Hi again loves! <3 What to do when you have leftover ground turkey in the fridge? (YES, because the pack of turkey you bought was WAY TOO BIG for just one person, even when that one person is A VERY, VERY HUNGRY KELLY). YOU MAKE CLEAN-EATING TURKEY LETTUCE WRAPS & GO TO TURKEY HEAVEN. LEGIT, Guys, these babies are DROOL-WORTHY just at the sight of them… so IMAGINE WHAT THEY TASTE LIKE. I wish I could put it into words but I am simply speechless at what I concocted tonight. My loves, I present you with my Clean-Eating Turkey Lettuce Wraps a.k.a. In-Turkey-Heaven-&-I-Ain’t-Never-Coming-Home.
Think: Extra-lean ground turkey (YES, AGAIN!), Garlic. Ginger. Green onions. Crunchy celery. Hoisin sauce. Tamari. Sesame oil. Rice vinegar. Sriracha. Honey. Fresh cilantro. Fresh basil & a splash of fresh lime juice…. GAH, DYING. DROOLING. SALIVATING. MOUTHWATERING. Not only are all the flavour combinations in this dish INSANE, but also the entire recipe literally only takes like 15 minutes from start to finish, NO JOKE! So it’s PERFECT as an easy weeknight meal.
ALSO, I used ground turkey, but the recipe would obvs. be DELISH with ground beef or even ground chicken – totz. up to you!! Did I mention how JAM-PACKED WITH PROTEIN this recipe is?? (No matter which meat you choose to use, LITERALLY, it’s protein heaven!).
ANYWHO, all this to say that this dish took me to TURKEY HEAVEN & I AIN’T NEVER COMING HOME. This is one I’ll be making regularly, that’s for sure, not only because it’s so effing good, but also because it’s great for those lazy days when you want to eat something guilt-free, clean, healthy, but still super yummy & tasty, but are simply too lazy to spend half the day (OKAY FINE, ALL DAY) in the kitch!
So, you’re all probably wondering (as always), what you need to whip these babies up! Well, here goes:
- 1 ¼ lb. of extra-lean ground turkey;
- 2 tbsp. of sesame oil;
- 1 clove of garlic, MINCED (Admit it, you guys are now obsessed with finely chopping & mincing your veggies. Thanks, Kel, you da bomb);
- ¼ tsp. of ground ginger;
- ¼ tsp. of garlic powder;
- 4 green onions, THINLY sliced;
- 200g of celery, coarsely CHOPPED;
- 3 tbsp. of hoisin sauce;
- 2-3 tbsp. of raw organic honey;
- 2 tbsp. of soy sauce, Tamari or soy sauce substitute;
- 2 tbsp. of rice vinegar;
- 2 tsp. of Sriracha;
- A splash of fresh lime juice;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh basil, CHOPPED;
- 1/8 tsp. of salt;
- 1/8 tsp. of fresh ground black pepper;
- 12 Boston lettuce leaves;
- Chilli flakes and/or chives/parsley flakes for garnish!
HOW TO? (SUCK IT UP. Admit it. You are dying to know).
- Heat 2 tbsp. of sesame oil (I don’t know about you guys but I used toasted sesame oil & I really find it makes all the difference, BUT USE WHAT YOU’VE GOT or get off your butts & GO TO THE GROCERY STORE!!) in a large non-stick skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT (No. Not high. I SAID MEDIUM-HIGH. THERE’S A DIFFERENCE, PEOPLE). Add ground turkey, garlic & ginger to the pan & cook for about 5-6 minutes or until the turkey is browned. Stir the turkey to crumble it into little tiny pieces of perfectly-perfect goodness;
- Combine the turkey mixture, onions, chopped celery & fresh herbs in a large bowl, stirring well & set aside;
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, WHISK UP all the sauce ingredients, a.k.a. hoisin sauce, soy sauce/Tamari, rice vinegar, Sriracha, lime juice, salt & pepper & DRIZZZZLE THIS WONDERFULNESS over the turkey mixture. Toss the mixture to coat the turkey in this BEAUTIFUL SAUCE.
- Add about ¼ cup of turkey mixture to each lettuce leaf, serve & DEVOURRRRR. Oh, btw, I’m just warning you, you will probably cry when you finish your plate… because, you will go for SECONDS, but there will be NO SECONDS. There will sadly be NOTHING LEFT.
& NOW, the moment you have all been so (im)patiently waiting for… THAT FOOD PORN:
Enjoy mes amours! Xoxo!