MY LOVES! <3 Good morning. 5:02AM, waddup?
It don’t get more GREEN than this. I present you with my Homemade Basil, Spinach, Mint & Garlic Pesto (Yep, From Scratch) a.k.a. The-Ultimate-Green-Goddess-&-The-Definition-of-#EatYoGreens. Basically, this pesto is LIFE. Let me tell you a thing or two about it before I let you in on how to whip up this perfection.
- She (Yes, she’s a she & she’s a goddess) is completely RAW (Yes, entirely, completely, utterly & all those other synonyms), which makes her not only GLUTEN-FREE but TOTALLY VEGAN... & wait for it… for all my fellow J’s (a.k.a. Jews), she is also PASSOVER-FRIENDLY! (Usually you only get a 2 for 1… NOW, YOU GET 3 FOR 1. HOW AWESOME AM I?);
- LEGIT SO HEALTHY, CLEAN & LEAN, a.k.a. ANOTHER GUILT-FREE ONE for you my loves!
- She is SO VERSATILE. You can literally use her in so many ways (Wow, that sounds very wrong but whatevz). In case you’re having a creative-mind-block (You defs. are), since I care about you, here are some ideas, a.k.a. some delicious ways to smother this baby all over your fooooood, GAH DROOLING: You can use her as a pasta sauce, a spread for toast/bagels/crackers/MATZAH, a marinade for chicken, turkey, fish or seafood, a dipping sauce for veggies & even red meats (Think of chimichurri, only ten times better… okay wait, maybe twenty times better), as a mix-in to thicken a salad dressing or a soup & even as a pizza sauce (UH, didn’t you know? Marinara sauce is like SO. LAST. YEAR.). If this isn’t enough to convince you that you MUST keep a jar of this baby in your fridge AT ALL TIMES, then you are 1) Too hard to convince & 2) Playing hard to get (I hate you);
- She is JAM-PACKED with a million essential nutrients (I mean… do you see how green she is. LAWLZ. Legit, I meant it when I said it don’t get more green than this. I’ve told you lovies I was strict about my #eatyogreens requirements & I wasn’t kidding. So, when I tell you this baby meets them, YOU RUN TO YOUR KITCH & WHIP HER UP, GOT ME?);
- She is SUPER CREAMY, SMOOTH, SCRUMPTIOUS & WILDLY DELISH (P.S. I’m becoming such a pro at making dat creamy & smooth stuff WITH ZERO DAIRY!!! Yes, I know it’s early & all but you are not half-asleep. You read right. This baby contains no dairy. Absolutely no dairy);
- Did I mention she was SO QUICK & EASY TO MAKE? (Do not put words in my mouth. I said she was quick & easy TO MAKE. Not quick & easy. If you play hard to get with her, she will too, okay? I OBVS. TAUGHT HER WELL);
- Oh & can we just discuss how visually SHE IS THE MOST-PERFECT-GORGEOUS-MINDBLOWING-MASTERPIECE-OF-GREEN (I. WANT. HER. ALL. TO. MYSELF.);
- BASICALLY, she will make you want to LICK YOUR BLENDER (I almost did)… BUT, since I have manners & stuff… sometimes… I LICKED THE SPATULA INSTEAD & IT WAS FREAKING AWESOME. It was TOTZ. a LOVE AT FIRST BITE SITCH.
Anywho my loves, I think I’ve rambled enough & I think all of the above is evidence that you NEED to wake up & go make this baby because lez be honest, she qualifies to be A PANTRY STAPLE/ (She is defs becoming one of mine, that’s for sure!). “Kay, but she said she was done rambling & she’s still going. WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS?“. FINE, FINE, here they are mes amours:
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves;
- 1 cup of fresh mint;
- 3/4 cup of spinach;
- 3/4 cup of organic unsweetened almond milk;
- 2 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 1 tsp. of coconut oil;
- 1/2 a sweet white onion, CHOPPED (Admit you love me even more when I don’t make you chop her finely);
- White, cremini or portobello mushrooms, CHOPPED;
- 2 garlic cloves (separated), MINCED;
- 1/2 tsp. of cumin;
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1/4 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper;
- Organic pink Himalayan sea salt;
THAT’S IT MY LOVES. When I told you she was raw, healthy, clean & lean, I REALLY MEANT IT!! I don’t know about you guys but as I was writing down this list of ingredients, I was salivating at the thought of smothering this baby all over a perfectly toasted piece of sprouted toast & topping that baby with a perfectly-yolky-egg ZOMFG, I am dying. BUT, THEN I REMEMBERED THERE WERE SEVEN DAYS LEFT OF PASSOVER & I CRIED. Sprouted Toast, I miss you already. This is going to be so hard. I hate breaks. Please, come back to me.
Okay, now that you’ve essentially raided your fridge of every single possible green it contained, GO TO THE GROCERY STORE & RESTOCK. Nah, kidding. Don’t go to the grocery store just yet. FIRST YOU NEED TO WHIP THIS BABY UP;
- Add your basil, mint, spinach, almond milk, olive oil & 1 clove of garlic to your blender & BLEND DAT STUFF UNTIL SMOOOOOOTH. My loves, the smell of this baby when you open your blender… YOU. WILL. FAINT. You have been warned, so please make sure somebody is around to catch you when you fall. LIABILITY DENIED. THANKS;
- Heat the coconut oil (MON AMOUR) in a skillet. Add the CHOPPED onion, mushrooms of your choosing & MINCED garlic (the other clove), cumin, garlic powder, ground black pepper & salt & sauté for 3-4 minutes on MEDIUM heat (Can you guys tell I cook most of my stuff on MEDIUM? Wanna know why? Because I LOVE MY FOOD. I CARE FOR MY FOOD. I DO NOT WANT TO BURN MY FOOD. OK?);
- Stir your pesto into the onion & garlic mixture & cook for about 5 minutes ON LOW HEAT & stir continuously… ZOMFG. When these two are combined, it’s LEGIT THE MOST BEAUTIFUL LOVE STORY IN THE WORLD (YES, MY LOVES, EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN ROMEO & JUILET… SWEAR!!!);
- AND, just like that, your Green Goddess Pesto was born. Your life just improved by like 3981043814184901%. Kelly in the Kitch MADE YOUR LIFE. NOW, scroll up. Reread all my amazing suggestions regarding how to use this baby & proceed to BREAKY/BRUNCH/LUNCH/SNACK/DINNA PREP!!!!! Oh, but before you can do that… PLEASE, DO ME A FAVOUR, LICK YOUR SPATULA & TELL ME IF YOU ALSO FELL IN LOVE AT FIRST BITE. I’m DYING to know.
Now, I told you that this baby was the most-perfectly-perfect-shade-of-green-ZOMFG, but since a lot of you are more about visuals & stuff (& since I ramble a lot and half of you are probs. like “KAY, I’m scrolling down to see the pic and that’s it“), HERE ARE SOME PICS TO MAKE YOU MELT, DROOL, SALIVATE, DIE, FALL IN LOVE & GO TO HEAVEN (With just enough time to come back down to earth to her up before all the greens sitting on your counter go bad… I hope, anyways!)
P.S. SCROLL ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM – I EVEN SHARE A PICTURE OF A SAMPLE DISH THAT USES THIS BABY. If the pics of the pesto herself are not enough to convince you, I guarantee this one will be:
Je vous aime, xoxo!