Morning mes amours! HAPPY SATURDAY 🙂
With Passover right around the corner, I’m feeling all the J-vibes & I thought I’d share an OLDIE-BUT-A-GOODIE with you to give you a quick, easy & SUPER-YUMMY-OMG-I-JUST-DIED-AND-WENT-TO-EGG-HEAVEN breaky/brunch/lunch/din idea! This baby can literally work for any of the four, miracle, right? I know. Talk about versatility.
This BABY s like EVERYTHING all-in-one – she’s bright, clean, healthy, savoury & spicy (yet, just the right amount of sweet), full of protein & Vitamin C, can be made in one-skillet (a.k.a. I’m totz savage you dishwashing time!), & is super filling, not to mention, HOW GORGEOUS IS SHE? OH & I mean, it’s an egg recipe… who doesn’t like eggs? SERIOUSLY, IF YOU DON’T LIKE EGGS, BYE!
ANYWHO my loves, I present you with my Shakshuka with Crumbled Feta & Tons of Fresh Cilantro a.k.a. Taking-You-Back-to-my-Roots-I-Mean-Taking-You-to-Heaven!! “Okay, but if she claims she’s taking us to heaven, why does she need to ramble for like days before telling us what we need? We’re like on our way out to pick up the groceries & ain’t nobody got time for her rambling“. OKAY MY LOVES, FINE. Only because I love you. To whip up this wonderfulness, you will need:
- 3 tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil (I use Maison Orphée organic EVOO);
- 1 large onion, halved & thinly sliced (YES, people, I’m back at it with the “thinly sliced” request. If you’re going to keep following my recipes, IMPROVE THEM KNIFE SKILLS, OKAY?);
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded & thinly sliced (YOU KNOW YOU LOVE ME);
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (Yep, yep, AGAIN!!!!). P.S. WHO’S DOWN FOR DAT GARLIC BREATH?;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin (I use Simply Organic). Guys, if you don’t like cumin, simply don’t make this baby. No, kay fine, I’m joking, but seriously, this recipe NEEDS CUMIN, like CUMIN IS THIS RECIPE’S BABE. So please, even if you don’t like that stuff, try to make an effort. Your dish will be THAT MUCH more flavourful, I promise;
- 1 tsp. of sweet paprika (I use Simply Organic);
- 1/8 tsp. of cayenne pepper (I use Simply Organic);
- 1 (28-oz.) can of whole plum tomatoes, WITH THE JUICES & COARSELY CHOPPED (a.k.a. Please, listen to me, DO NOT DRAIN THE TOMATOES. YOU NEED ‘DEM JUICES);
- 1 tsp. of SUGAR!!!! (Guys, you will THANK ME. The sugar compliments the ACIDITY of the plum tomatoes so well. It’s VERY NECESSARY. It’ kind of like when you add sugar to your pasta sauce… you do that, right? I HOPE SO. And well, if you don’t, I just taught you two things: 1) Put sugar in your Shakshuka & 2) Put sugar in your pasta sauce. See how into “killing two (or more) birds with one stone” I am? TOLD YA! Seriously though, I’M S USEFUL! *TAPS SHOULDER*);
- 3/4 tsp. of salt;
- 1/4 tsp. of ground black peppppa;
- THE. BEST. MOST. CRUMBLY. LUSCIOUS. PART. OF. THIS. BABY.: 5 oz. of FETA CHEESE, CRUMBLED (In case you’re wondering what the eff I’m talking about when I say 5 oz… DON’T BE LAZY, GOOGLE IT. No, but since I’m so awesome & stuff, 5 oz. is the equivalent of 1 1/4 cups. Just saved you time AGAIN!);
- KAY, BUT WHAT IS SHAKSHUKA WITHOUT THE EGGS? NADA. PEOPLE. NADA. 6 large eggs, kay, thanks!;
- TONS & TONS & TONS of chopped cilantro!!!!!!;
- OPTIONAL: At your own risk, DAT HOT SAUCE.
“OK, she needs to stop ramblng“… I know guys, I really do, but I’m already tackling two obstacles these days, so please, patience is a virtue, I’ll tackle the rambling some other time. NOW, HOW DO YOU WHIP UP THIS ONE-PAN-WONDER-THAT-WILL-HAVE-YOU-BEGGING-FOR-MORE?
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees;
- Heat the EVOO in a large skillet over MEDIUM-LOW heat (You guys really need to listen to me when I recommend medium-low heat & STOP PUTTING YOUR OVENS ON HIGH. Do you want burnt onions? Do you want burnt peppers? Didn’t think so. SO please, be mindful of your stove temperatures. K THANKS!);
- Add onion & bell pepper to skillet & cook gently until VERY SOFT (Guys, this will take about 20 minutes… again, patience is a virtue. I promise, it’s worth it);
- Add the garlic & cook until tender (This takes less time, a.k.a. 1-2 minutes, YAY!);
- STIR IN THE CUMIN, PAPRIKA & CAYENNE & cook for a minute (If you haven’t already noticed, I have this insane obsession with spices & seasonings, like… if you saw my spice/seasoning corner… YOU. WOULD. DIE. Kay fine, I’ll show you!!!!). PAUSE RECIPE.
HERE SHE IS BABIES (Oh, and did I mention this is just a PART of it?):
- POUR IN THE TOMATOES (ZOMFG, you so beautiful. P.S. VITAMIN C FOR THE WIN) & season with 3/4 tsp. of salt & 1/4 tsp. of pepper.
- SIMMMMER THIS BABY until the tomatoes have thickened (This should take about 10 minutes);
- Guys, IT’S THAT TIME. If you thought I was going to forget the feta, you don’t know me & we cannot, I repeat, we cannot be friends anymore. We cannot even be acquaintances anymore. STIR IN DAT CRUMBLED FETA NOW;
- GENTLY (Yes, gently. Do you want to ruin your yolks? NOBODY LIKES RUINED YOLKS) crack the beautiful eggs into the skillet over your tomatoes. Season those babies with salt & pepper;
- AND NOW… transfer your skillet into the oven & bake this beauty of a dish until the eggs are JUST SET (This should take 7-10 minutes lovies, BUT PLEASE, WATCH YOUR SHAKSHUKA. WATCH YOUR EGGS. CARE FOR YOUR EGGS. NOBODY LIKES OVERCOOKED EGGS;
- Sprinkle this baby with cilantro & serve with HOT SAUCE (at your own risk!!!!!)
- OPTIONAL: Serve this baby with a side of plain Greek yogurt (ZOMFG) & some extra cilantro! I swear, the creaminess of the Greek yogurt combined with the tanginess of the tomatoes & the hint of sweetness from DAT SUGAR… YOU DIE & GO TO HEAVEN. LITERALLY.
- NOT OPTIONAL IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM: PERFECT TOAST OR PITA. YOU NEED TOAST. YOU NEED TO DIP THE TOAST IN THE TOMATOES & THE EGG YOLKS. GUYS, LIKE… that whole no-carb thing cannot & will not, under any circumstances, apply, when you make this babe of a dish. GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK. Let go!!! BE STRATEGIC. MAKE IT ON THE WEEKEND (A.K.A. I KNOW YOU CHEAT ON THE WEEKENDS, SO DON’T LET ME DOWN. TOAST. OKAY? TOAST!!).
P.S. I made this baby with a Moroccan Mint Iced Tea (WHAT!) which is uber-easy to make & you know, since I took you back to my roots & all, I figured it would be only fair to tell you guys how to make it (SINCE YOU PROBS HAVE NO IDEA ANYWAYS). Honestly, it’s pretty self-explanatory!!!! BUT, BUT, BUT, I love you guys. So listen up, all you gotta do is:
- Pour some loose Chinese green tea into a teapot with 1 cup of boiling water. Swirl gently to warm the pot & rinse your tea. Strain out the tea & discard the water, BUT KEEP THE TEA LEAVES IN THE POT!!!;
- Add four cups of boiling water to the tea & let it steep for about 2 minutes (I’m giving you enough iced tea for six servings because I KNOW YOU WILL WANT MORE. I KNOW YOU WILL GO BACK FOR SECONDS. THIRDS. AND FOURTHS. I am being time-efficient, okay?
- Stir 3-4 tbsp. of sugar & 1 large bunch of fresh mint (about 1 oz.) into the teapot & steep 3-4 minutes more!;
- Serve this wonderfulness in heatproof (PEOPLE, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED) glasses. ADD ICE & TOP WITH SOME FRESH MINT & BAM! You sippin’ on dat moroccan mint iced tea & BEST OF ALL, YOU’RE FREAKING LOVING IT (& ME, DUH!);
- You like need to serve this yumminess in a mason jar… I’m hipster & stuff, kay?
UM GUYS, wait for this pic… Like, why I am a lawyer & not a chef & photographer is beyond me… IF SIMPLY THE PIC TAKES YOU TO HEAVEN, IMAGINE WHAT THE FIRST BITE WILL DO TO YOU. Can’t put it into words. Get off your butts. Make this babe & then TELL ME HOW YOU FELT WHEN YOU TOOK THE FIRST BITE. I BET IT WAS LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT (OOOOOOPS, I meant bite!). <3
Enjoy my loves!!!! 🙂 Xoxo