Cauliflower & Ground Turkey Shepherd’s Pie a.k.a. The-Ultimate-Definition-of-Guilt-Free-Comfort-Food-Oh-&-Of-Someone-Who-Cannot-Get-Over-Her-Cauli-Obsession
Hi again lovies! <3
This was din just a couple nights ago! Sorry it took me so long to post this babe, but I promise that the wait was well worth it! Ladies & gents, I present you with my Cauliflower & Ground Turkey Shepherd’s Pie a.k.a. The-Ultimate-Definition-of-Guilt-Free-Comfort-Food-Oh-&-of-Someone-Who-Cannot-Get-Over-Her-Cauli-Obsession (Yes, Me!). I know, I know, I’m a genius. BASICALLY, THIS IS MY CLEAN-EATING TAKE ON TRADITIONAL SHEPHERD’S PIE & well… it will make you forget that “traditional Shepherd’s Pie” even exists, NOT EVEN KIDDING (or exaggerating, for once!).
(OH & NO, I’M STILL NOT OVER CAULIFLOWER. I TOLD YOU, I NEVER WILL BE. BYE!).
Before I delve into the description, ingredients & how-to of this babe, I just wanted to put it out there that this recipe is inspired by my mom’s recipe. For those of you who had the opportunity (OOPS, I MEAN PRIVILEGE) to ever taste her Shepherd’s Pie, you know it was one of her specialties & that it was BEYOND DELICIOUS. Basically, the BEST YOU’VE EVER HAD. Don’t lie. I remember chilling with her in the kitchen while she was making it & literally LICKING the mixing bowl. Yes, her potato mixture was THAT GOOD #noshame. Anywho, you can rest assured that I thought of her ALL DAY after coming up with this idea.
Before we get into the nitty gritty of this dish, let me tempt you a bit (Muahaha, me so evil). THINK: Sautéed extra-lean ground turkey (Feel free to substitute the turkey with beef or chicken!) with sweet white onion, fresh MINCED (your fave!) garlic, Portobello mushrooms, fresh thyme, basil & cilantro topped with cauliflower “mashed” potato seasoned with my Homemade BBQ Sauce (already on the blog!), LOADS of garlic powder, turmeric & smoked paprika and garnished with dried parsley & freshly ground black pepper. WOAH. Guys, in one word, HEAVENLY. This babe the epitome of the fact that eating clean does not mean sacrificing flavour!!!
This baby is SUPER HIGH IN PROTEIN, clean & healthy, but while eating it (Who am I effing kidding? While devouring it), you literally feel as though it is a beautiful plate of RICH, CREAMY & WARM COMFORT FOOD. LEGIT, it gave me ALL THE FEELS!!!! Oh & you totz don’t feel like you are missing out on the potatoes… I swear!!! It’s all in them herbs my loves! Anywho, I think it really is time to stop ranting & to get to the nitty gritty. You guys must be drooling BUCKETS ATM.
(OH, one last thing: If you guys are not into cauliflower, for whatever INSANE REASON, this recipe will totz. work with regular potato or sweet potato, so feel free to sub for the “REAL DEAL” if that’s what you prefer!). OK, LET’S GET TO IT, you will need:
- 1 lb. of ground turkey/chicken/beef;
- 1 medium onion, DICED (Yes, this recipe requires some chopping, my loves!!);
- 2 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- ½ cup of Portobello mushrooms, CHOPPED;
- A bunch of fresh thyme sprigs;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh basil, CHOPPED;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp. of chicken stock;
- 1 tbsp. of potato starch;
- ½ head of cauliflower, CHOPPED (IT NEVER ENDS, I KNOW. I’m not sorry though… you guys will see how worth it this is!!);
- 1 egg;
- 2 tbsp. of my Homemade BBQ sauce (or any other BBQ sauce… but like, if you use a store-bought one, I’M KIND OF OFFENDED & HURT… just putting it out there);
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder;
- ¼ tsp. of turmeric;
- ½ tsp. of smoked paprika;
- ½ tsp. of dried parsley;
- Freshly ground black pepper & organic Himalayan pink sea salt for seasoning
OKAY, now, let’s get to the HOW-TO:
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- In a large skillet, sauté your ground turkey on MEDIUM heat until browned (GUYS, I cannot stress enough the importance of keeping your skillet at MEDIUM… Nobody likes burnt & rubbery turkey, right?).
- Add the onion, garlic & mushrooms to the turkey mixture & cook until the veggies are soft (This should take about 3 minutes).
- Add ½ cup of chicken stock & potato starch & bring the mixture to a light boil, MIXING OFTEN (Yes, my loves, this means that you need to focus & pay attention to your skillet. This also means that Netflix must be on PAUSE. UNDERSTOOD?);
- Turn off the heat & add half of your fresh herbs & sprinkle with some salt & peppaaaaa! (KEEP THE REST OF THE HERBS FOR THE CAULI-MASH, DUH!);
- NOW… WE TAKE CARE OF OUR BABY, THE CAULI! Fill a medium saucepan with water & bring to a boil. Cook the cauli for 7-10 minutes, until nice & soft and then, drain!;
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, the remaining 2 tbsp. of chicken stock (You can add more if you wish!), the BBQ sauce, garlic powder, turmeric, smoked paprika & cauliflower. Using a potato masher or whisk, mash the cauli until smooth & add the rest of the HERBS and some ‘mo salt! (I found that using a whisk worked better than a potato masher TBH, so much easier! #lazy, you?);
- Evenly divide the meat mixture in your ramekins/oven-safe dish until almost entirely full, THEN… FOR THE BEST PART… Using a spatula, spread the cauli mixture over the top until the meat is completely covered (Guys, like I can’t describe to you that satisfying feeling of spreading this beautiful, creamy cauliflower mash over the turkey… it’s like, as the dish comes together, your life comes together. I SWEAR!);
- Place your ramekin/oven-safe dish on a baking sheet & cook in the oven for 10 minutes, THEN SWITCH YOUR OVEN TO BROIL & cook for an additional ten minutes;
- CRY THAT THERE’S NONE LEFT;
- DEBATE WHETHER YOU ARE MOTIVATED ENOUGH TO MAKE MORE FOR TOMORROW;
- DECIDE THAT YOU’RE TOO LAZY;
- MAKE THIS BABY AGAIN TOMORROW;
- REPEAT PROCESS.
Enjoy mes amours!!! Xoxo.
OH WAIT, FOOD PORN!!!!:
I’m literally dying looking at these pics right now… GETTING SO HUNGRY, OOPS I MEAN HANGRY!!!! GAH. OK, love y’all, gotta go deal with my hAngriness!!!!