Hi lovies! <3 Good morning (again!)
Ok, so this one isn’t really a recipe per se, but more a post about what has recently become one of my morning rituals, which is LEMON WATER a.k.a. The Only-Best-&-Yummy-Way-To-Start-Oops-I-Mean-Detox-Your-Day-Right! Why, you ask? Well, there are many reasons, LET ME EXPLAIN!
P.S. Since I began recovery, I’ve been reading A LOT & doing A LOT of research about health & nourishment, so I’ll be doing a lot more of these posts where I share what I’ve been learning with you my loves, obvs in hopes that it can help you guys too 🙂
OK, SO WHAT’S SO GOOD ABOUT LEMON WATER? Like… it’s just lemon & water, right? Yes, you’re right. It’s just lemon & water, but you have no idea how many amazing health benefits something so simple has. SERIOUSLY, it’s cray-cray:
- Lemon water can help increase your metabolism (UHM, okay so I’ll take like 20 lemons, please. K, thnx!) & help with weight loss (LET’S BE HONEST, this part totz doesn’t concern me since I’m all about them gains ATM);
- Lemons contain flavonoids, which are plant pigments that are SUPER HIGH in antioxidants (a.k.a. Lemon water can help protect your cells from damage);
- Lemons contain Vitamin C & Potassium (Did you guys know that a diet rich in Potassium can actually help lower blood pressure & risk of heart disease and stroke?;
- Lemon water helps boost energy levels & improve mood!!;
- THIS IS MY FAVOURITE ONE: Lemon water helps aid digestion. The acids in lemon actually slow the digestion process, which allows your body to better absorb the nutrients passing through your system, which in turn helps regulate your sugar levels! AWESOME, RIGHT? Basically, lemon water encourages your bods to process the good stuff in foods MORE SLOWLY & you get more nutrients out of the foods you consume!
- OKAY, I ALSO LOVE THIS ONE (T.M.I.?): The enzymes in lemon water may help stimulate liver function & aid in the elimination of waste & toxins from your body. Basically, lemon water is detoxifying A-F.
- Lemon water boosts your immune system. Due to its high Vitamin C content, lemon water can actually strengthen your immune system by neutralizing toxins associated with aging & disease!… WAIT FOR IT: ONE LEMON (which is exactly what I use in my lemon water everyday) contains A WHOLE 187% OF THE RECOMMENDED DAILY ALLOWANCE OF VITAMIN C. WHAT?;
- Lemon water can also help increase your overall energy levels due to the other essential vitamins & minerals it contains, a.k.a. Lemon water is an AMAZING PICK-ME-UP for those BLAH mornings!;
- Lemon water can help improve your skin condition. Due to the antioxidant content, lemon juice can help reduce blemishes & minimize wrinkles (UHM, HELLO, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?). ALSO, since lemon juice detoxifies the blood, it actually helps maintain skin’s radiance & keeps the body producing collagen (K, THIS IS THE BEST THING ON EARTH – IT’S LIKE A FREE MOISTURIZER THAT COSTS $100 AT SEPHROA);
- Lemon water simply tastes DELISH & REFRESHING;
OKAY NOW, it’s not all about the lemon! (Although the lemon is pretty damn important!). If you can (& you can because it’s so easy!), try adding a bit of Himalayan pink salt, celtic sea salt or sea salt to your lemon water EVERY MORNING! (I use Himalayan salt but all of these are great options!).
First things first, what is Himalayan sea salt?
Basically, Himalayan sea salt is mined by hand directly from ancient sea salt deposits. It’s not processed, refined, or stripped of its nutrient value, in the same way that table salt is. Table salt is literally EMPTY. It’s devoid of minerals & unfortunately, a lot of the time, it contains anti-clumping additives like ferrocyanide, talc, & silica aluminate along with the sodium chloride and iodine one would expect to get.
Himalayan salt actually contains 84 trace minerals & it is thanks to these minerals that Himalayan salt is SO NOURISHING & GOOD FOR YOU! In fact, biologically, in order for our bodies to function at its optimal level, our health depends on adequate micro-nutrient & mineral stores! & WHY NOT PROVIDE THE BODY WITH ALL OF THAT THE SECOND YOU WAKE UP IN THE MORNING?
SO YES, HIMALAYAN SALT CONTAINS A HELL OF A LOT OF MINERALS, BUT WHY ELSE SHOULD YOU ADD IT TO YOUR LEMON WATER?
- DIGESTION & ELIMINATION: It helps stimulate enzymes that help with digestion & encourages the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach to help break down & digest food! The salt also helps promote food & water absorption in the body, allowing the nutrients to move through & be assimilated into the body more efficiently & smoothly.
- ADRENAL SUPPORT: Sea salt makes your adrenals work less hard first thing in the morning. When we get up in the morning, our bodies naturally want to raise our blood pressure. BUT. BUT. BUT. Drinking salt water with lemon in the morning overrides this by slightly raising blood pressure for a period of time, which ultimately means that the adrenals will have to do less of the work in raising blood pressure, thus saving their output for the rest of the day.
- HYDRATION. HYDARTION. HYDRATION: Sea salt will hydrate your body without overly diluting it. In fact, it IS possible to consume too much water & to put the body in a state where it is deficient in sodium! (This can happen after a vigorous workout & after sweating too much). Drinking water may not nourish the cells as well as expected, but SEA SALT allows the body to absorb & use the water you are taking in.
- MUSCLE CRAMPS & MIGRAINE RELIEF: The sodium, potassium, calcium & magnesium work together to help with muscle contraction & relaxation. In fact, electrolyte imbalances & dehydration are often the main cause of muscle pain & headaches.
- ENERGY BOOSTER: In line with the mineral stuff I spoke about earlier, having adequate mineral stores gives the body the energy it needs to tackle the day! When the body has the micro-nutrients it needs, it will function optimally & you will find that you won’t even need the drug-induced stimulation of caffeine! You will become obsessed with the natural, calming energy you get from the lemon water. I SWEAR. (You might still want your coffee & that’s totally fine, BUT DO THE LEMON WATER FIRST, okay? You’ll thank me later!).
- HELPS WITH ALLERGIES: The combination of lemon & salt, mixed with lukewarm water, acts as a natural antihistamine for allergies!
- BALANCES THE BODY’S pH: Our diets are filled with refined, processed, sugar-ridden foods, which creates an overly acidic pH in our bodies & bloodstream. By providing the body with so many necessary trace minerals, the body becomes more alkalized, which in turn creates less inflammation & disease!
- SLEEP: Sea salt provides minerals like magnesium & calcium, which can help improve sleep, reduce cortisol & adrenaline (stress hormones).
- SKIN HEALTHY: So many minerals have a HUGE EFFECT on the skin! Chromium helps with acne; sulphur helps smooth the skin & reduces eczema & rashes; zinc heals wounds & regulates oil production; iodine increases oxygen consumption in the skin! ALSO, drinking water with sea salt hydrates the skin from the INSIDE OUT!!
- DESTROYS BACTERIA: Sea salt, when added to filtered water, is antibacterial & can help eliminate bad bacteria, viruses & fungi. Basically, it pulls toxins from the cells to be eliminated from the body!
- DISSOLVES URIC ACID: Uric acid buildup in the body can stimulate gout, kidney stones, gall stones & arthritis. Sea salt will help dissolve & eliminate sediments from the body before they can become a true bother to your body.
Is this not enough to convince you to have a glass of this stuff EVERY SINGLE DAY OF YOUR LIFE? If it’s not… HOUSTON, we’ve got a MASSSSIVELY-HUGE problem. NOURISH YOUR BODIES, PEOPLE. This is like THE. EASIEST. WAY. TO. DO. SO.
I hope I convinced you & if I did… HERE’S HOW TO MAKE LEMON WATER:
It’s SOOOOO easy, guys! You only need three ingredients. The name is self-explanatory, okay? LEMON, LUKEWARM WATER & HIMALAYAN PINK SALT (OR CELTIC SEA SALT). All you gotta do is add the juice of one fresh lemon (GET A CITRUS JUICER, PEOPLE) to lukewarm water & sprinkle in a bit of the sea salt! Obvs, the best thing to do is use fresh squeezed lemons for maximum results (as opposed to the squeeze bottles that have ZERO nutritional value & contain preservatives and chemicals).
The reason your water should be lukewarm is because cold water is too shocking on the body (especially first thing in the morning – think of it like if someone were to splash freezing cold water on your face to wake you up – NOT THE GREATEST WAY TO START YOUR DAY, RIGHT?) & it actually takes more energy for the body to be able to process the cold water & bring it down to room temperature, which may counter some of the effects you are looking to get from the lemon water in the first place: A MORNING BOOST OF ENERGY. As for boiling hot water, it has been shown that it can destroy some of the enzymes & beneficial properties/nutrients of the lemon, not to mention it may have an impact on the digestive benefits of the lemon as the body has to use more energy to absorb the nutrients compared to lukewarm water.
If you find that lemon juice is just TOO STRONG for you or NOT SWEET ENOUGH, you can make a milder version of lemon water by simply cutting the lemon into thin slices & dropping it into your water OR add some sweetener (Preferably, unrefined & natural, a.k.a. raw honey or pure organic maple syrup!).
But honestly, if you’re able to drink your vodka straight (AND I KNOW YOU ARE), you should have no issue with your LEMON WATER, okay? PLUS, LEMON WATER IS ACTUALLY BENEFITTING YOU IN LIKE A ZILLION WAYS… OH & IT WON’T GIVE YOU A MCDONALD’S CRAVING AT 5 AM OR A NASTY HANGOVER. #WINNING. Basically, EFF the VODKA. HELLO, LEMON WATER. WELCOME TO MY WORLD, BABY!
- The juice of 1 lemon
- About 8-12oz. of lukewarm water (1-1.5 cups)
- 1 tsp. Himalayan sea salt or Celtic sea salt
- Boil your water until it’s lukewarm (This only works if you have a temperature regulator on your kettle). I don’t have that feature on mine, so what I do is add 1/2 portion of cooled off boiling water & 1/2 portion of cool water to a glass.
- Juice your lemon directly in the glass of water.
- Sprinkle with sea salt & mix.
You can also add a pinch of Ceylon cinnamon, ginger &/or turmeric to your lemon water for some anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial & antibacterial benefits, as well as an additional boost to your immune system, heart health & antioxidants!