The Perfect Little Hazelnut Cookies a.k.a. The-Passover-Struggle-Israel-But-These-Make-It-Easy
To all my fellow J’s (Short for: JEWS!), HAPPY ALMOST PASSOVER, A.K.A. HAPPY-CARB-DEPRIVATION A.K.A. KILL-ME-NOW. After several (desperate… I mean, we all are on Passover, right?) requests (YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND) for some Passover baking ideas, I present you with my Perfect Little Hazelnut Cookies a.k.a. The-Passover-Struggle-Israel-But-These-Make-It-Easy (Get it? The struggle ISRAEL… is real? KAY, if you still don’t get it, sorry not sorry. I don’t know how to make it clearer). They are essentially the most perfect cute little crispy meringue cookie with toasted hazelnuts… WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?!!?!?!
P.S. FULL DISCLOSURE: Even if you are not a fellow J, PLEASE DO YOURSELVES A FAVOUR & TRY THESE OUT. I know they sound really simple & seem like nothing special, BUT YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW SPECIAL THEY ARE TO ME. They will be to you too. I promise. TRY ME.
My loves, these babes are made with only three ingredients (& an optional fourth one, which I will tell about soon… I mean, later… when I’m done rambling… a.k.a. NEVAAAAA!) & SAID INGREDIENTS ARE SUPER CLEAN. No but seriously, if you guys are a fan of hazelnuts, a.k.a. if you like NUTELLA (and really, who doesn’t? If you don’t, you’re a sinner), you will LOVE LOVE LOVE, ABSOLUTELY & POSITIVELY LOVE, these babies (& MOI, of course). You have to be salivating & fantasizing by now… I mean, I used the word NUTELLA. In all seriousness though, the second I processed the fresh out da oven hazelnuts in my food processor, my kitchen smelled like PURE, RAW, NUTELLA HEAVEN. Legit wanted to chug the hazelnut meal I just created in dat processor & forget about the cookies. BUT, then I thought of you guys & my promise to Passover bake for you & I RESISTED. SO THANK YOU! <3
I know that Passover is tough my loves. Giving up carbs & all, it truly is hard to give up your one & only TRUE LOVE. The struggle ISRAEL, know. But these babes (Well… I mean, I) MAKE IT EASY FOR YOU. & You know what makes it even easier????? THE INGREDIENTS LIST:
- 2/3 cup of skin-on hazelnuts (WHO AGREES WITH ME THAT HAZELNUTS ARE JUST SO EFFING CUTE? I can’t);
- 1 large egg white;
- Pinch of salt;
- 1/3 cup of sugar or sugar substitute
YEP, that’s it. I swear. BTW, if you’re wondering why I said three ingredients (& not four), it’s because I legit don’t consider salt an ingredient… do you? IF YOU DO, WELL THEN THERE ARE FOUR INGREDIENTS, BUT WHO CARES. Your salt is already on your counter, right? KAY.
OK, NOW TO WHIP THESE CUTE LITTLE MUNCHKINS UP & be munching on them in no time, all you gotta do is this:
- Preheat your oven to 350F;
- Toast your hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet (GUYS, THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING. Like, the taste of toasted hazelnuts = LOVE.), tossing every now & then, until they are golden brown! (This should take 13-15 minutes, BUT WATCH YOUR HAZELNUTS. HAZELNUTS ARE EXPENSIVE. YOU DON’T WANT YOUR HAZELNUTS TO BURN, OK?);
- Wrap your nuts in a kitchen towel & let them steam for 1 minute or so. THEN, rub the nuts in the towel to remove the loose skins (They will just come off on their own but you don’t have to worry if some of them don’t come off – they don’t need to!).
- PULSE YOUR HAZELNUTS IN A FOOD PROCESSOR UNTIL THEY ARE COARSELY CHOPPED & look like “hazelnut meal” (Not sure if that’s a thing, but if not, I just made it a thing, a.k.a. it should look like very, very, very, very chopped up hazelnuts!). See photo below in case you have no clue in the world what I’m talking about LAWLZ! (SEE HOW EFFING AWESOME I AM?);
- Reduce your oven temperature to 300;
- Whisk the egg white & salt in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form (a.k.a. as if you were making meringues!!!!!!). THEN, gently fold in the sugar (or sugar substitute) & chopped HAZELNUTS until everything is well combined. Guys, the sight of this batter. YOU DIE. INSTANTLY, YOU JUST DIE (But not actually, ’cause then who would bake the cookies? AND WHO WOULD EAT THEM?);
- Using a tablespoon, spoon the batter onto a parchment-lined (& lightly sprayed) baking sheet, spacing these cuties about 2 inches apart;
- BAKE THE BABES UNTIL THEY ARE GOLDEN BROWN. This should take 16-18 minutes. BUT AGAIN, WATCH YOUR BABIES. YOU WATCH YOUR KIDS, RIGHT? SO WATCH YOUR COOKIES. TREAT THEM WITH THE LOVE & RESPECT THEY DESERVE.
- ONCE BAKED, transfer the cookies to wire racks to let them cool off (I guarantee you that for most, this step will not happen. You will devour these babies right off the baking sheet… & you know what? For once in my life, I ain’t judging you. I DID THE EXACT SAME THING. No shame!!!
NOW, you want to see pics these cuties, right? I OBVI TOOK SOME. When do I not? OH YA, BTW, the quantities in this recipe only gave me 10 little cookies… THAT DID NOT MAKE ME HAPPY. NEXT TIME, A.K.A. TOMORROW, I AM SO DOUBLING OR TRIPLING MY INGREDIENTS. I warned you. I told you in advance. Now you do what you want. BUT SERIOUSLY, you need more than ten of these babes. OKAY, PICS:
Hope you lovies enjoy my first Passover recipe!!!! Let me know 🙂 & please feel free to submit recipe requests. LIKE I SAID, YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND. Love you all, xx! <3