especially when your kitch smells like BUTTERNUT SQUASH HEAVEN & depending how HUNGRY, oops, I mean, HANGRY, you are!!!! LET ME EXPLAIN.
- Preheat your oven to 350F;
- Cut your butternut squash in half (HONESTLY, GOOD LUCK WITH THIS ONE LOVIES. MY BUTTERNUT SQUASH WAS BIGGER THAN MY HEAD & took me ten minutes to cut open… LEGIT, why does something that tastes so good have to be so hard to manoeuvre? I’m annoyed. Or well, I was annoyed. Now that the soup is ready, I AM HAPPIER THAN EVER).
- If you do somehow succeed at cutting her in half, remove the seeds.
- Place the butternut squash halves on a baking sheet, CUT-SIDE DOWN. Bake the babes until tender when pierced with a knife, about 45 minutes to an hour! (I checked mine at the 45 minute mark and they were still a bit hard so I put them in for an extra ten minutes & it was PERF, SO MY BAKE TIME: 55 MINUTES. Yes, I’m a lawyer, but I can still do some basic math, ya feel me?).
- Scoop out the flesh when the babes are cool enough to handle (DO NOT try to scoop it out as soon as the babes come out ‘da oven, unless you want to burn yourself. If so, then GO AHEAD. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED).
BEST WAY TO SCOOP OUT YOUR BUTTERNUT SQUASH FLESH? … AN ICE-CREAM SCOOOOOPER!
- Heat 2 tbsp. of coconut oil in a large saucepan over MEDIUM HEAT. Add the garlic, celery, onion & carrot & stir to coat! Reduce the heat to MEDIUM-LOW & cook these babies, stirring frequently, until they are soft (This should take about 8-10 minutes!).
- Once your veggies are softened, stir in the squash flesh (MMMMMMMM, so mushy & moist) & season EVERYTHING with the cumin, chilli powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cinnamon, onion powder, sea salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- NOW THAT THE VEGGIES ARE PERFECTLY SEASONED, add in the veggie broth & SIMMER, COVERED, until the veggies are VERY, VERY TENDER. This should take about 25 minutes (I know my loves, the wait is killing you, BUT I PROMISE, IT’S WORTH IT!).
- PUREE the soup with either an immersion blender (a.k.a. hand blender) or a regular blender (I used my Breville Boss. DUH! When do I not?). Season with some ‘mo salt & peppa & throw in the chives!
- Before serving, top the soup with ¼ cup of Greek yogurt & a sprinkle of dried parsley flakes & DEVOURRRRRR.
Guys, this soup is SO CLEAN & HEALTHY & GOOD-FOR-YOU that you can literally have AS MUCH AS YOU WANT without feeling like you just consumed an entire carton of cream in your soup… wanna know why? ‘CAUSE THERE’S NO DAIRY IN THIS BABY. She’s simple, yet delicious & you will feel great, before, DURING (ESPECIALLY) & after eating her, ooops I mean, after LICKING YOUR BOWL!!!
P.S. I don’t know about you guys, but when I make big batches of soup like this, I like to store them in my fridge in mason jars! I find they stay the most fresh that way & are super easy to pour! Just a little suggestion & totz won’t be offended if you do not listen to me. OKAY, fine, maybe I will be… a bit.
Enjoy my loves!!! <3
OH & FOOD PORN:
ENJOY (For real this time!!!) Bye!!