Hi my loves! <3 <3
Hope you all had a good start to your week! If you didn’t, perhaps this EGG MASH will give you that little end-of-day boost that you so badly need! (That’s if you’re into eggs & stuff… IF NOT, BYE! Okay, fine, that was rude. I’m kidding. I still love you. But if you’re not into eggs, this baby might not be for you!).
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly in the Kitch’s Egg Mash a.k.a. The-Best-Ever-(&-Only)-Protein-&-Veggie-Packed-Lunch-You-Will-Ever-Devour. THINK: Egg whites. Sautéed bell peppers, white sweet onion, cherry tomatoes, spinach, garlic & fresh parsley seasoned with smoked paprika, freshly ground black pepper, chilli powder, garlic powder & a sprinkle of sea salt… ALL THIS, COMBINED WITH CREAMY & SMOOTH ORGANIC RICOTTA CHEEEEEZE (I mean… I don’t know if you realized but almost all my recipes contain cheeese or some cheesy alternative, I’m legit obsessed & don’t know how I ever gave all of this up. I’m tripping!!! EFF YOU ANOREXIA. BYE!) & then… ALL MASHED UP to create this beautiful-wonderful-incredible-sexy-gawgeous-delish egg mash. Guys, I had a hard time resisting her while I took my pics… No joke, like, I may have taken a bite or two then, rearranged the plate. As we say in French, “NI VU, NI CONNU”, a.k.a. “What you don’t see can’t hurt you”, babies (Oh, but, wait, I just confessed). KAY, NEVER MIND. RANT OVER.
I just want to discuss the nutritional punch of this baby before we get into the nitty-gritty. Hope you lovebugs don’t mind! I mean, one thing I’ve discovered throughout my journey towards recovery is that I absolutely LOVE & VALUE knowing exactly what is going into my body & that’s (well, one of the reasons) why I’ve developed such a LOVE for all this homemade stuff, not to mention, BECAUSE I JUST LOVE FOOD. PERIOD.
- BASICALLY, egg whites are LOADED WITH PROTEIN, so this is the perfect lunch for those long days at work when you have no time to snack in between your meals & don’t want to end up a HANGRY B* when the clock rolls around 3:00PM.
- Not only is this baby LOADED WITH PROTEIN, but she also CONTAINS TONS OF VEGGIES THAT CONTAIN TONS OF VALUABLE (AND, VERY NECESSARY) NUTRIENTS to keep you going all day long! I’m talking potassium, protein, Vitamin A, C, E & K, fibre & calcium from the spinach, Vitamin A & antioxidants from the tomatoes & Vitamin C from the bell peppers, as well as beta-carotene, which lavishes you babes with antioxidant & anti-inflammatory benefits (#winning). I CAN GO ON FOR DAYS, MY LOVES. BUT I WILL SPARE YOU. I think that gives you a wonderful overview & should convince you, AT THIS POINT, to start whipping this baby up. IF NOT, bye!
OKAY, OKAY, FINE. At this point, you’re probs getting hungry, so I’ll shaddap FOR NOW & tell you what you need to whip up this wonderfulness. It’s pretty simple, my loves! HERE GOES:
- 8 egg whites;
- 2 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil or organic coconut oil;
- 2 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 1 large sweet white onion, CHOPPED FINELY;
- 200g of spinach (My love… Oh, how I’ve missed you. I know I’ve been chilling with kale quite often lately, but honestly, it really meant nothing… like you’re still my NUMBER ONE!);
- 2 tbsp. of fresh parsley, CHOPPED;
- 2 pints of cherry tomatoes, HALVED;
- 120g of bell peppers, SLICED THINLY;
- ½ tsp. of smoked paprika;
- ¼ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- ¼ tsp. of chilli powder;
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder;
- ½ tsp. of dried oregano;
- a drizzle of sea salt (& more to taste, if you LOVE salt & stuff).
- 200g of organic ricotta cheese;
AND THAT’S A WRAP MY LOVES! I told you it was pretty simple. I mean… the only annoying part is all the chopping, halving, slicing & mincing I’m making you do, BUT AS ALWAYS, I promise you that it’s SO WORTH THE RIDE, literally.
OKAY, now, combine all this beautifulness & she’s ready. LAWLZ, just kidding!!! Obviously I’m going to give you guys the rundown because I’m just awesome like that! (If you beg to differ, sorry, but we can no longer be friends. PEACE! Ok wow, I’m being über rude tonight, sorry lovies, I love y’all!). OKAY, Here goes:
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil or coconut oil in a non-stick skillet over MEDIUM HEAT (No, NOT HIGH!);
- Once heated, add the garlic & onion to the skillet & sauté over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, until lightly browned & fragrant (a.k.a. UNTIL YOUR KITCH SMELLS LIKE HEAVEN & YOU’RE STARTING TO HAVE TROUBLE RESISTING);
- When both the garlic & onion are lightly browned & the onion looks translucent (a.k.a. fancy for TRANSPARENT), add the spinach, chopped parsley, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers & season the EFF out of these babies with the smoked paprika, pepper, chilli powder, garlic powder, oregano & salt. MAKE SURE ALL YOUR VEGGIES ARE EVENLY COATED (We’ve been over this. They should not feel jealous of one another, okay? SHOW THEM THE LOVE THAT THEY DESERVE, PLEASE & THANK YOU);
- Once all your veggies are browned, cooked through & look FREAKING DELISH (OH & not to mention, the GODLY smell in your kitch), flatten the veggie mixture so that it covers the bottom of your skillet entirely. Gently pour the egg whites over the veggie mixture & lower the heat to MEDIUM-LOW.
- Allow your egg whites to cook over the veggie mixture. Every now & then, tilt the pan towards you to allow the egg whites remaining at the top of your “MASH” to cook as well! (SEE, I EVEN HAVE YOU TILTING & DANCING IN THE KITCH – I’m freaking awesome, right? Admit you love me. NOW!);
- After a few minutes, sprinkle the ricotta all over your egg whites as they cook;
- Once your egg whites are cooked, use a large spatula to flip one side of the “MASH” over the other. NOW:
- You can either serve your babe like that (a.k.a. as an omelette) OR;
- You can MASH THE EFF OUT OF HER (like I did) & serve her as an egg white mash over toast, crackers, pita chips, OR SIMPLY AS IS! The choice is yours, my loves. BUT, CHOOSE WISELY. I was totz into the idea of a messy mash today, but whatever floats your boats. I ain’t judging you, OBVS. I never do!!
- Remove your babe of an omelette/MASH from the heat & drizzle with the other tbsp. of olive oil or coconut oil! SERVE IMMEDIATELY or refrigerate & warm her up before serving. This babe will last well in the fridge for up to 2 days, OKAY FINE, maximum 3, but in my opinion, she is best served FRESH OFF DA STOVE (Although meal preppin’ her still remains an option!);
- DEVOURRRRR! (P.S. One word of advice: You should totz make this when you’re home alone… YOU WILL NOT WANT TO SHARE IT WITH ANYONE & it’s so much easier not to share when nobody is around, right? BAHAHA, me so evil).
OH & FOOOOOOD PORN (OBVS):
How EGG-CELLENT IS THIS BABE? Lawlz, bon appétit, mes amours! Xx <3 <3 <3