Spinach, Smoked Turkey, Roasted Sweet Potato & Sun-Dried Tomato Salad in a Yellow Mustard Vinaigrette a.k.a. Kelly’s-Take-On-Your-Classic-Deli-Sandwich-(Only-Better)
Hi lovies! <3 <3
Happy Wednesday 🙂 You know what that means… it’s the middle of the week & we’re one step closer to the WEEKEND! #hellyes #winning.
On this gloooomy Wendesday afternoon, I whipped up another ULTIMATE. SALAD. GOALS. & YET AGAIN, she was FREAKING DELISH. This baby is a take on your CLASSIC DELI SANDWICCH, only she’s WAY HEALTHIER, WAY CLEANER & HONESTLY, WAY YUMMIER (SWEAR!).
What’s in her, you ask? OKAY, listen up lovies. THINK: Crispy fresh spinach. Crunchy, yet juicy cherry tomatoes. Organic sundried tomatoes. Chopped cucumber & red onion. Sliced strawberries. Roasted sweet potato. Sliced bell peppers. Chopped up smoked turkey slices. TONS of cilantro. TONS of parsley. NUTRITIONAL YEAST (A.K.A. dat Vegan Parm), all tossed in a yellow mustard vinaigrette (NO, munchkins, for once, I did not use Dijon!)… ZOMFG. OKAY, so admit you rather eat this bowl of wonderfulness over that loaded-with-sodium deli sandwich? Okay fine, maybe you wouldn’t choose this salad over the deli sandwich EVERY SINGLE TIME (‘cause we all need to cheat once in a while!), BUT SERIOUSLY, THIS BABY IS AS CLOSE AS IT GETS. I SWEAR. You just might have to try her.
What’s so good about her though?
- She packs a WHOLE 18 grams of protein & 18 grams of fibre. LEGIT, CAN’T STOP, WON’T STOP.
- This baby is guaranteed to keep you full until that mid-afternoon snack (BTW, I’m taking suggestions/recipe requests for snacks, so take advantage of this one lovies!).
- She’s packed with TONS of veggies that contain good-for-you & ÜBER NECESSARY nutrients to keep you going all day long!
- The vinaigrette is just ON ANOTHER LEVEL.
OKAY, now that I’ve convinced you that she’s WORTH YOUR TIME IN THE KITCH (a.k.a. you’ve decided that you won’t be lazy, you will pause Netflix & you will make this baby… which, by the way, YOU WILL NOT REGRET), let’s delve into the nitty-gritty.
My loves, you will need:
FOR THE DELI-SANDWICH, oops I mean, THE SALAD:
- 200g of spinach;
- 150g of cherry tomatoes, HALVED;
- 1/2 cup of organic sun-dried tomatoes, CHOPPED (Am I the only one who LOVES sun-dried tomatoes in salads? I find it can LEGIT make your salad shine!!!);
- 80g of cucumber, CHOPPED;
- 80g of bell peppers, CHOPPED;
- 100g of roasted sweet potato (I roast these babies the same way I roast my butternut squash & I usually do it in advance if I know I’m going to be using them in my lunch or dins! RECIPE HERE);
- 1 medium red onion, CHOPPED;
- 1/2 cup of strawberries, SLICED;
- 2 tbsp. of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- 2 tbsp. of fresh parsley, CHOPPED;
- 75g of organic ricotta (GUYS, if you haven’t noticed, I’ve legit developed an obsession with ricotta & also recently discovered that it’s actually super good-for-you too!! SO LOAD UP! I give you permission, kay?);
- 6 slices of smoked turkey, CHOPPED;
- 3 tbsp. of Parm/Romano or nutritional yeast (Vegan option);
I know my loves, I should’ve apologized (& WARNED YOU) in advance. THERE IS A LOT OF CHOPPING, HALVING, SLICING TO PUT THIS BABE TOGETHER, but I promise you it will be worth it! TAKE MY WORD, PLEASE!
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/2 cup of organic extra-virgin olive oil (I use Maison Orphée);
- 2 tbsp. of white wine vinegar (I use Spectrum organic white wine vinegar);
- 1 tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice;
- 1 1/2 tsp. of yellow mustard;
- 1 tsp. of raw organic honey (I use Wild Country brand)
- KAY, BUT WHO ELSE LEGIT MELTS AT THE COMBINATION OF HONEY & MUSTARD? Please tell me that one of you are on the same page as me!!!
- 1/2 tsp. of mayo (or vegan mayo!) (I use Spectrum organic mayo!);
- 1/4 tsp. of sea salt;
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1/2 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- 1/4 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- I use Simply Organic! (BUT YOU GUYS ALREADY KNEW THAT, Right? I think I’ve told you enough times…);
- 1 garlic clove, MINCED.
OKAY, now to combine all this deliciousness to create this BABE-OF-A-SALAD-THAT-WILL-LEGIT-MAKE-YOU-FEEL-LIKE-YOU-ARE-EATING-A-DELI-SANDWICH… here goes lovies!:
- ROAST your sweet potatoes according to this RECIPE. If you already have some of these babies (or butternut squash) roasted & refrigerated, SKIP THIS STEP! #WINNING!;
- In a LARGE bowl (Make sure your bowl is actually LARGE. You will need room to mix lovies!), combine all the other chopped veggies, strawberries & herbs, turkey, sundried tomatoes & ricotta with the spinach;
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all the (BEAUTIFUL) dressing ingredients until fully combined! GUYS, the YELLOW MUSTARD IS EVERYTHING – IT AIN’T A DELI SALAD WITHOUT THE MUSTARD, SO LOAD UP!;
- POUR THE BEAUTIFUL, MUSTARD-Y-HONEY-Y-SWEET-&-SAVOURY DRESSING OVER THE SALAD ET VOILÁ! DEVOUR. (P.S. May I suggest doubling your batch so you don’t call me crying when you realize you have none left to take for lunch to work tomorrow? Thanks! Love you!).
WAIT FOR IT. IT’S THAT TIME. FOOD PORN:
Enjoy my loves!! Xoxo <3