Hi loves! I’m back, YEP. AGAIN! 🙂 You still love me, right?
With Passover right around the corner (LITERALLY!), I figured it would be a great idea to put together a simple, quick & easy Tomato & Basil Sauce a.k.a. Why-Does-Basil-Make-Everything-Better-Sauce? (P.S. She’s also Passover friendly!) WHY, you ask? You can’t even eat pasta on Passover, right? GUYS, just because it’s a tomato & basil sauce, it doesn’t mean you have to go all Italy on me… the reason I made this sauce is because it’s SO VERSATILE. I DON’T PLAN ON USING IT FOR PASTA. I plan on using it as a marinade for beautiful fresh fish fillets & chicken breast (A.K.A. PRETTY MUCH ALL WE CAN EAT ON PASSOVER ANYWAYS!). NOW WE’RE TALKING, RIGHT? OH &… WHO DOESN’T LOVE A GOOD MATZAH PIZZA, RIGHT? K well guys, I just changed your LIVES. This sauce, on your matzah pizza, instead of that store-bought-full-of-sodium-nasty-been-on-the-shelves-for-weeks-“pizza”-sauce IS HEAVEN (If you prefer a smoother sauce for your matzah pizza, all you gotta do is put this baby in the blender once she’s ready and she’ll look exactly like the K for P pizza sauce you buy at the grocery store, ONLY SHE’LL TASTE 98149840328483208432574953 TIMES BETTER!!!). KAY, RANT OVER.
SO next time you accuse me of eating pasta on Passover, THINK TWICE, KAY? No but let’s be serious for a sec (even though it’s hard for me), this tomato & basil sauce can legit make your meal.
Anywho, THIS BABE is so effing clean with just a few ingredients (HINT: Think extra-virgin olive oil, red onion, fresh garlic, cherry tomatoes, unrefined raw sugar & fresh basil… DROOLING YET?). OH & best of all, this baby can be stored in the fridge for a week & can even be frozen for up to like, SIX MONTHS, a.k.a. you can make her in batches a.k.a. you can be time-efficient A.K.A. KELLY JUST MADE YOUR LIFE BETTER AGAIN (WOAH, HOW AWESOME CAN A PERSON BE THOUGH?).
P.S. You will die when you add the basil to the saucepan… YOUR KITCHEN. SMELL. HEAVEN. Omg, I can’t even make a sentence. KAY, BYE! Just kidding, NOT BYE. I’M NOT DONE. I’M NEVER DONE. I mean, you guys are still waiting to know what goes into this baby, right? I CERTAINLY FREAKING HOPE SO. OKAY, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil;
- 1 red onion, FINELY SLICED (Yes guys, I’m back with the finely/thinly sliced requests. Actually, TBH, they’re not really requests… they’re ORDERS!);
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped (LAWLZ, do you want to kill me yet?);
- 2 pints of cherry tomatoes (SO JUICY ZOMFG – BTW, if you guys have some older pints of cherry tomatoes at the back of your fridge, you should totz use them before using your fresh ones – that’s what I did!! – because you’re gonna end up throwing them out in a few days so you might as well put them to good use. PLUS, you know what my opinion is about wasting food!!!! Don’t get me angry!);
- 1 tsp. of unrefined raw sugar (You can also just use regular sugar if that’s what you’ve got & I have a feeling that even brown sugar could work well here because it would caramelize the tomatoes, HOLY EFF. MIGHT TRY THAT NEXT TIME! Look at the ideas I come up with… WHO AM I & WHY ON EARTH DID I BECOME A LAWYER?);
- 1/4 cup of roughly torn basil leaves (For once, I am letting you TEAR the herbs & not chop them finely. Do not take this for granted. It will not happen often);
- Organic pink Himalayan sea salt & freshly ground black pepper for seasoning (NOT IN THE PHOTO. GUYS, MY SPICES ARE ON MY COUNTER, KAY?).
THAT’S IT MY LOVES! THAT REALLY IS ALL YOU NEED. Now, now, how do you combine all of these beautiful & fresh ingredients to make the beauty that is this chunky-pulpy tomato-&-basil-take-me-to-cloud-9-and-don’t-let-me-come-back-sauce?
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat (NOT HIGH!!!), add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often (NO NETFLIX FOR YOU, GLEN COCO!) until soft, Once soft, stir in the garlic & cook for another 1-2 minutes, until YOUR KITCHEN SMELLS LIKE HEAVEN ON EARTH;
- Add the cherry tomatoes, sugar & salt & pepper & SIMMER THIS BABY FOR 30-40 MINUTES, stirring occasionally until thick & pulpy (OKAY YES, it does take some time, but just chill in your kitch, make some of my other yummy recipes in the mean time, a.k.a. be time-efficient & multitask & before you know it, that timer will be beeping & annoying the EFF out of you & your beautiful sauce will be NEARLY READY TO DEVOUR).;
- Stir in the basil (ZOMFG, the smell AHHHH!) & cook for another 2-3 minutes. TASTE THIS BABY (And by taste, I totz mean, stand in front of your oven & eat the whole pot. Then, once you reach the bottom… CRY & CRY SOME ‘MO. ADD SOME MORE SALT & PEPPA IF NECESSARY;
- If you do happen to have any sauce left after tasting the first bite, you can either use it RIGHT AWAY, or let it cool off & keep it in your fridge for up to week! If you made a HUGE BATCH (cause you’re smart & time-efficient & stuff, then you can also freeze part of it for up to six months!!!!!);
- LASTLY, if you are the type to prefer a smooth tomato sauce (as I mentioned above), you can just blitz the entire batch in your blender until it’s smooth! BUT, OMG, LIKE CAN YOU LOOK AT THE PICTURE OF THIS THING? HOW CAN YOU PREFER A SMOOTH BORING SAUCE OVER THIS THICK, PULPY, CHUNKY, BEAUTIFULNESS? Whatevz floats your boats, my loves!
AND NOW, THE MOMENT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR, THE MOMENT WHERE I SHOW OFF MY AMAAAAAZING PHOTOGRAPHY SKILLZ:
Enjoy mes amours! Xoxo!