Hi lovies! <3 Hope you all had a lovely Saturday 🙂 & to all my fellow J-people (a.k.a. all those suffering like moi waiting for the day we could eat carbs again), hope you’re having a good Passover!
For those of you who, like moi, LOVE TURKEY, it’s your lucky day! Well, actually, it’s your THIRD LUCKY DAY (a.k.a. The 3rd time I use turkey in my recipes IN A ROW. Admit it, you ADORE me. BUT, for those of you who aren’t HUGE fans of turkey, I AM SO VERY SOWWY! I had to finish that HUGE pack that I told you guys I bought & I can only eat so much… YOU FEEL ME? ANYWHO, all this to say that I promise TOMORROW WILL NOT BE TURKEY NIGHT AGAIN (And my track record with promise-keeping has been quite on point, right?). But for now, let’s focus on tonight’s din (Although lez be honest, I am DEFS. already thinking about tomorrow’s #guiltyascharged): Ladies & gents, my Best Ground Turkey Bolognese Ever a.k.a. Brought-Out-My-Inner-Italian-Grandma-&-Made-The-Clean-Eating-Bolognese-Of-My-Dreams. LET ME EXPLAIN.
IN A NUTSHELL: Extra-virgin olive oil. Red wine vinegar. Strained tomatoes. Sautéed onions, celery & carrots. Fresh garlic. Fresh parsley & basil. Dried oregano. ZOMFG. OH & OBVI, my K for P gluten-free noodles a.k.a. THE BABES THAT SAVED PASSOVER 2017. In fact, they ALMOST made me forget how much I missed carbs, but then I remembered… and I realized I need them back in my life STAT #weh.
ANYWHO, I legit wish I could put the wonderful smell in my kitch as this sauce was simmering on the stove into words, but I can’t. Seriously. I’ll try my best though. Maybe if I start by listing the ingredients, you guys will sort of catch my drift. LET’S TRY, OKAY? Lovies, you will need:
P.S. This should give you enough foooooood for like four HUNGRY PEOPLE… but this all depends on you & your peoples’ definition of hungry… SO BE WEARY MY LOVES!
- 1 lb. of pasta (LET YOUR MINDS RUN WILD, PEOPLE… but, if you make this on Passover, obvs. your choices are more limited!);
- 1 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 1 large onion, CHOPPED;
- 1 large carrot, PEELED & CHOPPED (You probs. want to kill me. Not only am i asking you to chop her up, but I’m also telling you that you gotta peel her first! SOWWY NOT SOWWY. Nobody likes dirty carrots. Not even your lazy self, kay?);
- 1 celery stalk, CHOPPED (YUP, again!);
- 3 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 1 lb. of extra-lean ground turkey;
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt & freshly ground black pepper for seasoning;
- 1 28-oz. can of organic crushed or strained tomatoes;
- 1/2 cup of dry white or red wine or white or red wine vinegar (DO YOU GUYS WANT TO GET TIPSY FROM THE PASTA? If so, go with the vino);
- 1/4 cup of freshly CHOPPED parsley;
- 1/4 cup of freshly CHOPPED basil;
- 2 tsp. of dried oregano;
- Dried parsley flakes for garnish;
- OPTIONAL: Freshly grated Parmesan for garnish and/or chilli flakes!
Ok, so I think this gives you a good picture of the PERFECTLY-BEAUTIFUL SMELL THAT TOOK OVER MY KITCH AS THE SAUCE WAS SIMMERING ON MY STOVE. Guys, I was dying, like I was legit looking for stuff to do so that I wouldn’t stand over the stove and eat the entire skillet… Kay, NOW, I’m actually exaggerating, but you know what I mean, right?
OK, NOW HOW DO YOU WHIP HER UP?
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook your pasta according to package directions. My loves, we’ve been over this before. PLEASE. COOK YOUR PASTA UNTIL IT IS AL DENTÉ. NOT MORE. OKAY? Once boiled & AL DENTÉ (YES, THIS IS ME REMINDING YOU AGAIN. Do you realize the importance???), drain & return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, make your BOLOGNESE!!! In a large skillet or pot over MEDIUM (NOT HIGH!!!) HEAT, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, celery & garlic & cook until tender (This should take 5-7 minutes).
- NOW, add your turkey & cook until it is no longer pink (Yes, my loves, this means you have to WATCH YOUR SKILLET. WATCH YOUR TURKEY. OKAY? SHOW YOUR TURKEY THE LOVE IT DESERVES).
- Add the crushed or strained tomatoes, wine/wine vinegar (I’LL BET YOU CHOSE THE VINO), parsley, basil & dried oregano;
- Let THE MAGICAL SAUCE simmer until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes!
- Once it has thickened, a.k.a. once it’s EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL & ONCE YOUR KITCH SMELLS LIKE BOLOGNESE HEAVEN, toss the sauce with the cooked pasta & DIE & GO TO TURKEY HEAVEN!!!!! <3
- BUT, BEFORE YOU GO “ALL THE WAY UP” (Please tell me you understood that reference. Hint: Meek Mill & Drake), SPRINKLE YOUR DISH WITH PARM + CHILLI FLAKES + PARSLEY FLAKES AND AHHHHH!
- Now, you have my permission to GO WAY UP, DEVOUR THIS BABE, CRY WHEN IT’S OVER & COME BACK DOWN TO YOUR KITCH TO MAKE HER AGAIN. XX. Oh, P.S. How beautiful is turkey heaven btw? I just got back.
LASTLY, DAT FOOD PORN:
Enjoy amores! Xoxo! (See what I did there? It’s the Italian grandma in me… I swear!). Love y’all! <3