Maple Balsamic & Dijon Oven-Baked Cod on a Bed of Broiled Cherry Tomatoes, Sweet Onion, Garlic Spinach & Gluten-Free Noodles a.k.a. Sometimes-Simple-Is-Best
Hello. It’s me! YES, AGAIN. You know what that means… it’s time for me to share my din with you lovies! So this afternoon, I was feeling UBER-LAZY. Yes, even I get lazy sometimes (SWEAR!). So I wanted to whip up something quick & simple that would still be DELISH & NUTRITIOUS. & Then… THIS BABE OF A DISH WAS BORN & SHE WAS FREAKING AWESOME.
What is it, you ask? Basically, LIFE. No, but really, it’s Maple Balsamic & Dijon Oven-Baked Cod on a Bed of Broiled Cherry Tomatoes, Sweet Onion, Garlic Spinach & Gluten-Free Noodles a.k.a. Sometimes-Simple-Is-Best. GUYS. I CAN’T. Just describing it to you, I want to make it all over again LIKE STAT, seriously though. But what makes it so perfect? Let me explain.
- Ultimate balance between protein, fat & carbs;
- Light, bright & fresh;
- Sweet (Thank you maple syrup & balsamic vinegar. I love you both forever!) & savoury (Thank you Dijon, smoked paprika & garlic. You guys are awesome!);
- Full of greeeeens (You know, my babe spinach & his besties, basil, cilantro & dill);
- THE COD IS SO FLAKEY. I CAN’T. (Obvs., you will only achieve this if you listen to me when I instruct you regarding how to cook it. If you don’t listen, you don’t get flakey cod & nobody likes NOT-FLAKEY cod. OKAY?);
- Easy & super quick to whip up (PERFECT for all you working mamas & papas);
- SO effin’ good & good for you (It’s all about that nourishment, my loves! Once you adopt that way of thinking, it literally becomes your LIFESTYLE. Trust me!);
- Healthy, clean & lean;
SERIOUSLY, what more can you ask for? (Except one thing: Not only would I give you the recipe, but I’d make it for you too. K CALM DOWN GUYS, that’s asking too much! Making these meals is time-consuming so appreciate it & PAUSE YOUR NETFLIX!). ALL THIS TO SAY, it would have been extremely selfish of me to keep this baby from you for too long (Even though I really, really, really, wanted her all to myself. But I came to the consensus that I could share her with you guys on ONE CONDITION: I get her on the weekends!!!!
Ok, now that we’ve established the logistics of how we are going to share this baby, I can finally tell you what you need to make her (Sorry that took so long, it was just really hard for me to let her go…):
- THE COD FILLETS!!!! DUH!!! If you don’t have cod or if you’re not a fan (But like, how could you not be?), you can use any other white fish or even salmon (LOVE the combination of salmon, Dijon & maple. Defs trying it with salmon next time!);
- 1 sweet onion, sliced finely (I’m back at it with my orders to chop your veggies finely. It’s really not a joke. It’s a requirement, guys. Please don’t be lazy. Look how much I do for you!);
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes (SO JUICY. Guys, I don’t know if you’ve ever baked cherry tomatoes, like legit baked them in the oven… if you haven’t, you will be amazed at just how amazing they taste. It’s legit a whole other level of cherry tomatoes. Like, they’re good fresh & all, but when you bake these babes, you go to cloud 9 & you don’t come back. I’m still there, BTW);
- 4 cups of SPINACH (MY ONE & ONLY TRUE LOVE);
- 2 tbsp. of fresh basil;
- 2 tbsp. of fresh cilantro;
- 2 tbsp. of fresh dill;
- LOVE MY HERBS FOREVER & EVER & EVER!!
- 2 tsp. of Dijon mustard (LET YOUR MINDS RUN WILD MY LOVES. This time, I used Stonewall Kitchen Specialty Foods Spicy Honey Mustard & ZOMFG. I am speechless);
- 2 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup (I use Decacer brand). GUYS, PLEASE DO NOT SKIMP ON THE MAPLE SYRUP. IT IS THE BASE OF THIS RECIPE;
- 2 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar (I use Bioitalia Organic balsamic vinegar of Modena. YUM!);
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil (I use Maison Orphée organic EVOO);
- 4 cloves of garlic (divided: a.k.a. two for frying the spinach & 2 for the fish);
- 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar (I use my bestie, Bragg’s. He’s so awesome, guys, LEGIT.);
- 2 tbsp. of fresh lime juice;
- ½ tsp. of smoked paprika;
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder;
- ½ tsp. of dried parsley;
- ¼ tsp. of fresh ground pepper;
- UHM, in case you didn’t already know… I use Simply Organic.
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt to taste;
- Pasta or noodles of your choosing! (LET YOUR MINDS RUN WILD HERE TOO MY LOVES);
OKAY, now that we’ve got the ingredients down-packed (and since you’re so organized and they’re already all laid out on your counter… LAWLZ, JK), how do you combine all this beautifulness & end up with that masterpiece, you ask? LET ME TELL YA:
- Preheat your oven to 350F;
- In a mixing bowl, add the: Dijon, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, smoked paprika, garlic powder, dried parsley, pepper & sea salt & WHISK UNTIL FULLY COMBINED. This is your MARINADE, PEOPLE;
- Chop your onion, cherry tomatoes, basil, cilantro & dill;
- Boil them noodles according to package directions & drain. Set aside. (GUYS, if you like your noodles any other way than al denté, please refrain from ever speaking to me again. If that’s truly the case, you’ve been eating pasta wrong your entire life & I genuinely pity you. BUT, WE CANNOT BE FRIENDS);
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper & coat it with some EVOO or non-stick cooking spray. Lay out your onions, cherry tomatoes & fresh herbs, THEN… THAT MOMENT GUYS, THAT MOMENT, top the veggies with your beautiful cod fillets (THE SIGHT WILL BE MINDBLOWING. MOUTHWATERING. YOUR STOMACH IS GROWLING. I KNOW, THE STRUGGLE IS REAL);
- Pour the marinade over your cod & veggies (ZOMFG, you beauty!!!!!);
- BAKE YOUR FISH & VEGGIES at 350F for 8-10 minutes (See how easy it is? Almost everything happens on one baking sheet…. EXCEPT THE SPINACH. SPINACH, I’M COMING FOR YOU. GUYS, PATIENCE, PATIENCE);
- BY THE WAY, if you guys bake your fish for any longer, I do not take responsibility for it not being flakey. I told you to bake it for 8-10 minutes, now make an effort to watch your fish, to use your timer & to moderate the volume on your Netflix binge so that you hear the timer when she’s ready. If you are irresponsible, it ain’t my problem anymore! K, thanks. RANT OVER. P.S. For me, 9 minutes did the trick! But timing does vary based on ovens, which is why you need to FOCUS;
- While your fish is baking a.k.a. BE TIME EFFICIENT (& you’re drooling at the smell in your kitch, I know, I’m making this real hard for you my loves but we’re almost there!!!), heat a large skillet on medium-high heat (FOR ONCE, I’M LETTING YOU PUT IT ON HIGH) & add some olive oil & the other 2 cloves of garlic to the pan. Once HAWT, add the spinach and sauté that beauty until it’s wilted (This doesn’t take much time usually, especially on high heat – took about 2 minute for me!);
- Once the spinach is ready, add your boiled noodles to the pan and combine them with the beautifully wilted garlicky spinach (P.S. Yes, you will have garlic breath for the entire night after eating this, but who cares, IT’S SO WORTH IT);
- Plate the noodles & spinach;
- Once your fish is ready, TOP THE NOODLES & SPINACH WITH YOUR VEGGIES, HERBS & COD… et voilà. YOUR PERFECTLY PERFECT DINNER IS NOW READY TO BE DEVOURED & I KNOW IT, YOU SIMPLY CANNOT WAIT. SO GET TO IT MY LOVES! BON APPÉTIT, JE VOUS AIME! BISOUS!
BUT, BUT, BUT, before you go! Here are some pics (from tons of different angles, OBVS. Have you met me?) of what this beautiful deliciousness should look like (OH & GUYS, I had this baby with a side of kale & cabbage slaw, topped with some dried cranberries & a sesame ginger vinaigrette AND, WAIT FOR IT… 2 tbsp. of my Homemade Clean-Eating Tzatziki… I DIED. The savouriness of the tzatziki combined with the sweetness of the maple marinade on the cod… GUYS, CLOUD 9, I’M TELLING YOU. If you want to meet me there, MAKE HER ALREADY. I’m still there. You still have time).
OKAY, FINE, THE PICS… DRUMROLL PLEASE:
OK, BUT HOW GORGEOUS CAN YOU BE? Love y’all, xx! <3