Rise & shine lovies! Happy Saturday! (SaturYAY?!) <3
Cabage wraps, you sneaky little things you. You make me want to wrap veggies in the leaves of more veggies & top it all with more veggies. JUST KIDDING – I meant to say PEANUT SAUCE, but we’ll talk about that baby later! (In the meantime though, PLEASE FEEL FREE THINK ABOUT SAID PEANUT SAUCE & SALIVATE).
First things first, let’s talk VEGGIES WRAPPED IN VEGGIES. I will NOT lie to you & pretend it didn’t take kind of a long time to chop up all these beautiful veggies! BUT, YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF OVER & OVER AGAIN FOR ALL THE CHOPPING. In fact, to be precise, you will thank yourself TWELVE TIMES OVER because you will get 12 deliciously fresh, crispity, crunchity, rock-yours-socks off flavourful cabbage rolls out of this recipe (& YOU WILL BE BEGGING FOR MORE).
Can you imagine this perfection in your mouth right now????? Think soy sauce salty, lime juice tangy & bell pepper crunchy ALLLLL IN ONE AMAZING VEGGIE BOAT! Guys, I’m way toooo excited right now & these babies are just WAY TOO GOOD, not to mention how FREAKING BEAUTIFUL THEY ARE. Ladies & gents, I present you with my Thai Mahi-Mahi Green Cabbage Wraps with Sautéed Cremini Mushrooms, Bell Pepper, and Shredded Carrots, Loads of Herby Goodness Topped with Peanut Sauce a.k.a. In-Thailand-Maybe-Hangover-But-Defs-In-Food-Heaven-You?
Oh & don’t get me started about THE SAUCE. Oh well, I’m already started… Think: Garlic. Lime. Soy. Fish Sauce. Sesame oil. Honey & PEANUTS!!!!!! Legit, this sauce can make anything taste good!!!
Another thing we should discuss is CABBAGE (For a second, I swear!) In case you lovies haven’t already noticed, NO, these are NOT lettuce wraps. They are cabbage wraps & WOAH. BTW, I ain’t discriminating – You can totz. use lettuce if you want watery, tasteless rolls that fall apart after one bite… Kay WOAH, I’m kidding. I don’t want to hurt lettuce’s feelings & stuff… but like CABBAGE > LETTUCE.
ANYWHO, obvi I did my research about cabbage & well, let’s just say, CABBAGE IS SO FREAKING GOOD FOR YOU (I had no idea…). Why, you ask?
- Excellent source of Potassium (which, BTW, most of us unknowingly do not get enough of);
- Full of Vitamin C & Vitamin B6;
- FULL OF FIBRE (Yes, please, BRING IT ON!!!);
- Great source of folate;
- AMAZING for immunity & maintaining a healthy digestive tract (YES, PLEASE!!).
UHMMMM, BASICALLY, CABBAGE IS THE SH*T! Going back to my comment about how you can totz. use lettuce instead of cabbage for this recipe… I sit here wondering why, knowing HOW GOOD FOR YOU CABBAGE IS, anybody would choose boring old lettuce over this babe (UNLESS, of course, IT’S ALL YOU’VE GOT. At that point, my NO-WASTE-POLICY is in effect). OH & last thing, besides its MANY nutritional benefits, cabbage is STRONG ENOUGH (Is cabbage Superman?) to hold A TON of filling!!!!
My loves, all this to say, I hope you make these babes & enjoy them as much as I did. Yes, I do realize that in order to whip these babies up, I need to tell you what you need. SO LET’S GET TO IT!
FOR THE CABBAGE ROLL FILLING:
- 1 lb. of Mahi-Mahi (or any other white fish), CHOPPED. BTW, if you guys are more into whipping up these babes with ground chicken, turkey or beef, GO FOR IT! I mean… I did tell you that the peanut sauce could make ANYTHING taste good, right? I wasn’t kidding;
- 1-2 tbsp. of coconut oil (I use NUTIVA, DUH!!!);
- ½ tsp. of organic Himalayan pink sea salt;
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder;
- ½ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- 1 small head of green cabbage (or 12 large leaves!);
- 2 yellow bell peppers, CUT INTO THIN STRIPS (& the chopping begins!!!);
- 2 red bell peppers, CUT INTO THIN STRIPS (& continues!!!);
- 200g of Cremini, white or Portobello mushrooms, SLICED;
- TONS of green onions, FINELY CHOPPED (I would say about 1 cup!);
- 3 tbsp. of fresh cilantro, FINELY CHOPPED;
- 3 tbsp. of fresh basil, FINELY CHOPPED;
- 3 tbsp. of fresh dill, FINELY CHOPPED;
- YEP, Kelly loves her herbs!
FOR THE MAGICALLY-WONDERFULLY-TOTALLY-ZOMFG-I-LOVE-YOU-DELICIOUS PEANUT SAUCE (YES, guys, it was necessary to use that many words… she is THAT GOOD.
- ¼ cup of fresh lime juice;
- 4 tsp. of fish sauce;
- 4 tsp. of LOW-SODIUM (if possible & IF YOU CARE, DUH!) soy sauce or soy sauce substitute;
- 4 tsp. of sesame oil (I use Maison Orphée organic toasted sesame oil);
- 3 tsp. of sugar or sugar substitute;
- 2 tsp. of raw organic honey (I use Wild Country);
- 2 tsp. of water;
- 1 CUP OF PEANUTS! (The best part, duh!!!!);
- 8 small cloves of garlic, MINCED (Your fave activity: MINCING!);
- ¼ tsp. of ground ginger;
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder;
- ¼ tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- Pinch of salt (My loves, since the Asian sauces & oils are generally SUPA SALTY, I wouldn’t add TOO much salt to your peanut sauce, especially if your peanuts are ALSO SALTED! Start with a pinch, taste & then take it from there!).
NOW, ALL YOU WANT IS TO KNOW HOW TO WHIP THESE BABIES UP. You do not want me to go on another rant for an hour before I give you the instructions & FOR ONCE in your lives, I will give you what you want (KIDDING! Don’t I do that like everyday by providing you with all these yummy recipes to fill your tummies? YUP. That’s what I thought). ANYWHO, short rant over. HERE’S HOW TO WHIP ‘EM UP, LOVIES:
- Season your Mahi-Mahi with the sea salt, garlic powder & freshly ground black pepper;
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp. (You can add more later if you find that your fish is sticking to the skillet as it cooks) of coconut oil over MEDIUM HEAT. Once heated, add your chopped Mahi-Mahi to the skillet & cook for 5-6 minutes until the fish is cooked through & it is white & flakey (YUMMMMY!)!;
- Cut the bottom stem off the cabbage so that the leaves come apart easily, ALL WHILE STAUING INTACT (This is crucial, my loves – YOU NEED FULL CABBAGE LEAVES & THEY SHOULD NOT BE RIPPED. DO YOU WANT YOUR FILLING TO FALL OUT? Didn’t think so!!!). WASH YOUR CABBAGE;
- Prepare, A.K.A. CHOP, SLICE, CUT & MINCE all the other beautiful veggies!;
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp. of coconut oil to a skillet and heat over MEDIUM HEAT. Once heated, add your mushrooms & cook for about 7-8 minutes until the mushrooms begin to brown & you begin to get tempted… & salivate. BUT DON’T EAT THEM YET, PLEASE!!!;
- Combine all the PEANUT SAUCE ingredients in a blender or food processor & PUREE OR BLEND UNTIL THE MIXTURE IS SMOOOOOTH A-F. Taste & adjust as you go! (Admit tasting is like the best part of cooking… it’s like you legit TEASE YOURSELF… LAWLZ);
- Assemble your CABBBBAGE WRAPS by filling the leaves with all ‘dem fresh herbs, the Mahi-Mahi, bell peppers, mushrooms & green onions. You can throw in some extra peanuts if you wish!
- NOW, THE MOMENT WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR: POUR THE BEAUTIFUL SAUCE ALLLLLL OVER ‘DEM WRAPS & DEVOUR.
OH right… *DRUMROLL PLEASE!*… FOOD PORN ALWAYS!:
Enjoy my loves!!! Xoxo <3